Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #1516
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJp99 View Post
Lucky you. This is a known problem with the ear bud mounts. Mine last abou 4-6 months before they break. I'm not the only one experiencing this.
I am gonna sound like a fanboy, but, if I were using one of the earbud mounts, and was aware of their propensity to break, I would get me some Sugru and mold a reinforcement around the base of that jack. Sugru will stick to anything and is easy to work (for about 30 minutes) and once hardened (24 hours) is incredible stuff. I guarantee you it would do the job here.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #1517
Macho Man2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Upgrade

Hey, I got it done. I called SENA and after talking to them it was Firefox that was preventing me from downloading it. I went on internet explorer and it downloaded fast. Now to learn how to use all this new technology.

Bill
Macho Man2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #1518
Oregonwinger66
Oregonwinger

Oddometer: 31
Hmmmm. I used F F to d-load, and no problems. What version? 9.0.1 here. My wife's hospital program wouldn't run in earlier FF, but it works fine on 9.0.1. Glad you got er'.
Oregonwinger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #1519
wingwing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
no luck with mine...
.. purchased last month.
.. came with 3.1 .. works mostly ok except hers has more "snap, crackle and pop" than mine does.

Then, when the new upgrade came out I updated the first day.
After the upgrade, the maximum intercom volume on both was "down" about 30 percent or more
(just estimating by the jog control).
So I "restored" to 3.1 and all was well again... the volume is fantastic.

Then I read all the posts about there being an undocumented "revised" version of the .img file that fixed the volume and other problems..
..so I uninstalled the download manager, re installed a new one, then upgraded the .img file to a new one (today) and tried everything all over again.

bummer... same result as the first upgrade attempt.
She has the same "snap, crackle and pop" and the intercom volume is once again way down in the barely audible range.

well.. I'm going to try and restore back to 3.1 again
.. then, I'll probably just give up for awhile until a I see a REAL version upgrade (4.01.. or something similar).

Sorry but, being able to hear each other is the most important thing
.... all the other bells and whistles are nice but not if we have to give up hearing each other.

:-(

Dennis
wingwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #1520
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Dennis,

Did you do a full reset to factory defaults after the firmware update? Sena recommends this even though the update supposedly performs one too during installation. Can't hurt.

-dan
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #1521
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Dennis,

Did you do a full reset to factory defaults after the firmware update? Sena recommends this even though the update supposedly performs one too during installation. Can't hurt.

-dan
Also I always remove the device from the phone (or mp3, or sr10) as well after an upgrade.
Then start from scratch and repair everything.
I know the version of bluetooth changed with 4.0. Is that something shared when a device is pared?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #1522
wingwing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Dennis, Did you do a full reset to factory defaults after the firmware update? Sena recommends this even though the update supposedly performs one too during installation. Can't hurt. -dan
I'm assuming you mean a "reset" by putting a paper clip in the small hole in the back?
.. if yes, then yes, I did.

I did that both before I loaded the V4 and then again after I loaded the V4..
.. I know the V4 was installed because I now had voice prompts instead of beeps.

One thing I should have done is upgrade my image file before 4.0 was released.
.. I'm not sure how "old" my SMH10's are, but when I restore them, I always come back to V 3.1
.... I think there were two more revisions after that?
..... maybe I should contact tech support and see if they will supply me with the last (3.3) revision.

open for any other thoughts or suggestions..

thanks,
Dennis
wingwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #1523
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Dennis,

Based on "belt & suspenders" I did the pinhole rest too, but no, I was talking about when you hold the Phone button for 12 seconds, then tap the Jog Dial (p 28 of the new manual).

-dan
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #1524
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Yep, that is them. I think I've seen that guy post up those before, so I think you are good. Let us know how they are when they show up.

Well, I got them, and it's not going to work. The Cardo BTA II pairs with the Sena just fine doing the multi point pairing thing.

There are several downfalls though.

For one, it takes about 4 beeps for the Cardo to realize to connect. That is an unacceptable delay, and if you pick up just a single beep it won't connect at all, which is also unnacceptable, as by the time the thing will connect you will be the one getting blasted and ticketed.

The other issue is that once it does connect, for one, there is a lot of feedback, which it isn't that loud, and probably wouldn't be heard at speed, but very noticable in the earbuds in the garage. The second issue once it does connect is that it takes about a minute to disconnect, which in itself, not that bad, although kind of annoying, but if the Zumo makes any sort of noise other than music while the Cardo is connected, such as a GPS instruction, weather alert, etc, it will temporarily interupt the Cardo, then go back to the Cardo, then either the Zumo or the Sena will drop the connection between eachother and only the Cardo is connected. Once the Cardo finally disconnects, the Zumo 50% of the time will re-connect, but only in mono, not in stereo. The other 50% of the time it does not re-connect at all.

BUMMER! I was hoping this would work. I don't think this Cardo is really compatible with any use, not just the radar detector, with the Sena. It just takes too long to connect and disconnect. Even if you used it with a non-bluetooth GPS for voice instruction, you would miss half of the instructions by the time it connected and you heard anything. Looks like these are going back on ebay!

Looks like the SR10 really is the only way to go, especially if it does as they claim and overlays the beeps over the music you are listening to, instead of interupting it. I wish they would come out with a version with only one input without the radio features for cheaper, and that wasn't so big.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #1525
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Well, I got them, and it's not going to work. The Cardo BTA II pairs with the Sena just fine doing the multi point pairing thing.

There are several downfalls though.

For one, it takes about 4 beeps for the Cardo to realize to connect. That is an unacceptable delay, and if you pick up just a single beep it won't connect at all, which is also unnacceptable, as by the time the thing will connect you will be the one getting blasted and ticketed.

The other issue is that once it does connect, for one, there is a lot of feedback, which it isn't that loud, and probably wouldn't be heard at speed, but very noticable in the earbuds in the garage. The second issue once it does connect is that it takes about a minute to disconnect, which in itself, not that bad, although kind of annoying, but if the Zumo makes any sort of noise other than music while the Cardo is connected, such as a GPS instruction, weather alert, etc, it will temporarily interupt the Cardo, then go back to the Cardo, then either the Zumo or the Sena will drop the connection between eachother and only the Cardo is connected. Once the Cardo finally disconnects, the Zumo 50% of the time will re-connect, but only in mono, not in stereo. The other 50% of the time it does not re-connect at all.

BUMMER! I was hoping this would work. I don't think this Cardo is really compatible with any use, not just the radar detector, with the Sena. It just takes too long to connect and disconnect. Even if you used it with a non-bluetooth GPS for voice instruction, you would miss half of the instructions by the time it connected and you heard anything. Looks like these are going back on ebay!

Looks like the SR10 really is the only way to go, especially if it does as they claim and overlays the beeps over the music you are listening to, instead of interupting it. I wish they would come out with a version with only one input without the radio features for cheaper, and that wasn't so big.
Well, that stinks, I didn't think about the delays and using it with the radar detector, but that does kind of make sense since it takes a minute for the BT to exchange a handshake and open up their connection. .

You do know that Sena has the SM10, right? This is similar to the SR10, but doesn't have the radio input and it supports A2DP which the SR10 only supports HFP. Looks to be a bit cheaper than the SR10 - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...oms/sena-sm10/
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #1526
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Well, that stinks, I didn't think about the delays and using it with the radar detector, but that does kind of make sense since it takes a minute for the BT to exchange a handshake and open up their connection. .

You do know that Sena has the SM10, right? This is similar to the SR10, but doesn't have the radio input and it supports A2DP which the SR10 only supports HFP. Looks to be a bit cheaper than the SR10 - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...oms/sena-sm10/
Yes. I undertand that the SM10 is coming out, but I fail to see how that is going to accomplish anything. It looks like all that will do is allow you to connect two headsets to one stereo source. I'm not sure how that would accomplish getting my Zumo, iphone, and radar detector into my helmet wirelessly. But who knows, I guess we'll see when it comes out as they never really spell out the functionality of their products when advertising them. 6 months ago when I called them when the SR10 was coming out, they said the SR10 would do everything I want(iphone to zumo 665, zumo to smh10 and radar detector to sr10, sr10 to smh10, with the radar beeps overlaying whatever was coming out of the zumo). Well, that was not the case until about 3 weeks ago when v4.0 came out, so their marketing/support team doesn't even know what works with their products until they get to market and we complain about how it doesn't work as promised. So, I guess we'll see when the SM10 gets into the hands of the public what it actually does.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #1527
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
... they said the SR10 would do everything I want(iphone to zumo 665, zumo to smh10 and radar detector to sr10, sr10 to smh10, with the radar beeps overlaying whatever was coming out of the zumo).
I'm not convinced the SR10 will do what you want, even with the new SMH10 firmware. The fault, however, is with Garmin at this point. Specifically, the zumo 66x series is not happy pairing with the SMH10 using multi-point pairing to allow two HFP connections (one for the SR10). It sort of works, but that was not good enough for me.

