User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #31
TeamGS
Adventure-seeking family

Oddometer: 162
Like the DR 350

We owned both the DR 650 and DRZ 400, now own a DR 350 seems to be a great bike. 6-speed, nice ergonomics, durable, air cooled. Simple performance for dual sporting.
TeamGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #32
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Just about any thumper can be made tolerable for slab miles - assuming you don't want to run flat-out on the interstates all day.

For the last two summers, my wife and I have undertaken 2500-mile road trips; me on a DR650 and her on a DR-Z400SM.

Some of the common creature-comfort mods done to both bikes include +1 gearing on the CS sprocket, Seat Concepts replacement pads & seatcovers, wind deflectors (Spitfire on the DR, National Cycle Deflector on the DRZ) & heated grips.

If my wife can endure 2500 miles of riding on the DRZ and tenting over 10 days with all this in her back...

... I'm sure you'll do just fine - unless of course your kitty is coated in candy...

My recommendation for a TAT bike would be the DRZ for the weight savings and suspension, as gearing is a simple trailside fix to suit your conditions. However, if you're looking for an all-rounder, I'd lean toward the DR. Just my $0.02 having ridden both. Good luck with your bike search!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #33
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post

Seriously! W.T.F. do you base the highlighted comment on?
I'm riding around on a stinking little 250 that's only air cooled and run it down the highway all day long at 65 mph.

If I'd had been able to afford to buy another DR650 with the insurance money from my stolen 09DR650 I would have and it would have been my fourth. The DR will run down the highway all day long at 75 and not even breath hard.

To the O.P. If I had your height, I'd go with the DRZ400S because it would fit you better and have a better suspension out of the box. (compared to the DR)

Both DR and DRZ need aftermarket seats for candy asses and maybe, a small shield to deflect some wind for hwy stints.
Either will do hwy speeds with ease, all day long. (I mean, if my 250 can = W.T.F.!?)

As for the rider being able to tolerate those hwy speeds = if you aren't a pussy that's acclimated to fairings and cages, you shouldn't have any issues at all.
Just cos a 250 can do it doesnt mean jack shit, I mean my boy can sit at 55/60 all day on his 125!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
well you post comes across rather strong and opinionated, damn...try toning down your comments a bit, being tactful is a good thing most times.....
Some sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Having never ridden one you realy dont have a clue what you are talking about and should stop spreading misinformation. The XR650 R is a great bike but awful on the freeway. The DR650 does fine at 75.

And SCREW tactful, people shouldn't talk SHIT about bikes they no nothing about! lol
I know enough cheers ya fuckwit... tactful enough for you I mean I ride around our beautiful countryside with a few lads with XRs and fully know their capability... fuck me my mate did 900 miles in a day from JohnO Groats to Lands End on his XR650R... So you know more obviously... I bet you even polish the end of your knob
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote