Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #91
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
The MRA Vario simply rules in comparison. Zero buffeting, huge envelope, and the sound is like going without a windscreen, which is fine by me!
Where/when did your order your MRA Vario? I tried to get one from Twisted Throttle, but it's on backorder until May 31.

I couldn't wait that long as we are going on a road trip in mid-May, so I went ahead and ordered the Madstad.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #92
hawkbox
800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer: 12
Does the madstad perform for you as they claim? The format of their site makes me think it's scammy.
hawkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #93
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Some pics of the Vario installed. Apologies for the quality (iPhone 4, and a big thumb...)
The new shield really does work great! I have it set pretty high for my commute, and will likely lower it a bit for tooling around the backroads near my house, and slower trips on secondary roads.

frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #94
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
Some pics of the Vario installed. Apologies for the quality (iPhone 4, and a big thumb...)
The new shield really does work great! I have it set pretty high for my commute, and will likely lower it a bit for tooling around the backroads near my house, and slower trips on secondary roads.

It does not compliment the front of the bike well at all.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #95
frytown
Adventurer

That's certainly one opinion. I don't mind it at all. It looks fine in person and works so well that the somewhat misfitted look just sort of disappears. I do wish they made specific screens for specific models, but that's apparently not part of their deal.

Quote:
Where/when did your order your MRA Vario? I tried to get one from Twisted Throttle, but it's on backorder until May 31.

I couldn't wait that long as we are going on a road trip in mid-May, so I went ahead and ordered the Madstad.
Yeah, I waited about a month. Ordered mine in march and got it last week. Happens every time with Twisted Throttle from my experience. They seem to be risk averse to actually buying stock, and instead look like they're placing that burden on the manufacturer. In the future I think I'll avoid them.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #96
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 664
MadStad work really well. Several of us have them on different bikes.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #97
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
It does not compliment the front of the bike well at all.
Glad it's not just me....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #98
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
i like it better than any of the barn doors. Its a 'super' fly screen
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #99
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,447
Thanks Fry. I also have to agree that in the photos does look ill fitting, but if it works...........

I have to wonder about fitting a laminar lip or the MRA vario to the factory screen. That seems like it might be the best of both worlds.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #100
frytown
Adventurer

Kawidad,

I'd originally thought the same thing - but when I ordered the screen from TT, the small, spoiler unit alone was only 10 bucks less so I figured I'd go all in and if I didn't like the Vario screen I'd swap back to the stock and attach the little guy.
But in person, the Vario doesn't bug me so I'm keeping it as is for now.

I think the deal is, I agree that in photos it looks awkward, but in photos one's sitting there staring at the bike, and in reality I just don't do that. I pull the bike outta the garage, give it a quick once over, and head out and enjoy the ride.
Sitting around staring at the bike when I could be riding seems a missed opportunity....!

I do love that bike!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #101
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Thanks Fry. I also have to agree that in the photos does look ill fitting, but if it works...........

I have to wonder about fitting a laminar lip or the MRA vario to the factory screen. That seems like it might be the best of both worlds.
I have a spoiler on the stock screen and it works OK, still get a bit of noise but the airflow isn't bad, I can keep my shield up with just the sun screen down upto 50mph+. Helmet is a Shark Evoline II and I'm 5"11" w/30" inseam.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #102
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
I have a spoiler on the stock screen and it works OK, still get a bit of noise but the airflow isn't bad, I can keep my shield up with just the sun screen down upto 50mph+. Helmet is a Shark Evoline II and I'm 5"11" w/30" inseam.

Apologize if it was mentioned elsewhere I didn't catch it but what spoiler do you have? Thanks
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #103
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 235
I used the Twisted Throttle MRA VTA4 and it fit quite well. You may want to measure and see if one of the other part numbers would fit better, I used this one as I had it from an earlier project.

Jerry
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #104
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,978
tall screen for sale

I'll probably post it later in FM but for anyone looking for the tiger 800 tall adjustable windscreen I've got one with maybe 500 miles on it. Excellent condition. Was thinking $120 shipped. pm me if interested.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #105
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbox View Post
Does the madstad perform for you as they claim? The format of their site makes me think it's scammy.
Cheap website simply because they probably aren't making a lot on them and don't want to eat all their profits on a flashy site. I'm usually more leery of a glitzy site personally.

I have a few hundred miles on my Madstad at this point and it's a tossup for me if it or the Corbin seat was the best money I've ever spent on a bike part/accessory. It isn't "pretty" but it is effective, so I really don't care.

I bought the tallest option that they make (22"). I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I installed the adjustment brackets in the low position and have the screen sitting pretty low as well. I definitely could have gotten away with the 20" screen but I wanted to be sure. The shield moves a bit when you get a x-wind gust or are stuck in another vehicle's wake or hit a big bump, but not as badly as the stock screen. The wind protection is fantastic. Makes a nice calm bubble of air. All helmet buffeting is gone. I can also unzip the jacket a good bit and not have it flap all over and beat me up. Huge fatigue saver in that regard.

My only complaint is that it does such a good job of killing the wind noise that the howl from the Karoos at speed is that much worse. I'm headed up to the Smokies next month and the Battle Wings are going back on since the trip will be entirely road.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote