Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #226
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post
Not as far as I can tell. The website states its on the included warranty card.

Emailed them twice to see if there is some other way to get it, and to throw myself at their mercy - no response.
Okay mine has a really long number on a sticker on the back, I assumed that was the serial. I update mine using the cardo update software installed on a pc.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #227
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
They emailed me back. It's the number under the barcode on the back of the unit. I'm dumb.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #228
802mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Tried to update my pair of G4s last night. One updated fine and the other kept giving the message that
it was not turned on and to "Retry".
Should they both update from the same program or do you have to register each one individually and
have separate programs.
The first one went fine, I tried different cords and still nothing.
Any ideas??
802mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #229
802mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802mike View Post
Tried to update my pair of G4s last night. One updated fine and the other kept giving the message that
it was not turned on and to "Retry".
Should they both update from the same program or do you have to register each one individually and
have separate programs.
The first one went fine, I tried different cords and still nothing.
Any ideas??

Got this reply back for support. Haven't tried it yet.

Each scala rider headset will update independently, but can use the same software. We suggest to to as follows to resolve your issue:

* *Uninstall the Cardo Upgrades Software
* *Restart your computer
* *Do not connect the G4 until the "Please Verify" screen appears
* *Install the Cardo Setup File
* *Do not start the software directly from the setup
* *Locate the Shortcut to Cardo Upgrades.exe Icon on the desktop
* *Right click the icon and run as administrator (if running Windows XP or 7)
* *Connect G4 with USB Cable (LED will show Solid Red Light)
* *Follow instructions on "Please Verify" screen
* *Wait for the system to acknowledge the driver was installed properly
* *Follow the "Please Verify" instructions if screen appears again

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist you with any other questions.

Best Regards,

Robert Wargo
Technical Support
Cardo Systems, Inc.

Phone: *********+1 412.788.4533
Fax: ***********+1 412.788.0270
Toll Free: *****+1 800.488.0363
International: *+49.894.503.6819
robert@cardosystems.com
802mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #230
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer: 215
Static and volume issue

We have a power set. It had been working very well for the first two months. We both got new helmets and we moved the units to the new helmets. Now when we get further than 100 feet from each other the volume on my wife's set gets very low. The communication is spotty with only parts or words and sentences coming through and when they do is is very low volume. She states that there is a lot of static as well. However, when we are within 50 feet everything sounds fine.

The software is up to date.

I've swapped the electronic unit to the headset on my helmet and have no problem. It would appear that the headset on my wife's helmet is bad. But why only when we are 100+ feet apart?

Cardo wants to do a RMA. No problem but we are going on a trip soon and the unit would not likely be back.

Ideas?
vtgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #231
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgs View Post
We have a power set. It had been working very well for the first two months. We both got new helmets and we moved the units to the new helmets. Now when we get further than 100 feet from each other the volume on my wife's set gets very low. The communication is spotty with only parts or words and sentences coming through and when they do is is very low volume. She states that there is a lot of static as well. However, when we are within 50 feet everything sounds fine.

The software is up to date.

I've swapped the electronic unit to the headset on my helmet and have no problem. It would appear that the headset on my wife's helmet is bad. But why only when we are 100+ feet apart?

Cardo wants to do a RMA. No problem but we are going on a trip soon and the unit would not likely be back.

Ideas?
I see you swapped hers onto yours, did you try yours on hers?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #232
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer: 215
Did swap both

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I see you swapped hers onto yours, did you try yours on hers?
Yes we swapped them both. I can always hear her with either unit. She can't hear me as indicated in my previous post using either.
vtgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #233
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
How to connect two G4s to a single audio source.

I'll preface this by emphasizing that our G4s have never worked with both intercom and any audio source. I usually have XM or MP3 from a zumo and the wife listens to an Ipod hardwired. We can talk on intercom or, turn on my zumo BT and she can turn on her Ipod.
We picked up a Boostaroo from Radio Shack $25. It takes one input jack and has three output jacks. Runs on two AA batteries. We just got back from a trip where we were going to use it but, forgot an extra cord and didn't notice until too late.
Dry tested it today and both helmets worked just fine with the audio input. The way I'm going to run my setup is to take an audio extender cord from the zumo, or it's harness if I can dig it out of the frame, and have the extender exit behind my seat. The Boostaroo will connect between the two of us. The two cords will come off of the Boostaroo and into the helmets, mine from behind, hers in front as usual.
Since the G4 was never intended to BT the same source and, I suspect there is a major BT development required to do that, this is as good as one can do......I think.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #234
Ferguson
n00b

Oddometer: 7
You have to give the microphone the best chance to work to its potential.
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #235
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Anyone else here using a gps, in my case a Garmin Montana, with a Scala intercom, where the Rugged Mount audio cable is wired into the Scala? The reason I ask is that I sent an email to Garmin asking this:

Hi, I was wondering if there would be any way to address this problem: I have a Montana 650, with the Rugged Mount audio cable into a Scala G4 intercom and I always miss the first words of whatever's said, since the intercom's voice activated, but not instant.

I really like my Scala but this part does not work particularly well. It would be much better if the gps could send a wake-up call to the intercom a couple of seconds before the real message is sent.

