ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #511
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,922
Clock with seconds display

Has anyone found a clock display on the Oregon 450 that displays seconds? This is the 1st GPS I have ever had that did not have a good clock display. It seems a shame to only have 1 minute resolution on a clock that should be accurate to better than a microsecond

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #512
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
Has anyone found a clock display on the Oregon 450 that displays seconds? This is the 1st GPS I have ever had that did not have a good clock display. It seems a shame to only have 1 minute resolution on a clock that should be accurate to better than a microsecond
If you go to the Trip Computer and have the time displayed on that screen, choose large characters at the bottom right and you'll see this kind of display.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #513
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,922
Thanks!

I knew somebody on advrider would be smart enough to know the answer.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #514
PJveetwin
LD-Ordie

Oddometer: 370
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, a wealth of information has been shared here!

I've been pretty happy with my 376C, then later, adding a 60CSX. But after my wife got hooked on Geocaching, I decided to add either the Montana or the Oregon to my gadgets. As much as I liked the Montana,I just can't justify the extra expense right now, so even with the known USB issue, after reading this thread, I decided to go with the 550T. Most of my usage will be on a road bike and a 4-wheel drive, so I don't think 'llI have the vibration issues discussed here.

Thanks again to all for giving me the tools to make the right decision

Jim

Member of "Team Pterodactyl"
Combat Touring!!

05-FJR 1300
05-650 Dakar
03-1150 GS Sport
70-FLH Shovelhead
50-FL Panhead
76- Bultaco 370 Pursang
98-Yamaha TW200
84-Yamaha TT-600
56-650 Triumph T-120, needs work......
1964 Land Rover Series IIA Gotta have at least one car
PJveetwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #515
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Garmin Oregon x50 (WebUpdater) software version 5.30

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4523

Change History

Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #516
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Route Problem

Hopefully someone can help me with this problem. I have read an not found a solution.

I have a problem that the Oregon 200 that I have always recalculates the route once on the gps. I have a route downloaded from the internet that looks great in both Mapsource and Bacecamp. These are routes with few waypoints but with many turns. When I load the route on the gps it immediately recalculates the route to a different route than is shown on the computer. Is there anyway to make it keep the same route? What settings do I have wrong? I am on the latest 4.20 firmware. I have tried adding waypoints in the past and also translating the route into a track and following that. There should be a better way.

Thanks for your help.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #517
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
There is no way of avoiding the recalc that I am aware of. Add (way) more waypoints (called via points) to your route to keep it more true to the original. Or create a track from it and follow the track...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #518
bchunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ren View Post
I've been using the Oegon almost daily for 4 months now, touring around South East Asia.

It's mounted on a RAM mount - which by the way if you are looking for something sturdy even off road, that won't give you any hassle or worries, you should invest in.

The Oregon has been flawlessly doing what any tourer needs in term of tracking, mapping routes and keeping records of waypoints etc.. I've used it under heavy moonsoon rain and scorching sun. My bike doesn't by a long shot minimize vibrations so the Oregon has had its share of "bad vibes", not to mention the particularly bad roads of northern Vietnam and Laos that didn't go easy on the ride. But this little GPS is performing amazingly. It's great to travel with because of its tiny size, and ease of use. I often take it with me when not riding and just exploring towns and country sides.

I use rechargeable batteries, they last me 10h with the GPS set on battery save, with the display on full brightness. I carry another two batteries with me in case I ride for more hours. I have been riding at noon with the sun all over the place and never had any problems reading the screen. This is partly thanks to the RAM mount that allows me to make subtle shifts in the GPS position to get the best of the screen view.

I didn't use at all the USB charging, so I can't comment on that. The waterproof-ness of the unit has been perfect and reliable. It took a few dips in mud and dirt and is still performing like nothing happened.

I was worried before buying it about handling it with gloves, and about the screen display size. But you actually get used to the size of the screen really quickly and the navigation is very clear and easy to follow. Gloves on you are never bothered with them, I barely see a difference with using the GPS without gloves !

Absolutely worth the money, I'm really happy with it.
Just wanted to put out a thank-you for writing this. This is the kind of real world info and story that I was looking for. It was time to upgrade from the old 60 and I was having a real toss up. I liked the Oregon, but was not too sure how it would put up to my abuse. Your post covered my concerns and helped me pull the trigger on the Oregon.

And also a thanks out to Emmbeedee as well for a wealth of real world experience, not just opinion. Great posts by both you guys.

Thanks.
bchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #519
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchunter View Post
And also a thanks out to Emmbeedee as well for a wealth of real world experience, not just opinion. Great posts by both you guys.
Thanks for the feedback - it's good to know it is of some use. The Oregon is a really awesome device, just too small for my old eyes now.

I just noticed, there's been a few software updates for the Oregon. Must update my wife's 550 to the latest.

Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.50:

Improved GPS response at low speeds.
Fixed potential issue when exiting geocache descriptions

Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.40:

Added Geocaching with Photos (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupda...th-photos.html)
Fixed potential naming issues with imported routes from BaseCamp
Fixed issue with 'Hut' point type in TOPO Australia & New Zealand maps
Fixed issue with magnetic north offset when projecting a waypoint
Fixed issue with track log recording while using the stopwatch
Fixed mass storage issue when used without batteries

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4523
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #520
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
There is no way of avoiding the recalc that I am aware of. Add (way) more waypoints (called via points) to your route to keep it more true to the original. Or create a track from it and follow the track...
Thanks for the reply. I now think that you are right, but there are things that you can do. My process of how I figured it out is as follows. I opened up the gpx file in Basecamp and made tracks of the route and saved it all in the same file. I then opened it in Mapsource because it shows all or the items in the file on the screen at a time. I then added a via point about the middle of the route and then the computer recalculates the route. I found some mapsource tutorials about routing and I think some are on this site. I then continued adding via points until the route followed track that I made earlier. Be aware that the route still may not work correctly if reversed and more via points may need to be added.

I have found that I have trouble using Basecamp for some of the things that I want to do and Mapsource does them easier. Basecamp does some things that Mapsource won't though.

I now feel that I can make routes that actually work.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #521
O'Ren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchunter View Post
Just wanted to put out a thank-you for writing this. This is the kind of real world info and story that I was looking for. It was time to upgrade from the old 60 and I was having a real toss up. I liked the Oregon, but was not too sure how it would put up to my abuse. Your post covered my concerns and helped me pull the trigger on the Oregon.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback, indeed like Emmbeedee says, it's good to know it's useful to others :)
Still using this baby, and now almost a year with it I'm still a super happy user. Even if I'm a gear freak, I don;t even feel the need to look for what's out there now in terms of GPS devices, because this little wizard does everything I need it to :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Problem, with my goggles on or sunglasses on (which is always) the polarized shielding makes the Oregon 450 screen nearly worthless. Holy crap, is their a fix for this? It is so dark and has such glare, I am thinking of just selling this unit on CL and sticking with my very readable 60cs instead.

The garmin gal said I needed to buy a reflector shield and the screen should be brighter and more visible. .??

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Tia
I always ride with sunglasses on, and have no issues reading the screen, maybe because I put this on :

Invisible Shield by ZAGG, bought on Amazon here

I initially put it to protect the screen but it's possible that it helps reading it with sunglasses on too - I wouldn't know as I never used the GPS without the screen, put it on right out of the box.

Maybe if you can afford it, a $15 trial of the screen to see how it fairs with your sunglasses on could be a solution ?
Even if you end up selling the Oregon off, this screen is a must have and will be a great addition for the person who buys the GPS from you. Unlike other screens I've tried on my phone and other devices before, this screen cak take ANYTHING. Believe it or not, there is not a single scratch on it after riding in dirt, rocks and crappy weather, and carrying the GPS around in pockets and bags with all sorts of other items (keys, tools, pens, random crap that finds its way in my pockets..)

Oh and I always use the Oregon with brightness at the max. (and energy saving option ON).

Hope this helps !

O'Ren screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 07:02 AM
O'Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #522
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Problem, with my goggles on or sunglasses on (which is always) the polarized shielding makes the Oregon 450 screen nearly worthless. Holy crap, is their a fix for this?
Yes quite simple. LCDs use polarization to work, therefore you should not use polarized sun glasses or goggles. Reflected glare is mostly horizontal polarization so all these lenses are vertical polarization to block it. Any time you use two cross polarized lenses, it blocks most of the light. Just use tinted lenses and they will work fine.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #523
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

New Beta Release for the Oregon X50 Series:

Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.60:

Added new route activity types and improved BaseCamp compatibility. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupda...th-garmin.html) for more information.
Added support for Kenwood NMEA Waypoint Sentence
Improved GPS response at low speeds
Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from Basecamp (identical maps required)
Fixed Spell Search in German
Problems with this software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com
Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #524
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 896
Hi, I am just looking for some updates in regards to the hardwire mini-usb situation. I have decided to go with an Oregon 450 that I can get for $250. The next best thing is the Montana, but I dont want to spend that much right now, so Oregon it is.

I have read through this thread completely, and really the only drawback seems to be that silly mini-usb. It looks like some hardwire/USB solutions fit tighter and seem to hold up better? I already have the 3BR Powersports TAPP USB so a USB power seems to make the most sense. So, to those with the Oregon still, how are the mini USB's holding up? Does the 3BR one seem to hold up best or ???

Thanks!
DAVE
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #525
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
I have read through this thread completely, and really the only drawback seems to be that silly mini-usb. It looks like some hardwire/USB solutions fit tighter and seem to hold up better? I already have the 3BR Powersports TAPP USB so a USB power seems to make the most sense. So, to those with the Oregon still, how are the mini USB's holding up? Does the 3BR one seem to hold up best or ???
When I was running the Oregon 450 on my F800GS, I used the Garmin 12V to mini-USB adapter connected to the BMW adapter cable and it worked flawlessly. When riding in the rain, I ensured there was no water getting near the connections and there were no issues there.

When I use my Oregon on my DRZ, it's run on battery power simply because I don't yet have a 12V power source on it.

In my experience, I wouldn't exclude the Oregon 450 from my GPS choices simply because of the mini-USB.