Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #4861
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 629
Went for a 3 hour ride today. Rode the floodway south from #1 to the south end of it. Did some exploring and found a deserted farm house with a few old buildings and a beat up old Yamaha DT sitting there. What a find!!!!

and another close up of the old Yammy

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #4862
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
There are lowering kits for most bikes, so pick your bike and check to see if there is a kit.
My first choice: KLR's are the least expensive of all to purchase, operate and farkle....
2nd, the DR,
3rd, the BMW
Keep in mind the style of riding you do most.
Very easy to make your own lowering links for the KLR. Nothing fancy about them at all. I've got home made links on mine and they work fine for lowering the bike. The longer the link, the lower the bike, and the more the mechanical advantage on the shock which effectively reduces spring rate. Keep that in mind. My links lowered the bike approx 2 inches, which is nice for short ass people like me, but the spring rate is now much too light. It's a trade off. Also, your stand will have to be shortened as well. I'm going to make another set to lower the bike about 1 inch and try that out. If you weigh much more than about 180 or so I wouldn't recommend changing link length unless you get a stronger spring.
(You can see how much lower my bike is in the above post)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #4863
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,184
Old bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark96 View Post
Went for a 3 hour ride today. Rode the floodway south from #1 to the south end of it. Did some exploring and found a deserted farm house with a few old buildings and a beat up old Yamaha DT sitting there. What a find!!!!

and another close up of the old Yammy

How cool to find an old dirt bike while out an a little adventure ride. My wife says when we are out having an adventure you always want to come across one interesting thing, the old Yamaha in the woods definitely qualifies!
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #4864
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,567
Hey Mark, it looks like an early 70's 125cc or 175.

A nice picture just the same.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #4865
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Olive bike in Selkirk...nope, wasn't me....I wish.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #4866
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-off View Post
Got some money burning in my pocket about 6k. I'm looking at cruisers a bit,then there is the new Honda 700 dual sport,a used BMW 650 online,a Versey, a Suzuki 650 DR, a couple of used KLRS.

Remember I have a in-seam of about 29",what do you guys or girls think I should consider? Feel free to send me links or ideas{I deleted my fb account}.
Looked at he KLR. I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. Sound familiar? Anyway, I found a very reasonable deal on a DR650. I don't find it too tall at all. I suspect that the thing is just so light, that the height just doesn't become an issue.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #4867
skysailor
Rat Rider

Nice out there today. Might attempt a journey to Dryden for lunch. Kuppers? Bandit's new tyres need a few more miles.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #4868
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Nice out there today. Might attempt a journey to Dryden for lunch. Kuppers? Bandit's new tyres need a few more miles.
You could head here, we are apparently doing a camp fire at Albert Beach tonite and we may sacrifice tube steaks to the food Gods.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #4869
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
You could head here, we are apparently doing a camp fire at Albert Beach tonite and we may sacrifice tube steaks to the food Gods.
You guys go howl at the moon. I'd love to join ya! Have way too much on my plate tomorrow. Enjoy and ride safe.
Lyle
Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #4870
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
A tiny caution for hwy 307 thru Whiteshell - brought my GL1200 back from Pinawa on Sunday and took the scenic route (307/44). Quite a lot of gravel on some corners on 307 yet.

My new alternator conversion (AC Delco rebuild from the U.S.) was making a lot of noise by the time I got back. Dropped it off at Ace Auto elec - told me the rebuild was a 'last til the end of the warranty' job. In this case it just lasted long enough for me to mod the alternator and void the warranty. Oh well what's another hundred $??

Edit: turns out the original rebuilder re used a defective stator...

MacNoob screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 12:30 PM
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #4871
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
A tiny caution for hwy 307 thru Whiteshell - brought my GL1200 back from Pinawa on Sunday and took the scenic route (307/44). Quite a lot of gravel on some corners on 307 yet.

My new alternator conversion (AC Delco rebuild from the U.S.) was making a lot of noise by the time I got back. Dropped it off at Ace Auto elec - told me the rebuild was a 'last til the end of the warranty' job. In this case it just lasted long enough for me to mod the alternator and void the warranty. Oh well what's another hundred $??
Bummer about the alternator, but at least you won't have the expense and hassle (never mind the wait) of shipping it to the States and back.
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #4872
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Thursday

Quote:
Did you guys get away to St Albert beach? Weather here in the south was cold wet and very windy!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #4873
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
Did you guys get away to St Albert beach? Weather here in the south was cold wet and very windy!
I just got back from adding some youth to the senior's convention at Albert Beach. Between the "I'm cold" "my back hurts" and "get off my lawn", I'm surprised they had the energy to drink beer.

Thank again Kelly. It was a short time, but a good time. (only 3 deer on the way home)
Old 04-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #4874
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

youth movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post
I just got back from adding some youth to the senior's convention at Albert Beach. Between the "I'm cold" "my back hurts" and "get off my lawn", I'm surprised they had the energy to drink beer.

Thank again Kelly. It was a short time, but a good time. (only 3 deer on the way home)
Way to go HUMVEE! Good to know there was a turnout for the beach, maybe the hippies went skinny dipping after you left. I read your post as "only 3 BEER on the way home" Not sure which would be more dangerous to your health! Maybe a few pics will find their way onto here later!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #4875
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Old farts at play

Rugbyrtcwka's Icebreaker...
Friday was a great day, sunny and warmish, the food was good and the libations plentiful.
The company was barely tolerable , so it was a treat to hear HumVee's KLR pull in after dark.
Not many were pics taken, as there would be severe penalties if the beer wasn't consumed before it got too warm.

The rugged north...

The pink "beer and burger disposal unit" can be seen after a hasty visit from Backroader.

Somebody was planning world domination... and it wasn't Kelly.

And finally, Rugbyrtcwka makes a great fire! (with a little help from his friends.)

Thanks Rugbyrtswker!
Cheers!

PiffleMaster screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 12:52 PM
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote