ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #151
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
guess I'll find out because I just ordered one 5,5 from universalparts over the phone , They answered right away $47 shipped , late in the day and said I just missed the truck but it will go out tomorrow
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #152
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,228
Any ideas where I can get a plastic shroud for the RIGHT hand side to keep the heat from my 2nd fan off the tank?

edit: Sorry, previous page - I see you've modified a LHS shroud.

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.

Blakduk screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 10:56 PM
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #153
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Any ideas where I can get a plastic shroud for the RIGHT hand side to keep the heat from my 2nd fan off the tank?
I believe it is mentioned here that people use the left side OEM part and do a little trim work. I read also that some dont do anything. I will tell you that you probably need to do something to get the heat away from the tanks. I am ordering heat reflective material and doing the insides of my tanks. My fuel boils like crazy if im doing a lot of technical slow riding, and its only been in the 70's and 80's. I just read a thread about someone having fuel delivery issues from fuel boil
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #154
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,833
Right shroud - post 135 shows my solution

Right shroud - post 135 shows my solution

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #155
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
guess I'll find out because I just ordered one 5,5 from universalparts over the phone , They answered right away $47 shipped , late in the day and said I just missed the truck but it will go out tomorrow
I got the 5.5 Spal from universalparts, I unscrewed the motor from the generic housing and pressed off the fan blade , I switched it over to my 950 fan shroud and pressed the new blade on , it pressed back on nice and snug , tested it on the bench and it runs smooth and balanced . Soldered on the KTM plug nice and clean, back in bussiness

it was a $40 replacement instead of the KTM part at $140

my fan had been failing intermittently and during an 800 mile trip to Death Valley I discovered it totally seized
Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #156
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
my fan had been failing intermittently and during an 800 mile trip to Death Valley I discovered it totally seized
something similar happen to my wife's bike (4:pm, July 3rd !)
That' also why I want a 2nd fan
Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #157
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,228
I'm going to muck around with some heat shielding first, taking the tank off to stick it on this weekend. I really think the people who sold me the proper '2nd fan kit' should have addressed this aspect. After all, I think I paid well over $100 for the fan and bracket......

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #158
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
I'm going to muck around with some heat shielding first, taking the tank off to stick it on this weekend. I really think the people who sold me the proper '2nd fan kit' should have addressed this aspect. After all, I think I paid well over $100 for the fan and bracket......
Understood. The addition of some form of a hard shield has been on the "to do" list. Applying a adhesive insulation to the tank is one way that works well.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #159
rinho
Rinho Féroce

I've started my bracket

Just did a mistake and cut a part wich was supposed to stay to be the upper bracket ...
I'll do a 2nd bracket, attached to the fan screws in order to correct this.
I used 0.05 alu to do a first try (easier to bent) but I finally guess it's stiff enough, especially when the 2nd part will be done

Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #160
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinho View Post
I've started my bracket

Just did a mistake and cut a part wich was supposed to stay to be the upper bracket ...
I'll do a 2nd bracket, attached to the fan screws in order to correct this.
I used 0.05 alu to do a first try (easier to bent) but I finally guess it's stiff enough, especially when the 2nd part will be done
Very nice work. I wondered if it was the desire to fabricate your own or why you did not purchase one, I believe you can get just the bracket for $24.00 (dont quote me on the price), when I did mine I was going to buy a generic fan and go the same route as you but then found the complete fan/bracket combo and went that route. I certainly understand if you chose to make your own because clearly you have the skills to do it and it looks really solid. More wondered if you did something that you feel will help draw more air or re-direct the air flow ? After all the wheel has been reinvented many times over and it is still getting better.
Always hated that when people would ask :why reinvent the wheel ? , " because it aint perfect like you " .
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #161
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Well, yes, I like to do things myself (thanks for the compliment) and yes I feel concerned about how the air is drawn...
But if the bracket (wich was out of stock when I started) was available, alone, for 50$ or less, I would not have spent any time working on this one... for sure.
I have understood on thing... Whatever I do, there's one thing I'll never have enough, it's time!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #162
Faunus2011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Just ordered my ADVmachines dual cooling fan... Have a 2500 mile trip planned next month, so its gonna get a trial by fire, especially being that all 2500 miles will be in the deep south!
Faunus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #163
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
It will be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faunus2011 View Post
Just ordered my ADVmachines dual cooling fan... Have a 2500 mile trip planned next month, so its gonna get a trial by fire, especially being that all 2500 miles will be in the deep south!
Put this fan on my 990ADV last year right before a 5 day trip into the Mojave Desert and it worked great. Sand, slow speed and 120 degreesF and no overheating problems!
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #164
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
fan connector question

Looking at the manual, ktm parts for the fan connector seem to be:
000700000BI SPARE CONNECTOR BI 2-PINS (fan)
000700000AU SPARE CONNECTOR AU 2-PINS (wiring harness)

Does anyone know the generic type (manufacturer/part#). Is it D2CP/D2CS from here? http://www.corsa-technic.com/categor...category_id=57
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote