Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
SRanger331
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
In the first photo turned so the key is up, the fuses are in the lower right of the bucket. You have a white(maybe grey) wire with a black stripe, straight behind that there is a plastic bit with pairs of green wires sticking out, those are the fuses, should be two.
As for the lamp, when you remove the retainer there should be a spring and the lamp. The lamp base has a disc connected to it, my guess is that broke off. You could probably just solder it back on, I can't find an old bulb to see for sure. Auto parts stores will have H4's (I think) that will fit, but the beam is horrible. Bob's BMW has one that'll work much better.

SRanger331 screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 04:00 AM
SRanger331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger331 View Post
In the first photo turned so the key is up, the fuses are in the lower right of the bucket. You have a white(maybe grey) wire with a black stripe, straight behind that there is a plastic bit with pairs of green wires sticking out, those are the fuses, should be two.
As for the lamp, when you remove the retainer there should be a spring and the lamp. The lamp base has a disc connected to it, my guess is that broke off. You could probably just solder it back on, I can't find an old bulb to see for sure. Auto parts stores will have H4's (I think) that will fit, but the beam is horrible. Bob's BMW has one that'll work much better.
I have like ten stock NIB lamps for the /5s. I don't think an H4 will fit the hole without mod? Maybe!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
SRanger331
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Yeah I had to break some bits off to make it fit. It was a temporary solution while waiting on the mail.
SRanger331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mpls View Post
Hey Sniper, please shoot the model number this way. No pun intended with "shoot" and your name.

Daniel
Will do, I'll look tonight.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mpls View Post
So, at the end of the day i lost:
- neutral light in the dashboard
- all 4 turn signals
- stop light
- the electric starter

i don't know if a faulty battery can really affect so many things.

there must be a correlation between what i have done with the key and the electric issue. I messed up with the key a lot, i rotated 360 degrees many times, lifted up and down a million times and so on.

tomorrow i will attempt looking at the fuses and all that cluster of wires that resides in the headlight bucket like someone here suggested, and at the same time i will look at the battery.
Mine progressively lost those same things as the battery voltage dropped. Your fuses are fine, my battery would get so low it would not light any of the dash indicators and the first one to go was the Nuetral light and it wouldn't even kick start, i hadda bump start it which I HATE to do on a /5......
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
No resolution. The fuses appears to be fine. I tried to hook the battery to the charger to see if i could use the electric starter that way: nothing. I charged the battery overnight: nothing. My knowledge is too limited, I want to learn this bike but I will have to start from simpler more "straight to the point" tasks. I think I'll have to bring the bike to a mechanic. Thank you all for the help.
d_mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
Airhead Steve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Do you really live downtown? I live near the U of M. We have a good group of Airheads here in MN. We have a Tech Day coming up in May and could work on your bike then. You work, we teach. Usually we all learn. Mechanics cost $$
I try to do it myself. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you details.
Steve
1975 R60/6
1984 R80RT
Airhead Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Steve View Post
Do you really live downtown? I live near the U of M. We have a good group of Airheads here in MN. We have a Tech Day coming up in May and could work on your bike then. You work, we teach. Usually we all learn. Mechanics cost $$
I try to do it myself. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you details.
Steve
1975 R60/6
1984 R80RT
d mpls: if ever an angel tapped you on the shoulder, Airhead Steve is that Angel. The issues which you are dealing with are standard fare for the new airhead owner. Every (generally neglected for a while) 40 year old bike needs to be sorted out. That is a process, not an overnight thing. Take Steve up on his offer. You'll learn more in four hours than you would in four weeks. When you get together with some friendly Mpls airheads, they'll help you learn about your new bike, and show you how to sort it. BTW, have Steve or another airhead show you how to clean up the contacts on the starter relay.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #24
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 662
Keep us posted. I'm in Hastings and it'd sure be nice to learn a few things about these bikes. I've been so frustrated at times... Still thinking about selling my R90/6.
I'm betting on the battery

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #25
Airhead Steve
Adventurer

Sanders is your R90 running? If so you could ride it over to tech day as well. You can join us for the day either way. If any MN Airhead riders are interested in the Tech Day shoot me a message and I will give you the details.
re: starter relay- one of the things I was thinking of, clean the contacts and make sure it is working. If it still is starting with the kick starter d_mpls can ride it to tech day. There is even a chance we could look at it before then. I just stumbled across this thread, strange.
Steve

Airhead Steve screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 07:28 AM
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #26
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I bought an AGM battery at Walmart and can tell you which one it was and it works GREAT and fits perfectly and only cost $78.00. The one O took out of the bike was $169.95 at the BMW shop. The one from wally has a 2 year warranty too. If you want me to Ill give you the model number for the wally battery.
What model battery did you get?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Airhead Steve
Adventurer

In MN We have Fleet Farm stores. The Road Runner Batteries they sell are made by Deka which is a Pennsylvania company. I currently have a AGM Road Runner battery in my R60/6 and have been happy with it. They go on sale about once a month right around the walmart (79) price. The Walmart battery might be the same battery, who knows.
Steve
Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #28
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Steve View Post
Sanders is your R90 running? If so you could ride it over to tech day as well. You can join us for the day either way. If any MN Airhead riders are interested in the Tech Day shoot me a message and I will give you the details.
re: starter relay- one of the things I was thinking of, clean the contacts and make sure it is working. If it still is starting with the kick starter d_mpls can ride it to tech day. There is even a chance we could look at it before then. I just stumbled across this thread, strange.
Steve
Yes its running. I think I've got it sorted, but would like to learn more, a lot more...Needs a different exhaust. 2 into 1 POS sounds like crap, but I'm loathe to sink even more money into it...
I can do the valves and stuff on my 07 R1200 but dont have a clue about the old airhead.
I could write a Tolstoy like novel on this but I have to run.
Have to see if I can get someone to cover me at work or I'll miss yet another tech day

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
What model battery did you get?
Ill look tonight I promise!

Working great though!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #30
lancruza