Garmin replied this way:

We don’t often add features for a single individual, although I’ll add this one to the review pool when we next sort them. We’ll probably need a little more information if/when that happens (how long of a beep?, how long should we wait until speaking?, how loud of a beep?).

This really seems like a bug in the G4. The G4 looks like it is treating the MP3 hardline as if it were an intercom instead of a standard audio input. I guess this works alright for MP3 players, as long as you don’t pause the MP3 player too long. I only ask that you check with them as it seems like they’ve got an option for this for the intercom modes (voice connect vs channel button connect).

End quote

So, anyone else have this problem with a Garmin gps and willing to add their voice to the request? Or should I see if Scala would have a solution?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #236
randy quad
n00b

Hi Emmbeedee. I have a Montana and never even considered that there would be a way to connect it to the G4 other than to use the hard wire input (MP3 connection on rear of unit). And I thought that input would only manually turn on.

Have you figured out a way to connect the Montana output to the microphone of its own dedicated G4?

randy
randy quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #237
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy quad View Post
Hi Emmbeedee. I have a Montana and never even considered that there would be a way to connect it to the G4 other than to use the hard wire input (MP3 connection on rear of unit). And I thought that input would only manually turn on.

Have you figured out a way to connect the Montana output to the microphone of its own dedicated G4?

randy
What I use is the Montana's wired output on the "Rugged Mount" to the MP3/Aux connection. I don't do anything special to turn that connection on, it just is active when sound is going through it as far as I can tell. As long as no other input is currently active, that is. The MP3/Auxiliary Line In Port connection has the lowest priority.

This is what the manual says about the MP3/Aux channel:

"Any other audio connection will automatically mute the MP3 Player. The audio signal will return only when the G4 is once again in Standby mode."

Edit: Hmm, now that I read the manual, this leads me to believe that I shouldn't need to wake that channel at all; I just need to be sure no other channel is active.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 12:19 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #238
randy quad
n00b

I understand now. We always ride with either the I-Pod bluetoothed or the Intercom to other rider active. So I would never hear the Montana in my scenario. That is why I was confused.

Thanks for explaining.
randy
randy quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #239
carlt828
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
A buddy & I bought the G4 Powerset last year for a Colorado trip. It worked great and was the best investment we made. This year however, we had a technical difficulty. To be fair, the other guy somehow messed up the rubber button seal on the top of his unit. He fixed it but it is a variable in the equation.

Our problem was that sometimes I would talk but he would not hear me at all. When he could hear me, sometimes my volume would be low. Also, his volume would start out low and almost inaudible and then jump up to the normal level. We swapped units and the problem switched; sometimes I couldn't hear him when he talked. The volume level problem we resolved to the mic moving away from directly in front of my mouth. Probably bouncing around the trails caused it to move some which some duc tape will fix. I think his problem is related to the electronics being compromised and maybe some moisture in the unit is causing the problem.

What kinda ticked both of us off is that he called Scala today and found out that they only work on units less than 2 years old and only with a copy of a sales receipt. We bought the units off Craigslist last year and don't have one. Scala doesn't charge for repairing other than shipping (which is great) but won't look at a unit at any price without a receipt (not so great). For a unit that fits a niche market we both thought this was poor customer service not standing behind their product. I could see charging to look at a unit they do not know is in warranty or not but to not even be willing to try is a big disappointment. I really like the units themselves and would recommend them to anyone who asks. Now, I'd have be not quite so enthusiastic in my recommendations.

Once again though, when they worked, they worked great.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #240
jeremyr62
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Newbie here with a G4 issue.
Anyone had the FM radio pack up and have a fix? One of the reasons I bought the G4 to replace my original Cardo Scala mono was the FM radio, I realise most do not use it much but I like it and have organised a system where I can use it to pick up a DAB radio signal (digital radio in UK/Ireland) which is rebroadcast using a wireless transmitter. This has worked fine to date. The G4 otherwise works perfectly. I've done all the usual, charge, remove pairings, reload v3 firmware but the FM radio stays stubbornly silent. I suspect a hardware failure.

Cardo are not interested despite it being less then 2 years old. I purchased off Ebay and they told me this does not entitle me to any warranty cover. I complained that this wasn't made clear on their website and lo and behold, the following day an "important message" appears in the "where to buy link" saying if you buy from an unauthorized reseller = no warranty. Amazingly they include Amazon in this category.

So I am left with a busted G4. Before I go and purchase another can anyone comment if the G9 FM radio is any better? The G4 radio was very poor at picking up stations IME (hence the DAB cludge) but despite some reviews claiming the G9 radio has been improved, I've yet to read any user comments about this.

Thanks.

EDIT. Cardo got in touch by email and gave me the address of the UK distributor (PAMA) who were pretty decent about having a look at my unit. They did confirm it was out of warranty but they are at least taking a look at it so you never know. I will post back when I get a conclusion.

ANOTHER EDIT
They sent me a new unit. Well done Cardo and their UK distributor (PAMA).

jeremyr62 screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 09:48 AM Reason: Story changed agai.n
jeremyr62 is offline   Reply With Quote