Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
I think so, I haven't been to one in a while. I think they's usually in the summer. If I find one then I could get ya one, I'll let ya know!

And, man, what, waiting despertly for my projector! It's 1300 lumens should be adequet, since I'm fixin to make a more theater like experance by darkening the room almost completely.

I don't have strict requirements for quality, as long as it looks reasonably well I'm happy.
1080i and 1300 lumens should work well enough to knock your socks off. The previous generation of projectors I've had with those specs were pretty nice. I'd find myself forgetting what I was watching because I was engrossed in the picture itself. If the projector does not have decent up scaling (NTSC to HD) be sure to play DVD's through a player that does a quality job. Also set the contrast and brightness levels to levels that don't blow out the whites or raise the dark levels too much. It'll probably have a setup menu and/or different modes like Cinema, Sports, dynamic and others. Best to start with those and see what suits your tastes. Good luck with it. I hope it works as well as some of the ones I've had.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
DAMN! This baby works SWEET!

RonS, for the price I paid, not only did it knock my socks off, but my boots too! Thanks for the tips!

So I picked it up yestarday at the Fedex station. And WOW. This thing come packaged like its brand new! All them wires and cables is in plastic and has twisties on it. The projector is packaged very well, in foam and such and in plastic. It come with a DVD with the intruction manual too. Packaged very well and plenty of cables.

I can't believe it. $99 buy it now and $20 shipping on ebay. It felt like opening a brand new one. Well it is essintially brand new, just refirbished, but factory refirbished. It is in perfect shape, not a SINGLE scratch or nick on it. Has a 1 year factory warranty from mitsubishi, and I even has 7 days to return it if I don't like it. BUT, that sure won't be happening!

So, I briefly read the instruction manual [which is a good ideal these things be delicate]. Lerned about how they has Mecury compressed in the light bulb and it can blow up, this is why they has you replace it at 2-3K hours. That could be dangerious, as far as I know that shit can hurt your eyes and blow up the projector. But thats a decent life spand.

But overall, I's extremely impressed with it. I hooked up the Playstation on the component, and wow! I like the Widescreen, it also does 4:3 well. But playing that Grand Turismo 5, y'all may know that game has demanding graphics, it looks about as good as my TV!

It has a very slight Screen Door, but I could care less. Only if you look very closly. I herd if you put it a tiny bit out of focus it'll get rid of most of it. But I don't give a damn. Its not noticable unless you really look close.

No rainbow effect as far as I know. Looks great, I'm gonna enjoy this one!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
DAMN! This baby works SWEET!

RonS, for the price I paid, not only did it knock my socks off, but my boots too! Thanks for the tips!

So I picked it up yestarday at the Fedex station. And WOW. This thing come packaged like its brand new! All them wires and cables is in plastic and has twisties on it. The projector is packaged very well, in foam and such and in plastic. It come with a DVD with the intruction manual too. Packaged very well and plenty of cables.

I can't believe it. $99 buy it now and $20 shipping on ebay. It felt like opening a brand new one. Well it is essintially brand new, just refirbished, but factory refirbished. It is in perfect shape, not a SINGLE scratch or nick on it. Has a 1 year factory warranty from mitsubishi, and I even has 7 days to return it if I don't like it. BUT, that sure won't be happening!

So, I briefly read the instruction manual [which is a good ideal these things be delicate]. Lerned about how they has Mecury compressed in the light bulb and it can blow up, this is why they has you replace it at 2-3K hours. That could be dangerious, as far as I know that shit can hurt your eyes and blow up the projector. But thats a decent life spand.

But overall, I's extremely impressed with it. I hooked up the Playstation on the component, and wow! I like the Widescreen, it also does 4:3 well. But playing that Grand Turismo 5, y'all may know that game has demanding graphics, it looks about as good as my TV!

It has a very slight Screen Door, but I could care less. Only if you look very closly. I herd if you put it a tiny bit out of focus it'll get rid of most of it. But I don't give a damn. Its not noticable unless you really look close.

No rainbow effect as far as I know. Looks great, I'm gonna enjoy this one!
Congrats man! As far as the mercury, when I was a kid my best friends father was a dentist. We would play with the dental mercury and break thermometers to get the mercury. We'd roll it back and forth in our hands before pouring back in the bottle or tossing it in the dirt. I'm sure it will kill me and/or the planet someday but hopefully not before the alcohol, tobacco, firearms, sedentary life style, poor diet and dangerous motorsports do. What I'm saying is, fuck it, kick back pour yourself a tall one and enjoy.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
So, what model is it?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

As to the model, its actually a Mitsubishi HC100U.

RonS, yea I never know about it, I guess its not that harmful, your right baccer'll probably kill me before that does! But just wasn't sure didn't want it to blow up in my face and get in my eyes as like many I'd much rather die than lose my sight.

But yea! I'm definitly enjoy this one! I think it's one of the best deal I's ever got! And I've got some killer deals at the flea market before. Like a big ass top and bottom Craftsman toolchest for $30, a classic 60s chopped Honda Minibike for $75 with a street legal, all kinds of shit. Although those was some kickass deals! Maybe about even.

