Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #61
CraigUK
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wicked I was there too and it's as awesome as it looks here!

I am the Craig mentioned in here and I am so glad to have stumbled on this. So many thanks for posting, and your pics are better than the crap ones I took (though that might have been due to the Raki and Vodka, etc...)!

We did alternate between staying in nice hotels and sleeping literally in sheep droppings freezing in the mountains (nibbling on sheep nuts cooked over a burning tire) as the pics show. This was incredibly hard work, dirty, but the most fun ever. I remember actually riding into Ceyhan on your bike with the whole drive train slipping, soaked in leaking oil, but got there anyhow. Unbelievable trip!

I'm still involved working out in the Caucasus, having just returned from a week out there (my 13th time to Armenia, 14th to Georgia, and 23rd to Azerbaijan I think). Even have a flat in Baku now. Never get tired of that region. Met Thomas out there in Baku in summer 2010 (at an Irish pub of course) when he was planning a 10th anniv trip. That fell thru, but still hoping for another shot at this if he plans something again (as you know, "plan" is a relative thing with Tommy). And my lovely wife (nicked from BP in Azerbaijan!) will be riding along this time.
CraigUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #62
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 520
Another great story Suqsuda

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #63
Suqsuda OP
Secret Sharer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
I am the Craig mentioned in here and I am so glad to have stumbled on this. So many thanks for posting, and your pics are better than the crap ones I took (though that might have been due to the Raki and Vodka, etc...)!.
Hi Craig, great to hear from you! I too have been hoping for a reunion ride and have bugged Tom about it over the years. I thought it would be cool to do a circum-Caspian ride, or part of one, south and then east along the shore in Iran, then up through Turkmenistan and take the ferry back to Baku. But I have no Idea whether this is possible. Hope to see you on a ride in the future.

p.s. -- Please feel free to post some of your photos of the ride to this thread, I'd love to see them.
Suqsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #64
bokad
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Just found this RR. Glad I did. Read it beginning to end in one sit. A real unique adventure!
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote