Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
+1

Refreshing to hear someone consider things from another's perspective!
I guess I can do so when I pretty much walked away with a few bruises But, yeah, you can't just crucify the guy when you consider the situation. New town, odd street, thinking you're just driving like you'd normally do. I'm guilty of the same thing in an unfamiliar town! Thinking of by-passing insurance, and asking the guy to just pay for the minor repairs. It's probably less than his deductible, and believe me...he learned his lesson.
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Was the driver from Melbourne perhaps? Weirdest damn thing I've ever seen is drivers there pulling off to the left to make a right turn!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #18
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Was the driver from Melbourne perhaps? Weirdest damn thing I've ever seen is drivers there pulling off to the left to make a right turn!

That's fucked-up.

Melbourne, Virginia? No idea...
'94 DR 350SER
Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
Strog
Geek on two wheels

Oddometer: 389
My brother had a very similar thing happen to him in Cape Cod. Luckily he was in his Jeep Cherokee because the 19 year old girl took the front right off of it when she turned left from the right lane on a 1 way. I'd be short one brother if he was still riding the bike he sold to buy the Jeep recently because she really clobbered him.

It's easy to see how these things went down after the fact. It's good to see that you walked away mostly unscathed and figured out why it happened.

The more we learn about these kinds of situations, the better we can avoid them in the future. I know I'm going to watch the right lane a bit closer for any signs of this sort of thing.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #20
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Kind of same story here.Two lane one way,driver on the right makes left turn across left lane.Grab the brakes and hit the horn.Lady stops and looks.Got to watch out!!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
atpalmer
Broken

Oddometer: 244
I was taken down by a left -turner in the same direction. 1&1/2 years later I'm still in therapy and not walking right. That would be great if you could get a fair payment without going through insurance. As long as you are uninjured.
atpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
tlartist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Same thing

I had a similar thing happen to me. Luckily I was able to keep the bike up. The guy basically lied saying I had hit him. Luckily a trucker saw the whole thing and set the cops straight.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
Trotski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudscrasher View Post
That's fucked-up.

Melbourne, Virginia? No idea...
Melbourne, Victoria AUSTRALIA.

we drive on the left (like the English) in Melbourne they do a "hook turn" on a few streets in the CBD to avoid getting in the way of the Trams (light rail)

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer
Trotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,538
Nothing quite like a street you have to look for a train before switching lanes....
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,101
Damn wud's..glad yer O.K.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Thanks, Rick. Glad I'm OK, too. Went to the Doc due to occasional 'pins-n-needles' shooting up the left side of my left leg (leg the bike fell on). X-rays showed nothing, so just nerve damage that will eventually heal. It took a few days, but now the right fork is leaking oil, probably blew the seal under sudden braking. I've been swamped at work, so I have forgotten to call and check on his insurance for a few days. Last I heard, they couldn't get ahold of him. Damnit...I wanna ride!

edit: Thanks to you who have posted stories of the same thing happening to you/a friend. I admit, I never expected the guy to turn, but I guess it does happen more than I think! Guess I have another mental check to add to my list in that situation...
'94 DR 350SER
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Glad to hear you weren't injured too badly. My last road wreck left me recovering for over a year and looking back...maybe even longer.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
Clemens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Glad to hear you made it through okay more or less. Strangely that's not the first time I've heard of an accident like this. A buddy of mine was on a 2 lane one way street in Pasadena (Hudson Ave.) in the left lane and someone not paying attention made a left turn into a Target parking lot right across his line of travel. He careened off the side of her car and was mostly okay too after sliding a bit and wearing a flat spot in his helmet. Best part is the driver got out of her car and was yelling at him! Pasadena motorcycle cop was first on the scene and let the woman have it.
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #29
SunwardIveClimbed
Wildblueyonderwander

Oddometer: 53
I once lived about 2 blocks from where you were turned in front of. Mason street is also a good one for making a lane change and having the tracks wipe the bike out from under you as you cross at a shallow angle. Never managed that one myself but watched it happen more than once. Thanks for describing your experience. That is one more to add to the mental list I will use when trying to predict unpredictable behaviors.
SunwardIveClimbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #30
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Thanks for the "glad you're OK's" Just got back from the shop after the adjuster cut a check. $1050. Anything that had a scratch on it is being replaced, including bar-ends, windscreen, footpegs, frame sliders...way more than I was going to replace if I had to do it myself! All-in-all, I'm glad it'll be back together soon, and I'm OK. Just sucks not to be able to ride it with this great weather we're having
'94 DR 350SER