Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #331
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
I remember sorta liking those when they came out with the ZRX1100, but there were too many other things that I liked more. Still a cool bike IMO.

In fact I saw one today while riding the mountains of N. GA, and it reminded me that they looked like they could be a cool bike to ride. The time is probably right by now to be able to get a good deal on a used one. Might have to start keeping an eye out...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #332
jonny2g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I remember sorta liking those when they came out with the ZRX1100, but there were too many other things that I liked more. Still a cool bike IMO.

In fact I saw one today while riding the mountains of N. GA, and it reminded me that they looked like they could be a cool bike to ride. The time is probably right by now to be able to get a good deal on a used one. Might have to start keeping an eye out...

Yep, did see one listed here under bikes for sale. His looked to be in better shape than mine, and he wanted @ $3k. Not bad $ for a fast bike.
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #333
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2g View Post
Yep, did see one listed here under bikes for sale. His looked to be in better shape than mine, and he wanted @ $3k. Not bad $ for a fast bike.

They aren't that fast in the grand scheme of things.

I have noticed over time to beware the more mature gentlemen that seem to gravitate to the the Z-rexs though. I know three or four former professional racers .....most in their mid-late 50s....that ride the shit out of their ZRXs. When they decide to wick it up a bit you better have your balls screwed on right, because they are getting somewhere, and they are going to get there very quickly.

They are cool bikes really, the last throwback to the original superbikes.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #334
jonny2g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
They aren't that fast in the grand scheme of things.

I have noticed over time to beware the more mature gentlemen that seem to gravitate to the the Z-rexs though. I know three or four former professional racers .....most in their mid-late 50s....that ride the shit out of their ZRXs. When they decide to wick it up a bit you better have your balls screwed on right, because they are getting somewhere, and they are going to get there very quickly.

They are cool bikes really, the last throwback to the original superbikes.

Ive put a couple hundred mi on this one, and yes Im prob old but its pleanty fast. Its almost boring, crusing along at 70mph and dont really even need to down shift to pass.
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #335
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
I chased an 1100 around in the Rockies, my friend was surprised that my little Ninja 650R would easily keep up with it. They are cool, but heavy. I've heard that it is pretty easy to open them up and get a lot of power.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #336
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
They are heavy beasts, and they are pretty corked up from the factory. The beauty is in the torque. IIRC the 1100 was in the 80 ft lb range, and the 1200 was 90+. Both of those numbers were easily boosted. My 1100 was mildly modded with an Ivan's pod kit and a mild pipe, and would absolutly rip the snot outta middle weight sport bikes in 4th or 5th gear roll on. I didn't tangle with liter bikes - the old Rex was no match.
Burleson, Texas

pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #337
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I chased an 1100 around in the Rockies, my friend was surprised that my little Ninja 650R would easily keep up with it. They are cool, but heavy. I've heard that it is pretty easy to open them up and get a lot of power.
Dunno about that, I've seen a couple guys that couple make a Z-Rex shit and git.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #338
JasonStern
Winterize Bike? Wat?

Oddometer: 12

mine with my $6 "corbin" seat.
JasonStern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #339
Dragwn
Pavement Slacker

Oddometer: 103
Howdy to all the OA guys here

Here is a recent pic of my Rex, clean for once even. C10's "custom built" header, Kerker can, zx-11 cams, pods, stick coils, braced swinger, fork brace, 1.1 front springs, overpriced japanese headlight mod. 17/47 gearing

Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #340
GOSTAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I've had one for 5 years. Have not put that many miles on it. Bought it with 1800 on it, and it will pop 20k this coming weekend. They are heavy, they are NOT sportbikes. They have a butt-ton of torque, and it you mod them gently? They will run for a long time. They can fall victim to oil starvation, so you might consider a tip-over kill switch. I tend to not let mine idle for long on the kickstand.

Mine? I will keep it until it blows up or I quit riding. I am 46, so I guess I fit the demographic for this bike. Whatever, even if it wasn't a tribute bike? It's a nice standard with a big motor, and the ergo's can be tweaked to make my 6'2 frame happy. I can plop my girlfriend on the back and still be comfy. I wish that you could still get a naked bike with a big motor and no fuel injection, but that ain't happening, so I am hanging on to this one.

Mine is my daily driver until the DRZ is finished. Riding my commute on a 1200 is just a waste, I never get out of third gear. Check out the folks at ZRXOA if you need advice. The cool guys there taught me a lot about my bike, and saved me from stupidity more than once.

Have fun with it! Mine has never failed to make me smile. Of the bikes that I have owned? The most reliable, the easiest to work on and the biggest "trunk". Two thumbs way up.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #341
Dragwn
Pavement Slacker

Oddometer: 103
Official ZRX thread

One of the local OA Hoolies came over yesterday to return my spare rear wheel and tire and bring me a spare front.

Went over my rex to fix some small problems, and some that would have become nasty problems, like the swingarm pivot bolt being loose. The rex is much happier now, going to ride tomorrow night and see just how happy.

Sent from my CrackBerry using Tapatalk

Dragwn screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 09:06 PM
Dragwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #342
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Laugh My 2003

Crappy cell phone pic of my 2003 after purchase. I like it !!!!

merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #343
Gren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
This was mine sold it back last year great bike once a few bits are sorted (ie the seat, replaced with a Sargent) and a few other bits n bobs....

Keep it simple.......stupid..!!

Gren screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 08:04 AM
Gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #344
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Gren,

I would like to know more about the bits n bobs that you added or changed please. I haven't seen a fame brace like that.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #345
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc16 View Post
Crappy cell phone pic of my 2003 after purchase. I like it !!!!

Nice! I wanted a Blue 1200 when I bought my 99 but couldnt find one. Now I have one.