User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Oddometer: 285
Roundtrip Barcelona to Gibraltar May 12

I am already behind in my planning, but my father and I are set for a motorcycle ride starting in Spain on 14May. I am going to take the ferry from Naples with my GS arriving on the 13th, and my father is flying in the morning of 14May and renting a GS. We will then have to drop his bike back off in Barcelona at the end of 21May.

My father wants to go to Gibraltar during the trip. The creates the problem that it is very far (almost 800 miles), so I do not think we can avoid a few very long highway days. It looks like the highway along the coast will also have a good sized toll. I do not mind if we skip Gibraltar, and may do that if we come up with a great itinerary for the 8 day trip.

I am writing to ask those places and roads that we have to see and drive. We took the two day GS offroad course together in Munich last year, so light offroad is welcome if it is worth it.

Thank you for any suggestions you have!

Aaron
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Hi Aaron. I cannot help you much about Andalucia, I havn't been there on a bike, but this is a route I know and is so great on a motorcycle. It points you in the good direction.

LINK

From there its more difficult to avoid the plains and therefore the boring routes, better to just pick up a Michelin paper map and follow the panoramic routes marked with green. I myself use the Michelin or AnayaTouring maps. They are the best, IMO.
I would trace a route more or less straight from Cuenca to Granada, trying to use the less straight roads. Once in Granada province the chances to find nice motorbike roads increase x100000000.

On the way to Gibraltar dont miss Ronda. The place is nice and the roads around worth melting your rubber on them.

To download offroad tracks try with WIKILOC.

MICHELIN
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Vander, thank you so much for your help!

I have done so little route planning so far that I am a sponge when it comes to places that I have to see and roads I have to ride.

I got new tires on the GS today, so I am ready for action next month.
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
I am already behind in my planning, but my father and I are set for a motorcycle ride starting in Spain on 14May. I am going to take the ferry from Naples with my GS arriving on the 13th, and my father is flying in the morning of 14May and renting a GS. We will then have to drop his bike back off in Barcelona at the end of 21May.

My father wants to go to Gibraltar during the trip. The creates the problem that it is very far (almost 800 miles), so I do not think we can avoid a few very long highway days. It looks like the highway along the coast will also have a good sized toll. I do not mind if we skip Gibraltar, and may do that if we come up with a great itinerary for the 8 day trip.

I am writing to ask those places and roads that we have to see and drive. We took the two day GS offroad course together in Munich last year, so light offroad is welcome if it is worth it.

Thank you for any suggestions you have!

Aaron
It seems that you have already answered your question. You have seven days of riding but just doing the fastest (and not very interesting) routing on the autopista will burn up four of them.

If you do decide to go to The Rock, don't miss the tour of the WW2 tunnels. Other than that, you can get good fish and chips and beer. It's an interesting little spot that is still very British even though there are a lot of Spanish who either work there or live there.

There is some great riding around Ronda to the north of The Rock, so it wouldn't be a trip totally taken in vain. That said, if I were you I'd try to steer Dad onto the N260 north of Barcelona that goes west nearly to Pamplona. Really nice twisties, but not too challenging, just fun. And/or you could pop over the Pyrenees into France and cruise the foothills. Plenty to do without going too far.

Near Ronda:

[IMG][/IMG]

Near Pamplona:

[IMG][/IMG]

RTLover screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 01:21 PM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Mr.Bikers is not "that" near Pamplona, my friend

LINK
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
Mr.Bikers is not "that" near Pamplona, my friend

LINK
Depends on how fast you ride.

You're right, of course. I should have said 'toward Pamplona' from Barcelona.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Ronda just keeps coming up! We will definitely go there and do some riding around it.

Also looks like some neat prehistoric cave drawings to see near Ronda.