Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #12031
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
Why? You think it should be more? With 5,5-6,0 in S, i'am in warp mode. :)

©
No, it was similar conditions to me when I did 4.5. So another Litre per 100 on top of that, unless you were breaking the dreaded "130Km/hour" guzzle barrier.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #12032
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,855
You Can't!

Trust the fuel gauge readout on the S10. Only way to check gas milage is to fill tank and ride till its almost empty, then fill again and see how much it took then divide the milage. I get about 50mpg Imperial on S mode riding semi aggresive on gravel and paved.
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #12033
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Yes I know, What I got was all corrected.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #12034
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
You seem to forget that in 1983 the Tenere fever originated exactly in these countries (+ France and a few others).

1983-1985 the REAL Tenere became an instant hit EXACTLY IN THESE COUNTRIES. It outsold any other bike (yes in Germany too) and was motorcycle of the year. You saw Teneres everywhere.

In other words if it was not for the EUROPEAN SUCCESS of the original Tenere, there would be problaly no Tenere today.

So there is no lack of experience and knowledge in Europe if it comes to evaluating a REAL Tenere.

If you like, you can also check http://www.rallye-tenere.net/ and see what the hardcore Tenere fanbase has to say about the 1200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yeah I know all about that, but there seems to be also mention of lots of enthusiasm and low sales even in those days.
Now I'm really puzzled, what part of "OUTSOLD ANY OTHER BIKE" and "WAS MOTORCYCLE OF THE YEAR" did you not understand?

Those days, you saw Teneres on every corner on every street. Europe was in Tenere fever. It was beautiful. And yes, I had one too.

Indeed, after the overwhelming/sweeping SALES SUCCESS of the ORIGINAL 1983 Tenere in GERMANY, ITALY and FRANCE, Europe was left has the largest Tenere fanbase/following AND consequently the largest combined Tenere knowledgebase in the entire world.

Point is: I would guess that those guys heard of the Yamaha 1200, know what they are doing and don't really need advice from anybody who never owed a Yamaha before.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #12035
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
No, it was similar conditions to me when I did 4.5. So another Litre per 100 on top of that, unless you were breaking the dreaded "130Km/hour" guzzle barrier.
Btw 100-130kmh...yeah, that's gentle.

©
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #12036
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Now I'm really puzzled, what part of "OUTSOLD ANY OTHER BIKE" and "WAS MOTORCYCLE OF THE YEAR" did you not understand?

Those days, you saw Teneres on every corner on every street. Europe was in Tenere fever. It was beautiful. And yes, I had one too.

Indeed, after the overwhelming/sweeping SALES SUCCESS of the ORIGINAL 1983 Tenere in GERMANY, ITALY and FRANCE, Europe was left has the largest Tenere fanbase/following AND consequently the largest combined Tenere knowledgebase in the entire world.

Point is: I would guess that those guys heard of the Yamaha 1200, know what they are doing and don't really need advice from anybody who never owed a Yamaha before.
Well fuck I'll just have to shut up then now I have been put in my place. Maybe you should do a flying visit to Australia and rev up the dealers with some of that excess love you have to spread around.

Now what are the actual sales figures for the S10 THESE Days. with sources. Would love to know.

Have you got one yet?

GrahamD screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 08:35 AM
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #12037
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Now what are the actual sales figures for the S10 THESE Days. with sources. Would love to know.
According to Motorrad's 25 Years Tenere Homage:

http://www.motorradonline.de/de/moto...maha-tnr/94605
"[...Die Ténéré schlug ein wie die sprichwörtliche Bombe. Die erste Variante brachte es auf 10500 Käufer in Europa, wo sie 1984 und 1985 das am häufigsten verkaufte Motorrad war...]"

= >

"...The Tenere hit like a bomb. The first version found 10500 buyers in Europe, where in 1985 and 1985 it became the most sold motorcycles.
.."

This Yamaha Motor Deutschland page lists the current numbers for all Dual Purpose Yamahas sold in Germany incl. the 1200.
http://www.yamaha-motor.de/de/inform...5jahre-xt.aspx

However it seems like their historical data for the original Tenere is incomplete, as their statistic are divided between 20KW and 32KW Models and they forgot to list the numbers for the 20KW Tenere models.

Quote:
Have you got one yet?
Nope, in short: not off-roady enough for my needs and I'm perfectly covered with what I have now.
But I'm would consider the rumored upcoming 900, if it is something that truly resembles more of the Dakar YZE/XTZ 850.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #12038
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
"Gentle"(T mode) 200k long ride...

©
Quote:
How do you manage that on a gentle T mode ride. What temperature was it at the time?
What fuel?

What kind of oil are you using?

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #12039
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
I own a KLR and have been wanting to upgrade my Tenere with this splash guard. Can you tell me if the rear tire clears the splash guard with full compression? I was thinking corrugated plastic but your trash can sounds good.

Did you do this on Earth Day?
Almost certain it will clear full compression as it curves up into the frame. The critical part is directly over the wheel, the more forward the less an issue it is. I'm not worried.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #12040
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
According to Motorrad's 25 Years Tenere Homage:

http://www.motorradonline.de/de/moto...maha-tnr/94605
"[...Die Ténéré schlug ein wie die sprichwörtliche Bombe. Die erste Variante brachte es auf 10500 Käufer in Europa, wo sie 1984 und 1985 das am häufigsten verkaufte Motorrad war...]"

= >

"...The Tenere hit like a bomb. The first version found 10500 buyers in Europe, where in 1985 and 1985 it became the most sold motorcycles.
.."

This Yamaha Motor Deutschland page lists the current numbers for all Dual Purpose Yamahas sold in Germany incl. the 1200.
http://www.yamaha-motor.de/de/inform...5jahre-xt.aspx

However it seems like their historical data for the original Tenere is incomplete, as their statistic are divided between 20KW and 32KW Models and they forgot to list the numbers for the 20KW Tenere models.

Nope, in short: not off-roady enough for my needs and I'm perfectly covered with what I have now.
But I'm would consider the rumored upcoming 900, if it is something that truly resembles more of the Dakar YZE/XTZ 850.
OK so if the Gesamt means total, by their own figures the current one is selling at about 10-20% of the rate of the GS/A.

Which is sort of what I have read else where. So I don't know what your beef is Mr Wind. If it was the Bimota XT1200z I am sure Bimota would be partying in the streets.

I don't think that is very fair on YAMAHA but like I said it's the HD thing all over again.

As long as YAMAHA are happy with that then fine. I think the US sales have surpassed that and the AUs sales are about 1/3, which is pretty good for a tenth of the population.

I don't think any of the Japanese manufacturers are going to get close to the GS/A. The Triumph might in England because they will win every shootout and be the answer to world hunger and the YAMAHA has some dirt DNA in it which the English press don't get at all. If YAMAHA release a spindly framed, R1 based jacked up sports bike they may be in with a chance, but they have made a real RTW bike which is a bit too "real world" for the English press it seems.

And as Suzuki found out, you have to be in it of the long haul to become a "standard".

For people in OZ it's a great compromise with the kind of roads we have to deal with out here though.

It's also a great bike in the real world and as long as YAMAHA keep up the spares I don't really care. If they do an XT900Z I will be in line for one of those for sure, if it is of the same quality.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #12041
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,204
Quote:
It's also a great bike in the real world and as long as YAMAHA keep up the spares I don't really care. If they do an XT900Z I will be in line for one of those for sure, if it is of the same quality.
A Yamaha 900 could end up being like the 800cc choices out right now. People would start
boobing about not great for double up riding. Want more carrying capacity. The shaft takes
too much performance away. Motorcyclists can be a spoiled whiney never satisfied group.

The ones that aren't are out riding right now and would never consider posting on a thread.

Hey wait, that makes me a .......nevermind.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #12042
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quick Comparison

Explorer to the Tenere

eemsreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #12043
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
That Exlorer looks Tiny compared to The Tenere!!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #12044
bubbaj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
It really does look smaller than the tenere. But according to the spec sheets it is only 5 pounds lighter. Both seem to be great bikes. I would go with the S10 still though, sweet bike and cheapish to maintain.
bubbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #12045
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaj View Post
It really does look smaller than the tenere. But according to the spec sheets it is only 5 pounds lighter. Both seem to be great bikes. I would go with the S10 still though, sweet bike and cheapish to maintain.
According the motociclimo it weighs 273Kg. So I would say depending on the options it is probably no different.

Looking at those pictures makes me wonder where all the suspension travel is supposed to go on the Explorer.

There seems to be way more room under both ends of the Tenere. I wonder if the S10 was intended to have a bit more travel initially?

Either that or it's all an optical illusion.