I mean on account it's basically brand new, has a 1 year warranty, etc. And it looks so good. I was certain it couldn't be so sweet! But its perfect!

Now just set up the home theater.

And BTW to y'all, its true those lumens ratings are actually somewhat irrelevent. I read that they was. With the sun partly shining on the paper I has for a screen, and quite a bit of ambient light, Projector about 12 feet away, it looks fine. It works best dark, but its not that dim really. We's had much higher rated one before that ain't no brighter. Like the online says that if I has any light at 12 feet away over 5% ambient light, it needs more lumens. I don't think so. Yea if the lights will be on a bit then its a good ideal but it works great.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,983
I just blew up my 2nd bulb on my Epson 8100. I love the projector, but the 1st bulb lasted 1000 hours and the next one only 600 hours. So much for the rated 4000 hour bulb life. At about $250 each it gets expensive to waste time watching TV. I think I will try some of the cheaper replacement bulbs this time, the official Epson ones don't seem worth any extra money. I found one for $102 on Amazon, I'll try one of those.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #22
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

GSWayne thats too bad! Thats the only thing I HATE about projectors, I'm sure just like the rest of y'all. Man, I'll be bummed if this bulb goes out anytime soon. I hope it goes a minimum of 1,500 hours but 2,000+ is ideal.

I here ya on the cost!

Wander why they both go out so soon? One thought is how the UPS guys treat them in shipping, could be a problem? Also, make sure not to move the projector even slightly when its hot, I herd this can take a lot of life out of them. I just wish they wasn't so sensitive.

ALSO, I have one concern. Just thinking, I have 2 refrigerators and a Window Air Conditioner in my bedroom. They's all on the same circuit [not outlet, just the circuit braker]. NOW, on account just how sensitive these bulbs tend to be, I hope the intermittent slight loss of power from when the compressors come on could shorten the bulb's life? Or am I just going to crazy over this? Just a thought. Now, the projector don't seem to dim when they kick on, never noticed it, but the lights do sometimes. Any ideas on that?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #23
RonS
Out there...

I have had only had one bulb go out early. I chock it up to a power outage. What ever you do, do not just power the projector off (as in flip the power switch). Rapid cool down is a problem whether it is a rear or front projector. It's usually a double click on the display button that takes it into a suspend state. That will keep the fan running until the bulb cools down. You never really need to flip off the power switch. I never do. Just double click from suspend and it comes back on again.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I have had only had one bulb go out early. I chock it up to a power outage. What ever you do, do not just power the projector off (as in flip the power switch). Rapid cool down is a problem whether it is a rear or front projector. It's usually a double click on the display button that takes it into a suspend state. That will keep the fan running until the bulb cools down. You never really need to flip off the power switch. I never do. Just double click from suspend and it comes back on again.

Yea I herd about that. I do the same. The fan don't run long either, only about a little over a minute usually. Yea, a power outtage could suck! We has them now and then in the summer, maybe I should get me one of them battery things for computers for that to let it cool down with the fan if it went out?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

I cannot think of any reason for my bulbs dying. I don't have any heavy intermittent loads on the circuit, I have a heavy duty surge suppressor for the house, a local surge protector power strip for the projector, we don't have many lightning storms around here, I never turn off the projector with a external power switch, and line voltage measures 121 volts (a little high but should not be close to a damaging level).

The last bulb that died blew up just as it was turning on. I don't remember the exact failure mode of previous bulb deaths.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
RaceMan8100
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
I just blew up my 2nd bulb on my Epson 8100. I love the projector, but the 1st bulb lasted 1000 hours and the next one only 600 hours. So much for the rated 4000 hour bulb life. At about $250 each it gets expensive to waste time watching TV. I think I will try some of the cheaper replacement bulbs this time, the official Epson ones don't seem worth any extra money. I found one for $102 on Amazon, I'll try one of those.
Hey GSWayne...I have an Epson 8100, too. Got it refurb for $749. Not sure if you read the boards at AVSforum.com, but many have chimed in about blown lamps and that Epson has been extending the bulb warranty beyond the 90 days to two years. Even if you are past the warranty, I would call and tell them about the first blown lamp and that you paid for it out of pocket. Make the case...plead with them...they will probably take care of you.

Let me know how it goes.

Here is the official Epson 8100 Owner's Page -- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204601&page=63
RaceMan8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #27
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
For something that eats up $250 lamps, even a halfassed UPS would be a good investment.

Clean power that will keep cooking through short outtages.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #28
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Explain your shut off regimen.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Explain your shut off regimen.
I turn if off with the remote control. The power to the projector is always on.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #30
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
I turn if off with the remote control. The power to the projector is always on.
Well, that isn't it then. That is correct. So are you buying chicom lamps or OEM lamps? IF you buy replacement lamps on the net, chances are unless they say they are factory fresh OEM lamps, and they are made by a Japanese company, they are knock offs and you are getting jacked. What model is the projector?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: