Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #76
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
TE 630 - Wide ratio 6 spd, decent power, fuel injected, higher end components & suspension. Not as high strung maintenance wise as the smaller KTM/Husky/Berg's but I also do not think that I am back in the 90's like I do when riding a KLR/DR/XRL 650.

TXC 449 - Same dealer I got the 630 from was blowing them out at a price that I was able to sell my 3 year old KTM 530 with 400 hours on it and buy a brand new bike without a carb. So far it feels like a win but I do not have a whole bunch of seat time on it.

jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #77
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
My perfect Thumper.....

Finally got it plated after 4 years of hanging on to it. Just installed the Desert tank, waiting for the petcocks to show up. 245lbs with 60-65 HP. Should be decent on the street, I've had it in the hills, it will go anywhere, many more places than my skill set will allow. Can't wait to go exploring on it. At least I can pick it up. Sometimes I can't get the 990 back on it's feet without a hand. Not that kind of hand. You know what I mean! Does anybody know how to put a kickstand on this thing?

4corners14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #78
go gonzo
The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Stop breathing the LA SMOG its making you delusional
Not the smog, the Palomas.

2 oz tequila blanco (silver)
Juice of half a lime
3 oz grapefruit juice*
3 oz soda water*
pinch salt
Lime wedge, for garnish

*You can substitute these two ingredients for Squirt Soda.
go gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #79
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Well OK, then.
I use this beemer to pester the local flock of 690 enduristas, all running the same old orangetans.

It's pretty heavily customised and exactly tuned for me, by me - and that's why it's the perfect one. I call it the Xchallenge R.

That Thar is a down right sexy beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
There ain't a perfect thumper..........................so I have 2 here in the UK

This

and also this

The Xchallenge is a fantastic bike, good fuelling/good power/pretty good chassis/crap seat, but good ergos -perfect for riding to and from the trails or longer trips

I have the XR250R for deep winter trailriding in snow or on tight single track or woods, where lightness is your friend. It has adequate power and a great trailriding chassis

So there you have it
Nice choices

Thanks for the added Beems - especially the Challenges. Id have to say that to date those are my fav of the Beem line - the 450X was nice, always wanted to ride one. Too bad they only made the 6fitty for a short time. My riding buddy picked one up for a song and I was able to put some miles on it on one of our rides. It really changed my perception on BMW - I really really enjoyed that bike. It was one of my considerations when I went shopping for a new steed - but when they stopped making them, I kinda lost that love. It didnt change the feeling I have about them - but felt that they swept it under the rug and turned their back on a great bike. I wouldnt hesitate to pick up one for a great deal if it crossed my path thou - Would have to have some rear pegs (like my 690R) to bring my wife along for some adventures

I am really impressed with the response to this thread - couldnt ask for a better bunch of bike choices. Keep em coming
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #80
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
That Thar is a down right sexy beast

Nice choices

Thanks for the added Beems - especially the Challenges. Id have to say that to date those are my fav of the Beem line - the 450X was nice, always wanted to ride one. Too bad they only made the 6fitty for a short time. My riding buddy picked one up for a song and I was able to put some miles on it on one of our rides. It really changed my perception on BMW - I really really enjoyed that bike. It was one of my considerations when I went shopping for a new steed - but when they stopped making them, I kinda lost that love. It didnt change the feeling I have about them - but felt that they swept it under the rug and turned their back on a great bike. I wouldnt hesitate to pick up one for a great deal if it crossed my path thou - Would have to have some rear pegs (like my 690R) to bring my wife along for some adventures

I am really impressed with the response to this thread - couldnt ask for a better bunch of bike choices. Keep em coming
The single year of production in 2007, hasn't put me off and other bikes have come along since 2007 (KTM 690e)

BMW will support for over 20 years and there are plenty of work arounds, the 690e came later and has more power, for a similar weight but what it loses perhaps is 'perceived' longevity and overall reliability in some quarters

For me the XChallenge does a fine job

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #81
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Quote:
The single year of production in 2007, hasn't put me off and other bikes have come along since 2007 (KTM 690e)

BMW will support for over 20 years and there are plenty of work arounds, the 690e came later and has more power, for a similar weight but what it loses perhaps is 'perceived' longevity and overall reliability in some quarters

For me the XChallenge does a fine job
Good to know and it does add an incentive for looking for one. Of course I bought a 690R to tide me over - but at least I get to ride one once in awhile.

I do find the 2 bikes very compareable - but the KTM excels in more areas for me.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #82
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
PCV - I just sold my 99 e as well as my Vmax to step up to this new 500. So for me this is almost perfect. Time will tell. No oil in the frame so oil change is a snap . It has a lot of changes I wanted in my old bike - it's a real simple clean thumper. EFI is interesting - can't pin it like I did with the LC4 and it has a real mx feeling. Set it up depending on you needs and you're good to go.

I dream about riding in NCA ( we went to San Fran/Yosemite last summer) . If I ever make it out with the KTM can ya show me around?
While that's a mighty purdy moto you've got there, your post is less than helpful. "Why's that," you wonder?

Because you're yacking "inside the katoom" speak. WTF bike is that?

Everybody, please, realize that a whole lot of folks (or at least one, me) reading this thread to learn about the different bikes haven't been immersed in the adv/ds/dirtbike worlds. Be specific in identifying your bike. Make, year, and especially model.

Your consideration of this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #83
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Stop breathing the LA SMOG its making you delusional
With all the Beemer threads - Im surprised more of those enthusiasts arent stepping up. Please add fellas - we like your bikes too. And for those Beem guys that have added - still waiting for pics (only really have the one crazy dude showing us how to wheelie a challenge)
This thread is about the perfect THUMPER. As good as the X bikes may be, there aren't a whole lot of them out there, and the rest of the Beemers are excluded by virtue of an excess of pistons. Although I would like to hear more about the 450X
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #84
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Good to know and it does add an incentive for looking for one. Of course I bought a 690R to tide me over - but at least I get to ride one once in awhile.

I do find the 2 bikes very compareable - but the KTM excels in more areas for me.

Nice 690

They are similar ( KTM copied BMW - lol)
KTM has more power & suspension, but costs a whole lot more & the XCHALLENGE is cheaper & still has a certain charm about it

Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #85
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
While that's a mighty purdy moto you've got there, your post is less than helpful. "Why's that," you wonder?

Because you're yacking "inside the katoom" speak. WTF bike is that?

Everybody, please, realize that a whole lot of folks (or at least one, me) reading this thread to learn about the different bikes haven't been immersed in the adv/ds/dirtbike worlds. Be specific in identifying your bike. Make, year, and especially model.

Your consideration of this matter will be greatly appreciated.

That Bike is the super new and exciting KTM 500 EXC. Its based off the old 520/525/530 platform - added Fuel injection - better suspenders - and a few other doodads. It essentially makes it into a bike like no other - unfair to even compare it to the 530 EXC's from a year earlier. Yes - its that good
Quote:
This thread is about the perfect THUMPER. As good as the X bikes may be, there aren't a whole lot of them out there, and the rest of the Beemers are excluded by virtue of an excess of pistons. Although I would like to hear more about the 450X
I too would love to hear more on the BMW 450X's. They sounded very promising right off the bat - but then you never heard much about them
Quote:
Nice 690

They are similar ( KTM copied BMW - lol)
KTM has more power & suspension, but costs a whole lot more & the XCHALLENGE is cheaper & still has a certain charm about it
KTM copied BMW

Thank you - needed that little pick me up today

No - really - they are a very nice bike that I wouldnt mind owning one day when you sell yours ridiculously cheap to me
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #86
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
KTM copied BMW

Thank you - needed that little pick me up today

No - really - they are a very nice bike that I wouldnt mind owning one day when you sell yours ridiculously cheap to me
I did put......................lol

Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #87
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
When exactly did they stop putting seats on motorcycles, and who thought this was a good idea?

Quote:

Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #88
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:

There are a few BMW singles out there. F650, G650, 650 Dakar, 650 Sertao
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #89
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
[QUOTE]
I too would love to hear more on the BMW 450X's. They sounded very promising right off the bat - but then you never heard much about them [QUOTE]

Husqvarna currently produces the new "G450X" it's called the TE449. A very sweet ride.

Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #90
T Stretch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
My perfect thumper: 2011 Husaberg FE570

I really like my 2011 Husaberg 570 for the following reasons:

1. My top priority was having a light weight big bore thumper that could perform on the trail and not wear me out like a larger bike. The dry weight only 251lbs. The central mass of the Husaberg 70 degree engine helps improve the handling and rides like a lighter bike. Alot of 650cc class bikes are in the 350-400+ pound class. I almost forgot to mention the 15 inches of ground clearance.
2. I wanted a big enough engine that had the power to cruise all day long on the freeway at 70-75mph. With 569cc and approximately 60hp with the Akrapovic muffler this is no problem. The stock gearing is great.
3. With the Rick Mayer custom seat I can ride all day long in comfort.
4. Even though there are not alot of after market products for luggage there are enough choices to make it work. Currently I have the Giant Loop Fandango tank bag and the Giant Loop Mojave saddle bags (not shown).
5. Current add-ons for Adv riding include heated grips, power outlets for GPS navigation, and a radiator fan.

Downside:
1. The manual calls for 15 hour service intervals with the values checked every 30 hours. I can easily ride 15 hours in a week or two. This is getting expensive at this point as I want to keep the warranty in tack during the first 6 months that I have a warranty. So far long term reports on the bike have been very good with no real issues.
2. The bike was designed with a plastic subframe which limits the ability to install rear racks on the bike and store luggage.

T Stretch screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 09:53 PM Reason: Edit
T Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote