Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #2686
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherearewe? View Post
the engine turns over yea but im also having issues kick starting. not sure why.... ive removed the carby for a good cleanout as this was overdue anyway, so as my shed is lacking decent lighting im going to put it back in when day breaks and see how i go.
cheers
Could be the autodecompressor lobe is worn. I went through the same thing and I did everything you've done ie: electrical/carb/choke, or are thinking about doing to fix it. Starter wouldn't fire it and kickstarter eventually didn't help either.

Note that the autodecomp is a complete different thing than the manual.

Erik
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #2687
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
you had to have done something wrong. you should never have to loosen that many turns to adjust the valves.

you need to go back in and try again. don't worry. it took me a couple tries the first time i adjusted mine. once you get it though, you will never have issues again.

to find TDC-C the trick i do is;

1) watch intake valves while turning the rear wheel. once the intake valves compress and begin to release, you know you are on the compression stroke.

2) remove plug (if you haven't already) and get a plastic drink straw. lower this into cylinder, then turn wheel again. you will see the straw rising into the air as the piston rises in the cylinder. stop when its at it's highest

3) double check by using the sight glass on the right side of the engine. you will see a timing mark inside the little sight glass if you are at the right spot. adjust as needed with the rear wheel.

4) check and make sure you can "wiggle" the rocker arms and no pressure is being placed on them. if you can't, you have done something wrong and need to go back to step 1.

now you can measure your gap. some people use the crank locking bolt at this point to keep the engine from turning. if you are changing your oil this is cool, if not you cant access it easily. just make sure you check to see that the timing mark is still good after, and before each adjustment.

take your time, double check everything. you will figure it out.

laramie
Thanks a lot, Laramie.
I had already followed that procedure you suggest, but after trying again the result is still the same, tapping noise from the valves/elephants feet. Could it be de auto decomp kicks slightly in, therefore causing a false read?
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #2688
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
oh and if i try to jump start from a car am i right in thinking to not have the car running and connect the neutral to the bikes frame? is this safe? dont want to risk anything here....
Correct.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #2689
wherearewe?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
well, after cleaning out the carb i managed to kick her into life, and running fine. even after a while after shutting down the e starter turned it over but very weak. now after a ride its back to clicking..... gotta be a short somewhere.. but yet to find it.
thanks for the help tho ill let you know the seed of this annoying problem once i find it!

cheers
wherearewe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #2690
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Has anyone ever removed the passenger pegs? Mine have tried to kill me a couple times, and they look fairly integral to the subframe of the 640A. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #2691
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpacman13 View Post
Has anyone ever removed the passenger pegs? Mine have tried to kill me a couple times, and they look fairly integral to the subframe of the 640A. Any input is appreciated.
nearly the first thing I did when I bought the bike 3 years ago. (removed pegs and brackets). No problems, but I did get the sub frame strengthened about two years ago.

I never thought they were integral to the subframe myself. (But my wife says I don't think a lot )

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #2692
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
I removed mine, since I dont like passengers and my box frames needed to be bent to work with them on. Its been over a year with no issues. Mine just hangs off the subframe and doesnt support anything.
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #2693
greendog75
running short wheel base

Oddometer: 38
KTM 625 or 640 Steering Damper

Has anbody got a under the bar steering damper and mount they want to offload for a 625 SXC or adventure? I'm running a large tank and a over the bar mount seems to get in the way of the cap.

Thanks

Greendog
greendog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #2694
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,153
Quote:
I too don't think they're necessary, the 3 pieces my subframe was in when I got home from my last trip had nothing to do with them, however they do make great tiedown points for my panniers
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #2695
wherearewe?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
ok, just to let yall know. i pulled out the starter today and brushes are finished. starter case had debri inside so tomorrow ill organise a temp solution for newies.
choke cable also dislodged/ busted hence the tricky kick start as she seems to like a wee bit of choke in the morning..
gone through all the wiring now and tidied up so fingers crossed i will be ready for a decent ride soon.

cheers all.

steve
wherearewe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #2696
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
ok, just to let yall know. i pulled out the starter today and brushes are finished. starter case had debri inside so tomorrow ill organise a temp solution for newies.
choke cable also dislodged/ busted hence the tricky kick start as she seems to like a wee bit of choke in the morning..
gone through all the wiring now and tidied up so fingers crossed i will be ready for a decent ride soon.

cheers all.

steve
Contact Rick's Electric, they carry alot more than just the new motor and brush plate that they show on a search!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #2697
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:

cheers all.

steve
I had the local auto electrician measure up my old starter brushes & they found & fitted some car ones that were the same size. They are still going strong 50K km later.

Great to see someone selling new starter motors & parts for the LC4 online though, do Ricks ship internationally?

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #2698
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
I had the local auto electrician measure up my old starter brushes & they found & fitted some car ones that were the same size. They are still going strong 50K km later.

Great to see someone selling new starter motors & parts for the LC4 online though, do Ricks ship internationally?

Cheers
Clint
They are a top notch dealer with great customer service, I would think they would shipp all over ,but I dont know for sure
Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #2699
Motorrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Does anyone know... on the dash of a adventure. what makes the light for the indicators (turn signals, low fuel light, etc).. if its LED or a filiment bulb,,,,,

also..

the FI light... anyone know where the corisponding plug is on the wire harness that isnt used?

Im looking to tap into it, and use it as a charging system monitor .. and utilize the FI light in the dash...

http://www.planet-equipment.com/ chargealert
Motorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #2700
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrad View Post
Does anyone know... on the dash of a adventure. what makes the light for the indicators (turn signals, low fuel light, etc).. if its LED or a filiment bulb,,,,,

also..

the FI light... anyone know where the corisponding plug is on the wire harness that isnt used?

Im looking to tap into it, and use it as a charging system monitor .. and utilize the FI light in the dash...

http://www.planet-equipment.com/ chargealert
Well, first tell us what you got, so you get the right answers!

On my '99 the indicators are filiment bulbs that are soldered to pins and the vibrations break the solder, which is why I just converted mine to LEDs. Simple job, but havent looked into why the turnsignal indicator only works with the left turns and not the rights?! Thinking reverse polarity, but not sure yet.

FI as in Fuel Injection??? Is any LC4 Adventure fuel injected??