Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #331
Tworide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeItLoud View Post
Thanks a lot Joe. I appreciate your comment on the front fender rack, It wont get anything more than a sleeping bag or maybe groceries for the day. It is very solid, but like you say, bad things can happen.
LikeItLoud
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up!
I just found your thread on the VXA, I've had a VX in the stable for 14 years. It's truly a UJM. You can turn it into what ever niche you want. I've always thought that it could be a poor mans R80GS with the right bits.
One small thing you might consider for the VXA is to change the two separate top pieces of the handle bar clamps for the one piece clamp from a '92-'93 VX. As the clamps are rubber mounted in the top triple clamp, they can allow the bar to twist in the clamps in opposite directions, specially if the bike is tipped. Leaving you with a wonky angled bar.
The one piece clamp stops that.

I've had friends that have run the Haul Road to Prudhoe. It's a 830 mile long paint shaker. Most have had some sort of baggage rack problems or cracked sub frames. (found after they got back home) It will test your engineering. Make sure you Loctite all your mounting hardware, or you'll be leaving a trail for Hansel N Gretel. When you see trucks coming the other way on that road, it's best to pull over and duck down. They can throw some gravel!
Good luck on your ride!
GT
'90 NS50 "Gritz Bomb 2"
'92 VX800 "Wuzzat?"
"98 DR350SE "Cushy Ride"

Tworide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #332
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
Advice taken

Thanks a lot for the advice Tworide, I was not aware of the rubber mounted one piece top clam on the newer version, I will look into that right away. It is suggestions like that, that has helped make this a better machine. Most appreciated.

LikeItLoud
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing day I GROW older, I refuse to grow up!
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #333
Tworide
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeItLoud View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice Tworide, I was not aware of the rubber mounted one piece top clam on the newer version, I will look into that right away. It is suggestions like that, that has helped make this a better machine. Most appreciated.
LikeItLoud
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing day I GROW older, I refuse to grow up!
I guess my explanation was a bit confusing. The VX handlebar clamps are mounted in rubber bushings where they bolt to the top triple clamp. The change in the handlebar clamp caps was made in '92, going from two individual caps, to a one piece clamp cap, that ties the two clamps together, preventing the clamps from slipping on the bars in different directions..
Item 18 was used from '92, item 17 is what you have now. Just to confuse things, this fische doesn't show the rubber bushings on the handle bar clamps used in the US spec VXs.
If you haven't used them before, http://vx800.net, http://vx800forum.com and http://wo105.mcf.com/mailman/listinfo/vx800-l are good resources for the VX.
Attached Images

'90 NS50 "Gritz Bomb 2"
'92 VX800 "Wuzzat?"
"98 DR350SE "Cushy Ride"

Tworide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #334
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworide View Post
I guess my explanation was a bit confusing. The VX handlebar clamps are mounted in rubber bushings where they bolt to the top triple clamp. The change in the handlebar clamp caps was made in '92, going from two individual caps, to a one piece clamp cap, that ties the two clamps together, preventing the clamps from slipping on the bars in different directions..
Item 18 was used from '92, item 17 is what you have now. Just to confuse things, this fische doesn't show the rubber bushings on the handle bar clamps used in the US spec VXs.
If you haven't used them before, http://vx800.net, http://vx800forum.com and http://wo105.mcf.com/mailman/listinfo/vx800-l are good resources for the VX.

Got it, thank you, and thank you for all the VX pics, It will take me 2 months to look at all these VX machines. I may have to get another VX so I can copy some of the things done to these.

LikeItLoud
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing day I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #335
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

VXA Ready to go.

Not much going on here, the VXA is ready for Prudhoe Bay. Thought I better add a new intery, It was getting near the bottom of the second page. All suggestions, recommendations and ideas have been greatly appreciated, thanks a lot guys. I am still excepting any and all input from anyone that has something they would like to share.

LikeItLoud
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing day I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #336
LuckyDog
Adventurer

I've owned FIVE '93 VX800's!

Yes, great bikes.. I've owned and ridden five 1993 VX800's over 150,000 miles.. Dad has owned a couple and my sister had one.. we still have one running in the family that we keep selling to one another.. I have a parts bike and a bunch of extra parts I'll sell to the VX800 list one of these days..
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #337
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
I finally got the Tiger finished. I will post pics in the next couple of days. Don't forget you got a place to stay in Anchorage. Don't let your son puss out at the last minute!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #338
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Well here she is and adventure ready!!!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #339
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Tiger

The Tiger looks great Unc.

LikeItLoud
Old 04-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #340
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Vxa

I finally got some progressive springs for the rear, I knew they would make a big difference, but they by far exceeded my expatiation. They are about 1.5in longer than what I had, however when setting on the bike it is now about 1in lower and the spring action is much stiffer, It improved the ride more than I would have be-leaved. And the price was almost perfect, got them on Ebay for $12 and free shipping. New in the box. I'll get a picture of them up here soon.

LikeItLoud
-------------------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing day I grow older, I refuse to grow up!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #341
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

That bike is really coming together. Hoping to see you later this year. I have to gone on an extended vacation in Sept-Nov time frame. Good news is my extended vacations are 9 months now instead of a year. Good luck and hope ya'll get that trip to Alaska this year.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #342
cncjato
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 69
Mag I would like to know about the front fender on the strom. I want to do something to mine but have not seen one I liked until yours. I hope that you are able to get on with your ride.
Thank you for your service Guys like you defend our freedoms.

Gary
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #343
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Gary, I got it from Touratech. Here is a link: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...000-up-to-2011
Thanks for the note,
Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncjato View Post
Mag I would like to know about the front fender on the strom. I want to do something to mine but have not seen one I liked until yours. I hope that you are able to get on with your ride.
Thank you for your service Guys like you defend our freedoms.

Gary
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #344
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Eh? What happened?

Here it is October and winter has set in up here in Alaska.
Did your trip work out?

I bought another VX last month just because I like the bike. And one became available...
Run as good as I remember and is just as lousy on dirt roads as I remember too.
Suspension changes will be a first priority...
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #345
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Jag I am in Contact with Magneto and Scottinmissouri. They weren't able to make it up this year, but hoping next year. Both are military in Missouri.