R1200GS Drive Shaft U-Joint Failure @ 58K Miles

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by airansun, Sep 21, 2008.

1. hb7

hb7 moto-science : the king of motorcycle mirrors

Oddometer:
    Single sided shaft drive swing arms look sexy, but still not as reliable the conventional twin arm shaft drive designs.
    Single sided swing arms go in the novelty bin.....*except for the Wing and possibly the Stelvio.
    The Wing really needs one, otherwise rear tire changing would be too much of an ordeal.
    Ducati uses single sided swing arms to sell bikes to the "ricky racer market", but uses the twin arm for racing.
    The Stelvio uses a serious looking clam shell 3 bearing design which looks like they made a very serious effort when compared to all the BMW 2 bearings design editions, *even with the "new improved" final drive vent for 2012.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wFn0zyBXwiXonMfsg&sig2=1eCufDoVpyTX2ObBHwqIjw
  2. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what happened to me after 80K Km -2007 1200 GSA
    Front u-joint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. hb7

Oddometer:
    We know you drink the Koolaid, Jim. We discuss these things because we are very interested in bikes and not to personally annoy you.
    Catastrophic failure of the drive shaft is something that could be very hazardous at speed.

The pictures don't lie.....

Above is Pixxellman's perfect drivshaft example as you put it, with 50K miles.

Also this lucky guy.... who looks like he avoided hospital, though I wonder how.....

[​IMG]
  4. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Not taking anybody's side in this (as I just replaced my u-joint in my tailshaft :D) but in this picture the tailshaft is still attached to the FD (just above the number 5). This looks more to me as an accident where the bike got hit and or the actual Paralever failed. Without seeing the other half end of the shaft, this picture tells me nothing...
    It's still a very interesting picture anyway...
  5. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as we are are reviving a 4 year old thread, my drive shaft went at about 60k miles. I was turning the tire to check the air and noticed a fair amount of resistance. One of the U joints was starting to go. At some pint down the road it would have failed catastrophically. So if your worried about your driveshaft, spin the wheel. if it's much harder to turn than before, that is your warning of impending failure. Dave

(I was referring to my 2005 R1200GS. It has been over some rough off road - passes in Colorado, etc. But it's mostly a bike for long distance travel. I did try a jump on a trail the day before I noticed the joints were failing. But I rode 150 miles home after).
  6. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    You list a R1200GS..what year? Mostly pavement or off road? Please post what you find when you take it apart. Assuming it wasn't the RT.

Thanks.
  7. AndyM

AndyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's how I detected that my drive shaft was failing. Spinning the rear wheel it would get tight and loose. I replaced it before it hurt anything else. 09 GSA with 70k mostly road miles.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Nah, logic never trumps a dramatic photo. We need another flaming FD too!:lol3

Jim :brow
  9. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling that this is the best farkle money can buy. I'm sometimes suspicious that all the stories on this site are fabricated by BMW to sell warranties. Alas, they are not, I almost forgot about the warranty until the saleslady mentioned it then I was like "oh fuck yeah." lol, I hope it never pays for itself.
  10. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Since BMW doesn't sell warranties, why would they do that?
  11. Spout

Spout English GStleman

Oddometer:
    My rear uj failed at 45000 miles. 80mph - certainly woke me up!

There was about half a second of rumble through the pegs to warn me, followed by a grunching noise, and then locked rear wheel.

HP2 BTW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    KemoSabe1943 likes this.
  12. tommyvdv

tommyvdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can't see the pics
  13. tommyvdv

tommyvdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    checked up on my drive shaft after having "my guy" put new bearings on it.
    Seems it's heading back to it's "bad" state again, rapidly.

I noticed the vibrations in the pegs were a lot less after the new bearings were put in. This is getting worse every km. Not to a point that my feet sleep, not to a point that it might lock up at any moment. But still…

Also noticed that the seals of the lever don't fit snuggly. Water, dust, etc getting in there does not seem like a good idea wear-wise. Got the comment of "that same guy" after a routine maintenance that he found water and soap in there shortly after i cleaned it. New seals might be a good idea to minimize wear on a/the new/current shaft.

Going on a 5k km trip next month, hoping to put in a new shaft before then.

The bike had 35k, now has 65+ (km's). So it drove 60k with the old bearings. Only 5k with the new and it looks like it'll be back to the 60k state within another 5k.
    Almost could not turn my wheel around with both hands back then.

Anyone else having (good) experiences with these so called drive shaft revision kits?
  14. hb7

Oddometer:
    They can spend $10-20 more on larger bearings and UJs. It's 2012, we have this technical ability and a ~$20k bike should be at least this good as opposed to the marginal safety factor illustrated by this thread.
  15. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is the size of the UJ is the issue rather it is the lack of serviceability. I've not seen any pictures of busted crosses that didn't look like it had gotten hot from lack of lubrication. Both of the the both joints in my shaft had at least one dry cap when I took them out.

The joints I put back in my shaft were rated at 383 ft lbs torque.
  16. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    On my 1150 Adventure the first driveshaft was replaced at 97,000 miles. The front joit was loose but not exploded.

The second driveshaft died at around 168,000 near redline in third gear.

That took out the swingarm as well.

There were no swingarms for 1150's in the US. No estimate on when. Cost new was in excess of $800 plus the $700 drive shaft.
    A friend found two used swing arms from Ebay resellers. I got one for less than $200.

Badne$$
    [​IMG]

more badne$$
    [​IMG]

New to me
    [​IMG]

All better,
    [​IMG]

I was two miles from home and the asshat behind me passed me on the right forcing me into the triangle between the ramp and freeway when it all let loose.
    I now pull the swinging arm off and the shaft and feel the u-joint every year, or about 20,000 miles. It's just cheaper that way.
    KemoSabe1943 likes this.
  17. franzzzzzzz

franzzzzzzz shut up and dance

Oddometer:
    Swingarm dont look to bad..Why change for another ? Is there more serious gouge ?
    I had same experience last year and paralever was grind a bit but reusable.
  18. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    There is evidence of cracks. I bought and installed another.
    The "another" was free from visible problems.

19. Spout

Spout English GStleman

Oddometer:
  20. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    I had mine rebuilt after seeing the carnage Mr. head posted..peace of mind is priceless:pope