I ended up with the following, which works quite well, but does not meet all of your requirements:

zumo 660 and Valentine 1 hardwired to SR10. iPhone paired to SMH10. SR10 paired to SMH10. I get radar alerts mixed in under all circumstances, except when a 3- or 4-way intercom conference is in progress. During a two-way intercom call the other rider can hear the V1, which lets him sponge off me [grin].

Connecting the iPhone through the zumo, even before I bought any Sena gear, was never very reliable. So I find the tradeoff quite acceptable -- giving up caller ID for really good voice-activated answer and dialing on the iPhone, with no need to fumble around on the zumo screen.

-dan
Old 04-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #1528
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Thumb Got the iPhone -> SMH10 <- Garmin Zumo 665 working for me

I paid the $119 + S&H&T to Sena for the SMH10 (B) with the intent of simultaneously having my iPhone 4S and Garmin Zumo 665 each connected to the Sena SMH10 running V4 firmware. FYI: The $49 offer was not available even though I asked I have been using the original SMH10 (as a pair) for nearly 1 year already. Couldn't get it to work at the start but i ultimately got it to work. In retrospect, my male-aversion to reading the manual carefully was my initial undoing.

The reason that I'm posting this is that I have my intended configuration working successfully. The steps which worked for me were:
  1. Download V4 firmware [FYI: I did this on April 4th with no issues in downloading or functioning of running the firmware in my SMH10(B). I have been using it for a couple of weeks now.]
  2. Delete the Bluetooth pairings for the SMH10 from my iPhone. For the Zumo, I deleted all pairing to any Bluetooth devices because the iPhone was paired at one time.
  3. Followed section 6.3.1 for the iPhone pairing (see below for a copy of manual sections)
  4. Verified music from the iPhone played well.
  5. Followed section 6.3.3 for the Zumo pairing.
  6. Verified that the music still played well.
  7. Started a trial navigation route with the Zumo. It stopped the music to the in-helmet speaker and gave me the initial directions. After a brief pause, the music started back up.
  8. Turned everything off and turned everything back on.
  9. Retested with music and navigated route. Everything worked again.
  10. Hallelujah.
BTW: I have the Sena mounted on my Shoei RF1100 for a year & no problems.

----------------------------
6.1 Mobile Phone Pairing
1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone pairing”.
2. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile
phone.
3. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some mobile phone may not ask for the PIN. DIDN'T NEED TO DO THIS STEP
4. The mobile phone confirms that pairing has completed and the SMH10 is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SMH10 saying “Your headset is paired”.
5. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.
6.3 Bluetooth GPS Navigation Pairing ...
1. Turn on the headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Multipoint Pairing” .
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on the GPS navigation screen. Select the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the GPS.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. DIDN'T NEED TO DO THIS STEP
5. The GPS confirms that pairing has completed and the SMH10 is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SMH10 saying “Your headset is paired”.
6. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding

surferbum screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 04:50 PM
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #1529
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
I am gonna sound like a fanboy, but, if I were using one of the earbud mounts, and was aware of their propensity to break, I would get me some Sugru and mold a reinforcement around the base of that jack. Sugru will stick to anything and is easy to work (for about 30 minutes) and once hardened (24 hours) is incredible stuff. I guarantee you it would do the job here.
I just received my SMH-A0303 earbud helmet clamp kit and the earplug mount is different than those that I have seen before. The 3.5mm jack on mine is flexible with a built-in strain relief. It flexes from straight up to horizontal and sits naturally at a 45 degree angle.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #1530
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepsd View Post
I just received my SMH-A0303 earbud helmet clamp kit and the earplug mount is different than those that I have seen before. The 3.5mm jack on mine is flexible with a built-in strain relief. It flexes from straight up to horizontal and sits naturally at a 45 degree angle.
Good news.

Got a pic?
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote