Oddometer: 7,817
Foiled by snow!

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #1367
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,548
Pics

See ya just dont get pics (views) like that in Flatistan....

So whats this snow thing! Been so long since I ve seen any!

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #1368
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Foiled by snow!

Wow that's just incredible. I've been a flatlander my whole life and can't imagine scenery like that in my backyard...yer makin us jealous, but that's OK--keep postin pics mang!

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #1369
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,584
Bluhduh Post 1350 - left in the dust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberguy View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...56&postcount=1

The video pretty well summarizes my attitude towards riding 'til I drop.

Your ”panhandle old guys” forum areas seems to be the right place to ask my questions.

I’m a long time rider (both dirt & street). I have been in an ECEA enduro club for 29 years

I will be coming to Florida in late June 2012. On my way to visiting family in Bradenton, I want to take a look around the panhandle area, with a view to maybe relocating. The riding opportunities may be pretty good in the panhandle Apalachicola neighborhood…correct?...comments?

On a return drive from Bradenton last spring, I got lost and ended up wandering in northern Florida long enough to think “Wow! This is just like the pine barrens of New Jersey (where I have been riding for decades)…so I would like to explore the area over a few days in June…the question is where exactly?.

My initial impression is that the east side of Apalachicola N.F. might be a good place to relocate. Small towns next to the forest could provide easy on-road ride into the forest without trailering. And with Tallahassee not too far I could probably find competent doctors and hospitals (I have a seizure disorder and a pacemaker, my wife is recovering from cancer). Is this anywhere near true? Or are there better regions that you could recommend?

Is Apalachicola N.F. actually friendly to off road riders? My good old pine barrens are being strangled by unelected “environmental” bureaucrats that think preventing a salamander from getting a headache is more important than dirt bike access. Are some N.F. areas better than others? What are the best access points to those areas?

As a total know-nothing about the panhandle area, I would appreciate any local insight into better areas, towns, that would combine a decent place to live with easy access to good areas to ride.
Pburguy - I saw this the day you posted it up and was hoping some old guys would chime in and give you the 411. Hell that was a few days ago. But with the way things shuffle around in this joint, you never know what's liable to happen.

I am not too much of an effussive talker - or typer for that matter but I can tell you this. I spent about 3 years in purgatory. I.E. - south Jersey. (Stratford, Bordentown, and Mt. Laural) I was working for Lockheed Martin at the "Ship in the cornfield" - if you know what I am referring to. And yes - the topography and climate is not too dissimilar.

I have roots here and have always returned due to no state tax, no car inspections, no other sort of big brother mandates that so many other states get away with. I LOVE the panhandle. Some hate it. It is NOT the culture capital of the universe -- and I like it that way. I find "the culture" somewhat endearing. My Latino ex-wife, on the other hand, thought this place SUCKED. And I can understand why. Hell when I got here in 1967 I thought that it sucked too (coming originally from RI).

The cool thing about NW FL is that is isn't run over yet. Things are still cheap. Regulators haven't taken over (yet). Most of the yankee snow bird retiree flock gravitate down to places south of the big bend area so that they feel more comfortable with similar demographics and accents. My Dad still "paaaauks his kaaauhs in the garaaauge ;-) (Both my folks were born and raised in RI. - So that whole thing I can get up with.)

Disclaimer - I was born south of the Mason Dixon line!!!

I dunno mang - but to me, this place is great. I have been here on and off since I was about 6yo. It grew on me.

It might you too.

Just thought I'd throw a bone. If you have left, not to return agin, I'll understand. I apologize for your well written inquirey getting left in the dust... Feel free to PM me and I'll shoot you my number and will be more than happy to give you any answers that I can.
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #1370
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
huh????

HUH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusivePedro View Post
Pburguy - I saw this the day you posted it up and was hoping some old guys would chime in and give you the 411. Hell that was a few days ago. But with the way things shuffle around in this joint, you never know what's liable to happen.

I am not too much of an effussive talker - or typer for that matter but I can tell you this. I spent about 3 years in purgatory. I.E. - south Jersey. (Stratford, Bordentown, and Mt. Laural) I was working for Lockheed Martin at the "Ship in the cornfield" - if you know what I am referring to. And yes - the topography and climate is not too dissimilar.

I have roots here and have always returned due to no state tax, no car inspections, no other sort of big brother mandates that so many other states get away with. I LOVE the panhandle. Some hate it. It is NOT the culture capital of the universe -- and I like it that way. I find "the culture" somewhat endearing. My Latino ex-wife, on the other hand, thought this place SUCKED. And I can understand why. Hell when I got here in 1967 I thought that it sucked too (coming originally from RI).

The cool thing about NW FL is that is isn't run over yet. Things are still cheap. Regulators haven't taken over (yet). Most of the yankee snow bird retiree flock gravitate down to places south of the big bend area so that they feel more comfortable with similar demographics and accents. My Dad still "paaaauks his kaaauhs in the garaaauge ;-) (Both my folks were born and raised in RI. - So that whole thing I can get up with.)

