User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #811
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Oh, and a related note:

Don't drive the bike halfway home across the European continent with a half-rusted chain, and DEFINITELY not all the way back again. You'll learn that the chain that rusted while parked at the marina in fact was beyond salvation, no matter how much chain lube you drench it with.

(I'm a damn lucky SOB that chain didn't snap on the German Autobahns..)

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #812
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
What application are you thinking of? If it's somewhere where appearance matters and strength doesn't, then I agree, particle board or melamine or even high quality plywood would be better than OSB. But if you care about strength or resistance to occasional moisture, particle board is a poor choice.
I'm making cabinets for the garage and laundry room. I'm not concerned about the particle board since we've had a PB cabinet in the laundry room for 10 years and its still fine.

I already took the rest of the OSB back and replaced it with particle board for the other set of cabinets and the lockers I will be building. 4 coats on the inside and bottoms of the OSB carcasses and they still look crappy. Luckily I'm doing pine face and pine shaker doors that will paint and look nice.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #813
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
I'm making cabinets for the garage and laundry room. I'm not concerned about the particle board since we've had a PB cabinet in the laundry room for 10 years and its still fine.

I already took the rest of the OSB back and replaced it with particle board for the other set of cabinets and the lockers I will be building. 4 coats on the inside and bottoms of the OSB carcasses and they still look crappy. Luckily I'm doing pine face and pine shaker doors that will paint and look nice.
I would agree that OSB would be a poor choice for cabinets.

But for walls in a garage, I would prefer it to particle board. I'd be afraid that if I put screws into particle board walls to hang stuff, the particle board would eventually crumble there and the screws come loose.

But then of course there's always 7-ply baltic birch plywood . . .
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #814
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
A brake bleeder like this is great, but you really want to make sure the internal rubber seal is seated properly on the bleeder nipple

Once the caliper has been cleaned and lubed, and the pads have been replaced, and the whole system reassembled and tested at very low speed, the pads will have to be bedded in. Until this happens, they might be considered anti-stop brakes

But that was Sunday. Today I learned that PB Blaster can help free up bolts, but it can also somewhat re-liquefy asphalt.

And I need to get some more waterless, towel-less hand cleaner.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #815
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
A brake bleeder like this is great, but you really want to make sure the internal rubber seal is seated properly on the bleeder nipple

And I need to get some more waterless, towel-less hand cleaner.
Yeah, and you definitely want to make sure that you don't hook the container on one of these up backwards, so that the suction handle happens to be connected to the hose going down to the bottom of the container:

You got any hand cleaner to spare? You can use that in your face too, right?

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #816
pmacb
Junior

Oddometer: 190
What color is that stuff again?

Before mindlessly topping up your car's windshield washer fluid from the only jug in the garage that wasn't filled with a blue liquid, pause to consider that your thrifty father-in-law may have filled an empty & unlabeled windshield washer fluid jug with kerosene to use on some project or another.

It takes a surprising long time to try to float all of that kerosene out of the windshield washer fluid reservoir with a garden hose. It makes a mess on the driveway, too.

pmacb
pmacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #817
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Kero-Clean

You invented a new old idea, and washed it out all over the driveway...
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #818
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,881
Always count the links in your old chain and cut the new one down to size BEFORE pressing the side plate onto the master link. This will save you from haywiring something up to pry said side plate back off the pins so you CAN take off those 2 extra links.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #819
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Always count the links in your old chain and cut the new one down to size BEFORE pressing the side plate onto the master link. This will save you from haywiring something up to pry said side plate back off the pins so you CAN take off those 2 extra links.
Worse yet is cutting the chain too short.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #820
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacb View Post
Before mindlessly topping up your car's windshield washer fluid from the only jug in the garage that wasn't filled with a blue liquid, pause to consider that your thrifty father-in-law may have filled an empty & unlabeled windshield washer fluid jug with kerosene to use on some project or another.
Better that than Ruglyde. I've almost done that a couple of times.

Quote:
It takes a surprising long time to try to float all of that kerosene out of the windshield washer fluid reservoir with a garden hose. It makes a mess on the driveway, too.
I might have added some Dawn.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #821
pmacb
Junior

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
I might have added some Dawn.
That's a great idea. The only problem was I was a little too to think clearly...

pmacb
pmacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #822
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacb View Post
That's a great idea. The only problem was I was a little too to think clearly...
I can't imagine.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #823
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I usually lay the old & new chains alongside each other on the bench, saves counting.

Of course this doesn't quite work if you have decided to run some different gearing for a change & the chain needs to be a different length

Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #824
Shoganai
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,761
Note to self...

When applying clear protective film on the fuel tank, remember you'll need to fill it at some point so cut out the part where the fuel goes in before attempting to add fuel at the gas station.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #825
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Note to self:

Putting the heat shrink tube on the wire before soldering the final splice saves from having to solder twice.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote