Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #46
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I wonder how many Hero cam crashes we'll see these days since they are getting so popular...

And to the people who say this kind of video makes them reconsider riding at all, i say slow down.

I did, I trail ride now, toddling along at 10-12 mph, and if I crash it's usually at 3mph. I just have a wimpy little WR250R and i gave up the bigger bikes because they like to whisper "twist it, feel that power!"...

Speed hurts, it just does. Nature never intended for us to go much faster than a brisk jog or a quick sprint to catch some prey.

Quick healing my friend...
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #47
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Ouch, finally saw the video, most of them don't show up on Tapatalk. Update us on his condition if you can.

I had to Google FOAF, that was a new one on me.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #48
AZchris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Holy crap, thats nuts!!!!
1979 Vespa--------Left her in South Africa, fun little bike.
1982 CX500-------Crashed, but great first bike
AZchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #49
EagleTalons
XT350

Oddometer: 10
I normally don't squirm when I watch crash videos, but oh my god! That looked terrible! Wish him a speedy recovery.
EagleTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #50
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
I don't think it has to be as slow as 10 to 12 mph.
After my last crash I got a tw200, so instead of 70 mph I can do 45 mph with the same level of thrills.
And everyone knows when they are pushing their limits, or should know...

Oddly, my last crash was at about 10 or 15 mph and i got the helicopter ride to the hospital and a nice vacation.
Its more to do with what you hit on how heavy of a bike, then speed.
I can't say I ever crashed when going real fast and pushing it, its mostly going slow in thick sand, but there are no rocks or cliff's around here...
You CAN go slow in thick sand on a TW200, but its still a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
I wonder how many Hero cam crashes we'll see these days since they are getting so popular...

And to the people who say this kind of video makes them reconsider riding at all, i say slow down.

I did, I trail ride now, toddling along at 10-12 mph, and if I crash it's usually at 3mph. I just have a wimpy little WR250R and i gave up the bigger bikes because they like to whisper "twist it, feel that power!"...

Speed hurts, it just does. Nature never intended for us to go much faster than a brisk jog or a quick sprint to catch some prey.

Quick healing my friend...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #51
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Holy crap. Most crash videos I can watch over and over, but this one I only needed to watch once and that will be enough. The image of him flying sideways through the air and landing on the rock just made my whole body squirm. I wish him a speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #52
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
CRaaaaaaaP! Ouch! Hope he heals up quickly! When he gets back on a bike, hoping he starts riding within his abilities... He was clearly going too fast through this section!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #53
baglien
Trail Master

Oddometer: 156
That huge rock came out of no where!
baglien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #54
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,836

Holy crap!! Heal up, rider.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #55
snarf
WFO and clueless

Oddometer: 662
Aww snap... that was NUTS! Best wishes to your buddy! Hope he heals up fast!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #56
Colorado Col Rider
Wee Stromming Now

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unca Fud View Post
Classic control reversal of a panic stricken rider. Notice how at the end, in a moment of confusion, he effectively steers the handlebars away from the big rock, which causes it to "suck" him directly into it.
WTF, Lol. No I didn't see that. I saw some going too fast and then a lot of shitty luck! Gonna have to look out for those large rocks that have their own special gravity to suck people in, if they're not countersteering correctly! Especially the one that sucked him right out of the sky into it! Poor guy needed wings not countersteering!

In all seriousness that sucks, not laughing at the misfortune of the rider... what shitty shitty luck. Hope you feel better, and don't toss the video, 10 years from now it will be a hit!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #57
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Col Rider View Post
WTF, Lol. No I didn't see that. I saw some going too fast and then a lot of shitty luck! Gonna have to look out for those large rocks that have their own special gravity to suck people in, if they're not countersteering correctly! Especially the one that sucked him right out of the sky into it! Poor guy needed wings not countersteering!

In all seriousness that sucks, not laughing at the misfortune of the rider... what shitty shitty luck. Hope you feel better, and don't toss the video, 10 years from now it will be a hit!
I also think counter steering had nothing to do with it, dirt bikes on uneven terrain are completely different than a street bike. Especially since in many situations you are steering and using wheel spin to turn, even at high speeds.. To me it looked like the big rock was hidden behind some scrub and he was just trying to get back on the trail and got unlucky.

My question is did his arms break on the bars when he hit the first rock or when he hit the ground? Maybe if I saw the rock I'd think differently but I'm surprised he didn't scorpion over the bars. Shit luck man, heal well, but at least your spine and head are still in working order.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #58
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unca Fud View Post
Classic control reversal of a panic stricken rider. Notice how at the end, in a moment of confusion, he effectively steers the handlebars away from the big rock, which causes it to "suck" him directly into it.
Go through the vid frame by frame, just before he hits the big rock -- I guess you didn't see the 2 smaller rocks right where he went off the trail. He hit the first one (you can hear him say 'whoa') and was along for the ride after this. There was no recovery and he wasn't sucked into anything. He was thrown into the big rock... then bounced over it into the second rock on the other side of the trail..

Hope he heals up fast.

JDK111 screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 10:23 PM
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #59
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Eeeeeek. Hope he heels quickly and rides slowly.
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #60
Bobblehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Ouch. The sound was the worst.

I don't know the rider, but I think he might have made the simple mistake of trying to keep up with the rider ahead of him rather than riding the trail at a speed that suited his skills. I think we've all been there at some point.

Pretty shitty luck that the rock was right there, but then again, the first frame of the video seems to have some foreshadowing.

I wish him an effective recovery, because I don't think it will be speedy. . . . .