Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #991
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_jedi View Post
Interested in 500EXC owners thoughts:... not that anyone has had to break into their clutch, but.

Through hours of internet and ADV research on the 500exc I'm obsessed- and need to buy one, though one detail I can't figure out - the new clutch incorporates "transmission friendly back-damping". I assume this is some type of cush mechanism, but what is it? I can't find any pictures or details anywhere. The KTM literature is vague, and I assume no one has had to put a new clutch assembly in their 500 yet to see what's actually going on...

There's definitely plenty of talk that the 500exc may not make the best adventure bike due to lack of cush drive rear hub, and some other small issues like fuel and oil capacity. Just wondering if KTM actually addressed the cush issue from the factory. Definitely something good to figure out before investing money in some Excels.

thoughts? would a cush drive still be necessary?

on a similar note: I also found that many street bikes incorporate rubberized front sprockets. Trying to figure out now if it's actually something that separates the middle from outer splines/teeth, or just rubberized to lessen chain noise. thoughts on that too would be great.

Best place to look at stuff like this is CheapCycleParts or RockyMountainAtvmc; check their OEM stuff
NOTE: Number 8 is the Damping Rubber that attaches to the Clutch Hub.....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:41 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #992
Honda_jedi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Good call SteveO.

that rubber piece looks fairly insignificant when compared to the amount of rubber, and damping, created from a rear hub cush drive setup. i'm sure this clutch rubber helps a bunch, they wouldn't put it in there if it didn't. though i'm feeling like if 30% of the bike's time (or more) is spent on pavement it would probably be wise to invest in a cush hub. more research...
Honda_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #993
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
The XC4 engine also has a cushioned clutch hub but that isn't enough to stop it from wearing out the output shaft in 10-15 k miles if dual sported.

If you want to keep the bike a while or ride a lot, a cush wheel is a good investment IMO, and they have great resale.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #994
SteveO
Huh???

How expensive is a cush hub for our bikes? And are different manufacturers for this device?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #995
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Rad Cush hub

Rad makes em for us, they are around $550.00....

http://www.radmfg.com/RAD-CUSH-Series-hubs-s/39.htm
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #996
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
mild & wild plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
So I found this great thread over on ktmt from E-ticket who is also on this thread. Regarding his 350 EXC. And another member pointed out this little tidbit. Just curious if the 500 is so different, that it doesn't hold true for us.

edit:
And yet another

this was also from a 350 exc owner
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/931...0500-xc-w-ecu/ heres 2pages on the plug ins i ordered my yesterday
from sicass theres a guy plugged ihis in with out unlocking i let you guys know if it works for me

happy landings

evel knievel
EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #997
tenerejay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
new 500 exc

I read the entire thread last night - wow - today I am the new proud owner of a brand spankin new ktm 500exc - I sold my Tenere to spend more time with my son in the trails - all the riding I do im glad to do with him tagging along (sometimes waiting with mom while dad attcks the 5 diamond trails). I had them put barkbusters and new springs to help with my size (265) and pick her up on tuesday. I think im gonna name her Orangejello (oranh-jha low). Anyway Ill let you guys know how it goes - when it goes
tenerejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #998
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 416
RAD CUSH *REAR* Hub for 125-up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
How expensive is a cush hub for our bikes? And are different manufacturers for this device?
here's one from RAD... $549.95 + installation/building - http://www.radmfg.com/Cush-Series-RE...radh-eq-1r.htm

Available from Woody's http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm

Available in Orange Kool-Aide, too -

- M
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #999
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Ok, my hands back up in the air, what is a crush hub? How is it I have lived my life without one yet still ride, eat and breath?
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #1000
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post
Ok, my hands back up in the air, what is a crush hub? How is it I have lived my life without one yet still ride, eat and breath?
You haven't lived your life without one - look at your ZX14 rear hub !
The rubber dampers absorb the shock of the drivetrain instead of transfering it to your clutch/transmission.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #1001
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
KTM, RAD Mfg, Haan Wheels and Talon all make cush drive hubs for KTMs. I'd skip the Talon because of the weaker cushion rubbers, the other three all use the same rubbers (at least they look the same to me) so it's a question of bling vs. cost... Figure $400-$500 for hub, sprocket carrier, and rubbers.

You can also try to find a used wheel from a 640 LC4 Adventure or Enduro (not 690), they had cush drive hubs stock and will fit any EXC. However they used silver DID rims (pretty good) and later ones black Behr rims (weak), so not optimal if you like to match your 500 EXC rim color.

I do think the 660 Rally came with a cush hub and a black Excel rim, I have one of those here and that's what I was told it was from. Unfortunately not too many of those around...

Old 04-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #1002
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post

Cush hub, not crush hub. Next time you need a new back tire on that zx14, pull off your sprocket. I bet ya a beer, you will see a cush hub. I could be wrong but my Tiger had one, and I think most street bikes have them... allows a little give from the torque on the output shaft. Too much wheel spin in the dirt to bother I would assume. So more street time with a dirt bike would increase the stress on the output shaft and make a cush hub a good idea. Long term.

edit: i type too slow
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #1003
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Cush hub, not crush hub. Next time you need a new back tire on that zx14, pull off your sprocket. I bet ya a beer, you will see a cush hub. I could be wrong but my Tiger had one, and I think most street bikes have them... allows a little give from the torque on the output shaft. Too much wheel spin in the dirt to bother I would assume. So more street time with a dirt bike would increase the stress on the output shaft and make a cush hub a good idea. Long term.
Yup, that's it.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #1004
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
You can also try to find a used wheel from a 640 LC4 Adventure or Enduro (not 690), they had cush drive hubs stock and will fit any EXC. However they used silver DID rims (pretty good) and later ones black Behr rims (weak), so not optimal if you like to match your 500 EXC rim color.

I do think the 660 Rally came with a cush hub and a black Excel rim, I have one of those here and that's what I was told it was from. Unfortunately not too many of those around...

ok, this is about my speed. I think if I go this route, I may try to find a wrecked one, or maybe find one on fleabay.....

right now, I'm in dire need of a larger tank, so that has to come first....

Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #1005
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,221
I had Woody build me a nice one for my 530.