Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #1141
salgiambruno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Feature Request: View in Google Earth

Hello Crafty,

I was reviewing a user map today on dualsportmaps.com (the test URL) and hoping to have an enjoyable experience exploring a dual sport route. It wasn't long (during the course of my exploring) however, before I ran into a (previously-encountered) snag that stopped me in my tracks and ruined the experience for me.

As you may recall, I am having a problem with the waypoint callouts disappearing before I can get my mouse pointer over to the callout to copy information (i.e. comments, map coordinates, etc). Most of the time, the callout disappears before I have had a chance to read ANY of the information. I can't begin to express how utterly frustrating I find this behavior to be. Has anyone else found this behavior to be intolerable, or is it just me?

It would be nice if, at the very least, the sidebar had a section (separate from the author's comments section) that included non-editable, system-derived information (e.g. map coordinates, elevation). Even a waypoint "properties" dialogue box would suffice. At least this way, the callout behavior could be ignored and would not pose a problem for someone trying to access waypoint information, say for example, someone trying to copy the map coordinates of a waypoint to the OS (Windows) clipboard.

The "Copy to Clipboard" function (button in the waypoint callout) does not copy the discrete contents of the waypoint, only the waypoint object itself, which seems useful only within the mapping app itself. I am aware that there are dynamic GPS coordinates in the lower-right corner of the map section, but these are not selectable and furthermore require that the mouse be kept in Hover on the waypoint. This is useful only if you don't mind getting out a pen and paper to jot down the coordinates by hand (not an elegant or precise way to achieve this task), then entering them into the desired destination manually. But I believe there is solution to this awkward workflow.

Essentially, IMHO, the callout behavior for waypoints should be revisited. The MouseEvent rules should be modified. A MouseClick event should open and close the callout permanently. In a state where the callout has been opened with a MouseClick event, any future MouseOver events should be ignored (i.e. prevented from triggering new callouts). Callouts that are opened due to a MouseOver event (and not a MouseClick event) should trigger the existing (interrupting) callout behavior.

Related to that, I was wondering if there is any chance you might add a "View Map in Google Earth" function to the web interface any time in the future? I find it highly useful to get a 3D view of my routes. I sometimes even generate elevation profiles (via Google Earth). Using your mapping app (web), I accomplish this by playing hide and seek with the interface (the callouts), trying to copy the coordinates of a waypoint (if a waypoint even exists where I need it) from the callouts before they disappear, then pasting the coordinates into Google Earth to get a matching view of the map.

I very much enjoy and appreciate what you guys have done with dualsportmaps.com. It is THE BEST mapping application I have seen to-date - with highly useful features that are not available through any other solution. I hope your refinement efforts will serve to further improve the user experience and usability of a great application.

-Sal

Check out My Riding Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/aerofart
salgiambruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #1142
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,219
I'm working on something new for you Sal. You are the only one to complain to me about it, but I happen to agree its annoying if you really want to read the waypoint info. Let try to keep the dramatic phrases to a minimum though I tend to get cranky

There are fights tonight which I do not plan on missing, so unless I finish in the next 20 minutes expect something tomorrow on the test site to check out. I'll post up here when its ready.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #1143
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Sal, we are in luck. I got something finished and uploaded to the test site before the fights started.

BTW, I love the idea of using Google Earth. It was on the list but I appreciate you interest. One of these days I will be refactoring the website for Maps V3 and then I will add Earth as well.

Got to run, FIGHTS STARTING RIGHT THIS SECOND!!!!

Can you tell I love fights?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #1144
salgiambruno
Adventurer

Perfect!

Works great now, just as one might expect. Much appreciated.

And BTW, that wasn't drama . . .

Enjoy the fights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Sal, we are in luck. I got something finished and uploaded to the test site before the fights started.

BTW, I love the idea of using Google Earth. It was on the list but I appreciate you interest. One of these days I will be refactoring the website for Maps V3 and then I will add Earth as well.

Got to run, FIGHTS STARTING RIGHT THIS SECOND!!!!

Can you tell I love fights?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #1145
salgiambruno
Adventurer

Nice job, Troy. Forgot to thank you for that earlier, though it wasn't so apparent that you had done anything at the time. My bad . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWolf View Post
Lucky enough, I didn't see this, so I kept right along coding and testing. Once I had it working slick, I sent it to Joshua for his review. Next thing I know he's put all the features right into the core product. Cool!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #1146
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Agreed. Troy is the man. He's a fount of good ideas and sound advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salgiambruno View Post
Nice job, Troy. Forgot to thank you for that earlier, though it wasn't so apparent that you had done anything at the time. My bad . . .
Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #1147
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

website updated

Hey y'all. I've updated the main website to show all the new features we've been discussing here. If you run into any issues please let me know ASAP. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #1148
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,908
Does this new mouse behavior apply to existing maps or only new one.
I'm trying to click the copy to clipboard button without success. Callout disappears as soon as I move the mouse off the icon. Running Firebox 11

Edit:
I tried IE and mouse works as it should so it's a firefox issue.
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #1149
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Firefox works for me. I only have version 8 and 12 though. If I had to guess, I'd say you are looking at an older version of the website. Try clearing your cache or even just restarting Firefox and verify. You will know you have the latest version of the website if you see the two new buttons at the top left corner of the map.

Remember, you have to click on the icon in order to make it stick. If you just hover without clicking it will disappear like it did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1445 View Post
Does this new mouse behavior apply to existing maps or only new one.
I'm trying to click the copy to clipboard button without success. Callout disappears as soon as I move the mouse off the icon. Running Firebox 11

Edit:
I tried IE and mouse works as it should so it's a firefox issue.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #1150
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,908
working now
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #1151
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,062
Hey Crafty, I haven't been on the site in a few weeks and just went out to see what's new in my area. The site is currently not displaying anything. The FAVicon loads (maybe cached, not sure) but the page source is completely blank.

Temporary issue?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #1152
NoMoIke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Hey Crafty, I haven't been on the site in a few weeks and just went out to see what's new in my area. The site is currently not displaying anything. The FAVicon loads (maybe cached, not sure) but the page source is completely blank.

Temporary issue?

Thanks!
What ^^^he^^^ said. On FF, Chrome, and Dolphin.
NoMoIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #1153
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I just bounced the server and its back up. About once a month the site takes a dump...nothing in the error log. It's sort of annoying. The irritating thing about it is that its just the home page. The rest of the site works fine so I can't tell because I have the home page cached.

Thanks for heads up.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #1154
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,929
Just bought this app. I've got some of the others and they don't get used for a plethora of reasons. Hopefully this one will be friendly enough that I'll use it.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #1155
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
Just bought this app. I've got some of the others and they don't get used for a plethora of reasons. Hopefully this one will be friendly enough that I'll use it.

John
If not, tell me why not. I will seriously consider changes to improve the software (assuming its not just a training issue).