User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #151
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,065
Our '09 Patriot now has 41,000 miles, CVT tranny and 4WD. Still as good as new, no rattles etc. Our driveway is 3 miles long, unmaintained, un plowed dirt road that friends call the Bagdad road. Driven many times in 6-8" deep unplowed snow. Many times in deep mud. Seems to always get 26-27 MPG, runs perfect. An excellent choice so far for our requirements.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #152
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
07 Patriot Sport - 2wd - CVT auto here. Just turned over 82,000 miles and doing fine. Last year drove it cross-country (Tucson to Mid-NY-State and back) and got 30mpg averaging 75mph... performed flawlessly through howling winds, massive rainstorms, snowstorms, etc.

City gas mileage has dropped a bit lately to around 24mpg. It's in need of it's first CVT service, which apparently should have been done at 60k but I got bad information from the local stealership and said I could go as high as 90k. They now tell me it should have been done at 60k. Also noticed a slight hesitation on acceleration about 1700rpm but I think that can be taken care of with a throttle body clean (also part of the 80k service).

Other than that... performing great.

azcycle screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 10:06 AM
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #153
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,052
I test drove a 4x2 stick today and have to say I was expecting far less. Power is certainly decent. The shifter is way better than I expected. Brake feel could be better but it stops like you want it to. Ride was pretty compliant and it's far quieter than our Forester. It's got 84,000 miles but wears them very well. The interior plastic is cheap and it has zero features being the base model. It feels far more substantial and larger than the Forester but I think they are pretty close in size. I'll have to take the missus over to drive it next week and see what she thinks. This example is a 1 owner new car trade with a very clean history. I also just found a 4x4 stick about 2 hrs away I may look at. The thing is definitely a contender...can't believe after a life of imports I'm actually considering a domestic product.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #154
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
From what I remember when looking at Patriots, they were dirt cheap to buy new - which was one of the reasons that I considered one. Luckily Toyota was going through a bad spell and decided to fire sale their 2010's out for similar costs - so I went for one of those. I would think that a mid-mileage Patriot should go for maybe 6 - 9 grand? Or am I wrong?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #155
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

They were cheap...I think the prices rose substantially. You won't find any under $8000 (and that's with over 100,000 on it). 80,000 miles = $9000 4x2, $10,500 4x4.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #156
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,932
So....

I may have decided on what vehicle I may be getting. A Mazda CX-5. I test drove one, and I was very impressed. Handled well, very roomy, tons of standard features, reasonably priced ($20k) and great mileage. 32/Auto, 35/Manual. The only concern I have is that it's a completely new, untested, unproven vehicle, and the first fully Mazda built vehicle, since separating from Ford. Could be a good thing (Ford investment bringing Mazda's manufacturing/design a boost) or a bad thing (Mazda's first vehicle, no real experience to build on maybe?).

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #157
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't update this.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #158
GulfCoast
formerly SWLAStrom

Oddometer: 762
So, how you likin the "new" Patriot?
GulfCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #159
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

It's only been a few thousand miles, but so far so good. The one gripe I have (and it may be correctable; have to re-read the manual) is the auto door locks which lock when you hit a certain speed do not automatically unlock all the doors when you open the driver's door, which they do on my company Sebring. This probably wouldn't annoy me so much if I wasn't spoiled by the Sebring which I drive A LOT.

We checked gas mileage once so far, with a lot of short trip jaunts, and it was around 25 mpg. I'm eager to run it on a highway trip to see what it does.

The rear sill height is substantially higher than the Forester so I have to lift 2 of our 3 dogs up into the thing, which I didn't have to do with the Subaru.

It is so much torquier (is that a word?) than the Suby. I can lug this thing at much lower RPMs and it will just accelerate, where the Forester 2.5 would be very unhappy. The much lower highway RPMs are also nice. I find I don't drive this as fast, either. The comfortable cruising speed is 5-10 mph less on the highway (depending on mood). This has nothing to do with feeling safe or anything; it's just the speed I find myself motoring along at. Odd. Maybe it's the taller seating position...don't know. Should be good for my license at any rate.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #160
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Do they unlock when you turn off the motor? Mine did.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #161
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
It's only been a few thousand miles, but so far so good.
How's the ride? I have a Liberty (4wd) and it's very "hoppy" on the road. Runs fine but has no smooth what-so-ever in the ride department.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #162
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
I never found (never looked, either) for a way to get the doors to unlock when the driver's door is opened. Highway ride in mine is really comfortable. We did a cross-country trip last year and loved it, though my butt WAS getting sore around hour 10-of each day. My biggest complaint? No cruise control standard... was annoying as hell on that road trip. The cruise is only $300 or so and can be installed by the owner (though the computer needs to be flashed at the dealer to recognize it).
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #163
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
Highway ride in mine is really comfortable.
Thanks.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #164
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
How's the ride? I have a Liberty (4wd) and it's very "hoppy" on the road. Runs fine but has no smooth what-so-ever in the ride department.
It's not hobby-horse hoppy by any means. While not passenger car compliant, I think it rides better than our Subaru did with the stock suspension (I later lowered it with WRX parts, and that was fairly harsh). Remember, 4 wheel independent suspension; I think the Liberty still uses a solid axle in the rear.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #165
GulfCoast
formerly SWLAStrom

Oddometer: 762
So, did you get 5speed or CVT, 2wd or 4wd, 2.0 or 2.4?

I looked hard at the Patriot, bought and enjoyed a CR-V, got rid of if for a truck, considering a Patriot again for long summer trips.

Looking at the Mazda CX-5 too...
GulfCoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: