Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Congrats! I have two 2007's. They are great bikes. Join us over at http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/cmps_index.php.
2003 Yamaha YZ250
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #17
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,881
Well, now that it is all official, I guess I should whore mine out.

2006 FZ6. Givi V35 sidecases and E470 topcase, motovation sliders, Zumo 450 GPS, typically running BT023 for tires.

I never have been able to figure out how to pack light.

Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
TonyKZ1 - Thanks for the compliment. I agree the center stand is great. Parking in the garage will take less room with two other bikes and my wife can still get to her gardening stuff , and chain maintenance for sure will be easier! Still racking up the miles on your 250 Ninja I see, based on your comments on the 250 Ninja thread. It seems I saw a post that you were considering a different bike? The FZ6 I found was a lucky find, but required being quick otherwise it would have gotten away. I had considered other similar bikes including SV650, CBR - F series bikes and a few others. I really like the FZ6 so far!

THB - I've been over on the FZ forum, but for some reason it really runs slow on my computer (compared to ADVrider anyway). It certainly looks like it would be a great resource though. Thanks!

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 456
Eliminate buffeting

In an effort to decrease buffeting, I cut 5" off my stock windscreen. The difference is dramatic. There is a thread with details HERE.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #20
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I have an '04 and actually had it for sale here but I keep flip flopping because it is a great bike, just needs a better seat lower pegs and some sidebags.
I likely will end up keeping it but if I do I may have to sell a kidney to replace said parts.
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
I have an '04 and actually had it for sale here but I keep flip flopping because it is a great bike, just needs a better seat lower pegs and some sidebags.
I likely will end up keeping it but if I do I may have to sell a kidney to replace said parts.
I have a Corbin seat, Knight Designs lower pegs and bar risers. These mods really transform the FZ6 for long distance riding.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
Mexi-can't
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
The FZ6's are great bikes, I've owned a couple. I had a Corbin seat on my 04 and it didn't seem much better (aside from looks) than the factory seat. I did have a Puig double bubble windscreen on both bikes and it was an improvement over stock for me, I'm 5' 10". I ditched the fairings on the 04, rode it for a while, sold it, then ended up getting the 06 about a year later. The biggest and cheapest improvement made was going down to a 15t front sprocket.

Mexi-can't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #23
Roark
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Newbie reporting in! I got my bike license recently and I've decided to get an FZ6 as my first bike, as I rode one as my school bike and it seems a good fit and a fine compromise in my situation with its easy handling, decent power, reliability and suitability for a bit of light touring as well as daily commutes. It's also cheaper to buy than a Z750 or a later, fuel-injected CB600F Hornet and there are many 10.000-25.000 km examples to choose from on the market.

My price range (~5000 euros - bikes are expensive here) encompasses bikes both before and after the -07 "facelift" (S2 models post-07). Are the differences (brakes, swingarm, styling etc.) notable enough to warrant a 10-20% price gap between similar-mileage 06 and 07 bikes?
The 40.000 km service is an expensive one (500+ euros), but before that it should be pretty easy on the wallet? Are there any general or year-specific things that go wrong that I should be on the lookout for? Dealerships have a law-mandated 6 month warranty on used bikes here, but if I save a grand or a half buying from a private seller, how likely is it to come back and bite me in the ass?
Anything else I should know?
Roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
I have a Corbin seat, Knight Designs lower pegs and bar risers. These mods really transform the FZ6 for long distance riding.
I have the ROX risers with the FZ1 bars on mine and put heated grips on her as well.
So close to being a great bike- I am going to mod the seat, I have to get it a little higher and more comfortable for that long commute!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #25
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
I have noticed the RPM surges a bit at idle. Bike performs beautifully otherwise and I thought at first it was just cold idle richening, but noticed it does it when the engine is warm too. Throttle bodies out of sync maybe?
The injectors are computer controlled so they adjust themselves automatically up and down. because of this, at idle the bike is trying to keep the lowest RPM to keep the bike running. when it gets too low it adjusts up and vice versa. you can make a cheap manometer to balance out the TBs but it wont make much difference.

And join us at The Forum. www.fz6-forum.com

it does run slowly sometimes, but you'll get much better info there. im the *SweaterDude* there BTW.

and congratz on getting a faster blue one

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #26
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Anything else I should know?

good choice for a first bike. thats what i did. first, try to get an 07+. second, get one as close to stock as possible. Ad the general consensus is as follows: Blue is faster but Red is sexyer. and last, join the Forum!!!!! www.fz6-forum.com

Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #27
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

SnappNBrapp....thanks for the info on the "hunting" idle. I have a set of guages so someday I'll see if the throttle bodies are out of sync. It probably only matters mostly at idle, since the percentage they might be off becomes very slight at highway speeds. At least that's they way I've always viewed carb sync'ing.

We recently got faster internet and my computer has been de-loused of viruses and is running faster now, so I'll take another look at the FZ6 forum.

Lynn
Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #28
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

A TB balance will supposedly smooth out the 5-6k RPM buzz too.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #29
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappNBrrap View Post
A TB balance will supposedly smooth out the 5-6k RPM buzz too.
Well, now we're talking. I may have to do the sync sooner than later. I do find that buzz in the pegs a bit annoying, but liking the bike in so many other ways I was willing to deal with it. Maybe I don't have to. Thanks!

Lynn
Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #30
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
Are they 2" risers? If yes, how tight are the cables?
yep, 2" risers off my Buell Ulysses and enough room in the cables.