Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #1531
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbum View Post
I paid the $119 + S&H&T to Sena for the SMH10 (B) with the intent of simultaneously having my iPhone 4S and Garmin Zumo 665 each connected to the Sena SMH10 running V4 firmware. FYI: The $49 offer was not available even though I asked I have been using the original SMH10 (as a pair) for nearly 1 year already. Couldn't get it to work at the start but i ultimately got it to work. In retrospect, my male-aversion to reading the manual carefully was my initial undoing.

The reason that I'm posting this is that I have my intended configuration working successfully. The steps which worked for me were:
  1. Download V4 firmware [FYI: I did this on April 4th with no issues in downloading or functioning of running the firmware in my SMH10(B). I have been using it for a couple of weeks now.]
  2. Delete the Bluetooth pairings for the SMH10 from my iPhone. For the Zumo, I deleted all pairing to any Bluetooth devices because the iPhone was paired at one time.
  3. Followed section 6.3.1 for the iPhone pairing (see below for a copy of manual sections)
  4. Verified music from the iPhone played well.
  5. Followed section 6.3.3 for the Zumo pairing.
  6. Verified that the music still played well.
  7. Started a trial navigation route with the Zumo. It stopped the music to the in-helmet speaker and gave me the initial directions. After a brief pause, the music started back up.
  8. Turned everything off and turned everything back on.
  9. Retested with music and navigated route. Everything worked again.
  10. Hallelujah.
BTW: I have the Sena mounted on my Shoei RF1100 for a year & no problems.

----------------------------
6.1 Mobile Phone Pairing
1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone pairing”.
2. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile
phone.
3. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some mobile phone may not ask for the PIN. DIDN'T NEED TO DO THIS STEP
4. The mobile phone confirms that pairing has completed and the SMH10 is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SMH10 saying “Your headset is paired”.
5. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.
6.3 Bluetooth GPS Navigation Pairing ...
1. Turn on the headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Multipoint Pairing” .
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on the GPS navigation screen. Select the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the GPS.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. DIDN'T NEED TO DO THIS STEP
5. The GPS confirms that pairing has completed and the SMH10 is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SMH10 saying “Your headset is paired”.
6. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.
I have had this configuration work as well. The issue is, you are only getting stereo music from your iphone, and only GPS prompts from the Zumo, you can play xm or mp3's from the zumo, but they are only in mono, not stereo.

After further research, the Zumo 665 bluetooth I think is the problem. And I seriously doubt that Garmin is going to look into the issue and offer a firmware update to fix it. That is where you have to give Sena props. I have $1,000+ in accessories connected to my Sena in one way or another, and Sena(@ $150 + $50 upgrade) is the only one continuing research to try to make everything work. You would think, spending $700+ on a GPS would warrant some support but Garmin has different ideas. As of right now, I think Autocom at $1,000+ has the edge to get everything to work as it should. Hopefully someday bluetooth will get there. At this point, I am done throwing money at it and will continue to use a wire to get my radar detector into my helmet until there is a viable proven solution out there. The empty promises from all manufacturers saying it "should" work is getting old. Time to be the sheep instead of the guinea pig.
SaharaJp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #1532
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Good news.

Got a pic?
+1 x 1,000,000
SaharaJp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #1533
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepsd View Post
I just received my SMH-A0303 earbud helmet clamp kit and the earplug mount is different than those that I have seen before. The 3.5mm jack on mine is flexible with a built-in strain relief. It flexes from straight up to horizontal and sits naturally at a 45 degree angle.
Pic's please..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #1534
wingwing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I picked up two Nolan N43e helmets yesterday..

Question:
Has anyone installed the SMH10 in the N43e?
.. if yes..
1) which clamp kit did you use?
and
2) The mic boom does not look like it's going to fit.. is there a better option?

thanks,
Dennis
wingwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #1535
stoder
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingwing View Post
I picked up two Nolan N43e helmets yesterday..

Question:
Has anyone installed the SMH10 in the N43e?
.. if yes..
1) which clamp kit did you use?
and
2) The mic boom does not look like it's going to fit.. is there a better option?

thanks,
Dennis
I have a Nolan n43 Trilogy. I was not able to use the screw-on adaptor with the clamp. I am using the double faced tape and it is holding fine. I am also using the extra mic. Was told that the built in one would not work so I bought the clamp for ear buds and external mic.....
stoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #1536
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJp99 View Post
The issue is, you are only getting stereo music from your iphone, and only GPS prompts from the Zumo, you can play xm or mp3's from the zumo, but they are only in mono, not stereo.
You are correct. Check.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #1537
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Pic's please..
Here are some pics of the Sena SMH-A0303 earbud helmet clamp kit that I just got that has a flexible connector, which I believe is different from the earlier ones? .

There was nothing on the packaging or on the unit itself that shows any type of Rev or Version #. The model # on the end-flap of the box shows "SMH-A0303-1204000126"

stevepsd screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 09:53 PM
stevepsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #1538
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,806
Thanks stevepsd...

Good news for you and new customers...

for those of us who bought one recently.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #1539
NestorK
Artiface Artisan

Oddometer: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Thanks stevepsd...

Good news for you and new customers...

for those of us who bought one recently.
Explains why they were back-ordered the last few weeks.

Mine broke but I successfully soldered a new jack and a few inches of cable from a spare jack I had. I'll never have that problem again.

Cost: $0. If you have to buy a phone extension cable then figure about 4.00.
'Cos I got the burning fire in the bed of my soul
NestorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #1540
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 922
Eh?

Quote:
Here are some pics of the Sena SMH-A0303 earbud helmet clamp kit that I just got that has a flexible connector, which I believe is different from the earlier ones? .

There was nothing on the packaging or on the unit itself that shows any type of Rev or Version #. The model # on the end-flap of the box shows "SMH-A0303-1204000126"
1204000126 - is the date code, decipher as follows:

12 = Year, 2012
04 = Month, April
000126 = 126th unit produced in April 2012

This kind of an update is called a 'running change', and gets slipped into production once existing parts are exhausted. This is common practice in nearly every industry - companies are not keen to discard parts unnecessarily.

We've asked Sena directly and there's no way to know - other than if you get #1204000127 or above that it'll be the newer style earbud socket. Dealers will have a mix of inventory for a time, until the previous versions are filtered thru their distributors' inventory.

Dats da' facts, Jack.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #1541
hadye
The Pharaoh

Oddometer: 85
Quote:

I just bought mine but seems that they were an old lot since I have the old version
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #1542
Oregonwinger66
Oregonwinger

Oddometer: 31
I find it interesting how this thread will go like gangbusters, then all of a sudden die for days at a time. Everyone must be out ridin'. Nothing to report from me, but I'm disappointed the SM10 won't do the onboard CB. (Wing) Only dual A2DP to headsets.
Oregonwinger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #1543
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer: 82
SMH10 Review

I just completed a 4200 mile trip and used the SMH10 paired to my iphone (phone only) and a bluetooth transmitter connected to my ipod. During the trip I rode through wind, rain, 38 degrees to 100 degrees and the system worked very well. I am still trying to get the speakers adjusted in the right spot for maximum volume. I have the unit attached to my Shoei Neotec. I used the unit 10-12 hours a day and did not run out of battery. My typical use was listening to music and making a few phones calls at gas stops. Depending on the music volume on the ipod, most of the time background music was okay. When there was a significant amount of wind, sound was softer. I ride an 1150RT so the wind protection is pretty good. I really enjoyed no more wires. You do have to remember to charge the unit during the night unless you use the onboard charger. I really liked the way it works and look forward to more long distance rides.

JL
ipaqpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #1544
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,806
I did have a problem this weekend. After a stop where I turned everything off I could not get the Crackberry MP3 to play through the SMH.
FYI: No all problems are the Sena device, I had to do the "pull the battery reboot" on the crackberry and the problem was solved.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #1545
wingwing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
+1
... we just did 3,000 miles with two bikes and had similar experience and we were talking bike to bike a lot of the time.

GREAT battery life.. went over 12 hours in a day several times during the trip and they were still going strong..
.. just recharged every night and they were good to go again.

only tiny problem,, every once in awhile the remote function would stop working.. usually just from one side...
i.e. she could turn my SMH10 on and off but I could not do the same.
A simple on/off for both fixed it... happened about 5-6 times over 3 days.

Really neat... I could listen to my GPS and Music and she was listening to hers.

I like this one..it's a keeper

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaqpoweruser View Post
I just completed a 4200 mile trip and used the SMH10 paired to my iphone (phone only) and a bluetooth transmitter connected to my ipod. During the trip I rode through wind, rain, 38 degrees to 100 degrees and the system worked very well. I am still trying to get the speakers adjusted in the right spot for maximum volume. I have the unit attached to my Shoei Neotec. I used the unit 10-12 hours a day and did not run out of battery. My typical use was listening to music and making a few phones calls at gas stops. Depending on the music volume on the ipod, most of the time background music was okay. When there was a significant amount of wind, sound was softer. I ride an 1150RT so the wind protection is pretty good. I really enjoyed no more wires. You do have to remember to charge the unit during the night unless you use the onboard charger. I really liked the way it works and look forward to more long distance rides.

JL
wingwing is offline   Reply With Quote