Disclaimer - I was born south of the Mason Dixon line!!!

I dunno mang - but to me, this place is great. I have been here on and off since I was about 6yo. It grew on me.

It might you too.

Just thought I'd throw a bone. If you have left, not to return agin, I'll understand. I apologize for your well written inquirey getting left in the dust... Feel free to PM me and I'll shoot you my number and will be more than happy to give you any answers that I can.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #1371
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebornman View Post
HUH?
If i recall right, brother George spent some time up north too. All the stories run together, but they're all superb. << That's a sigline you FF's are welcome to And it's Truth

Petey, welcome back hombre. I'm with you on the grief cycle. BTDT

New Guy, come on down. Inept did the ADV post math the other day and the Panhandle is one of the most active Regionals in all ADV. From such humble beginnings

You can ride in any profile you wish down here. Come explore and sound off
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #1372
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 11,993
Is this chit cut and paste

or do y'all axually have time to type all that chit?

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #1373
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniel View Post
Is this chit cut and paste

or do y'all axually have time to type all that chit?
It's local context, Alan. But the part about comforting the FF whose mother died a couple weeks ago is not cut'n'paste whatsoever. That part is pure care for a Friend.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #1374
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebornman View Post
HUH?
G - wtf man? The dude took the time to write out what he was curious about and not a one of us bothered to acknowledge him. --> so there, that's the reason for the "HUH?"

Mug - thanks man - we are all getting on now, the biggest deal lately is my Dad's broken ankle rx'd from completeing his MSF riders course. Poor old guy. I cannot believe how pissed off he's been due to the fact that he hasn't been able to fly or drive (right rudder/gas pedal). Shit like that takes a loooooong time to heal on an 81yo guy.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #1375
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusivePedro View Post
G - wtf man? The dude took the time to write out what he was curious about and not a one of us bothered to acknowledge him. --> so there, that's the reason for the "HUH?"
Pete, the new guy did get a couple responses, not from us local P-cola guys maybe, but responses nonetheless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
I think that puts you in a good position to go riding. You have Osceola N.F East of there and with a permit you have Eglin AFB West of you so there is some variety. Not to mention areas in Alabama and Georgia also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSRocker View Post
Two Hospitals east of the National Forrest and there may be one in St. Joe.

There was a hospital in St. Joe back in 71 it may still be there. My experience there was after riding bare footed , compressing the front shocks,dragging my foot over some total friction attention oyster shells and a fall in the bright white sand, breaking fourteen bones in my foot and tearing my second toe on my right foot (the lazy toe) all but off. I did go to the closest hospital. it was memorial day weekend and the Doctor was drunk.

The Doctor suggested that I allow him to remove the toe, that it would never be any good again anyway. Fuck it. it was my second toe on my right foot and I requested that He sew it back on until I could get back to Tallahassee. He did sew the useless toe back on and who knows it may not be any good but it is the right color.

what is this thread about again?

Plenty of riding, for old gys, yeah plenty

time for a beer
I saw pberguy's post and didn't comment on it because of lack of knowledge about the specific area he was asking about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pberguy View Post
The riding opportunities may be pretty good in the panhandle Apalachicola neighborhood…correct?...comments?

My initial impression is that the east side of Apalachicola N.F. might be a good place to relocate. Small towns next to the forest could provide easy on-road ride into the forest without trailering. And with Tallahassee not too far I could probably find competent doctors and hospitals (I have a seizure disorder and a pacemaker, my wife is recovering from cancer). Is this anywhere near true? Or are there better regions that you could recommend?

Is Apalachicola N.F. actually friendly to off road riders?
And I suspect the other local POGs did the same. Most, but certainly not all, of the guys active on the POG thread live in the western panhandle area, and the east side of ANF is a purt dern long way away from us. The thought occurred to me to suggest pberguy repost his question in the Tallahassee Area Riders thread, where it would no doubt get more play, but then I forgot, because old age and senility are creeping up on me. (Hey, this is the Panhandle Old Guys forum after all)

But hey, he did get a couple valid responses at least.

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #1376
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Oh well. My bad. I guess it just didn't seem like much. Thought there would be some local yokels that would be able to provide some better insight than I - and you're right... the area in question is a bit east of us.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #1377
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

After fruitlessly trying to contact a couple of old guys, I will, must, and should, do an MUI. Watch out Snapper -- HERE we GO!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #1378
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,769
Talking you forgot one reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
It's a great spot! Some of the other guys actually ride bikes out there
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #1379
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
huh?

mug , it pleases me to see your sig on here,ADV
pete all is well just crazy working hours rite now.
ruok?
fbm
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #1380
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Yeah man - I'm fine, thanks. Just been trying to get up with you or Vic before the 18th. Was gonna see if either of you doods would be able to bring something the the campout for me...