Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #3091
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
I would think it would hold threads. There are no open sections of the main spars that I can see but all the major frame parts that are welded on that I can tell are at least 2.4mm thick which will give you 2.+ threads. If that bar is not too load bearing, which i doubt it would be I think you'd be fine. And if it failed, I don't think it would be terminal for the frame and you could then weld a nut on that'll do the trick.

However, it wouldn't be hard for someone to get in there and weld something on. I'm sure if you made a stop you could find someone close by that could do it for you for not too much dough.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #3092
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Here are the pics. The cross pieces are just for mock up. Should I just drill two 6mm holes and tap them?

Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #3093
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
I think what I would do is look at welding a couple of pieces on top of your proposed bracket that go to the existing holes. I'm not sure how thick the frame is, but I wouldn't trust it to hold threads. Either weld or machine something that's shaped to go up to the pre-tapped holes and still drop down to hold the bracket.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #3094
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,319
don't want to hi-jack your thread but....i have a very nice set of kayaba 48mm forks off a wr450f for sale. fully tuned with race tech gold valves, new springs, fork bleeders, everything you need. plus i will throw in the bottom triple clamp and stem for one of you guys.

just thought i'd offer.

pretty sure i still have the entire front brake assembly as well...

thanks,

laramie

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #3095
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298
Them's pretty!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #3096
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,475
Since everyone's posting stuff they're selling in here...

My whole bike is for sale. It's got the TT-WP forks/shock on it. Make me an offer.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780154

Cheers
Brett
Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #3097
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelberhase View Post
Damn, I should've known better

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Have it sent to Denmark or Sweden then.
Yeah, was thinking about the option of having them shipped "poste restante" to the nearest Swedish town.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #3098
dakarchef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
A new look, and ride.
Last year I went through three sets of D606's. This year in going to be travelling more miles on pavement so I decided to dig out a set of 17's with avon roadmasters I picked up a few years ago but never mounted. Found some rotors on ebay and mounted them on the bike yesterday. The 17/21 combo gets new skins and will be used for d/s rides. As someone else once said, "the bike handles like it is on hockey skates". I'm still getting used to the way it corners, even at low speeds. Its strange not hearing the lugs on pavement now and I really have to watch my speed as the bike just feels like it wants to go faster.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #3099
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Stablizer mod

Ok here is what the final thing will look like. I cut the cross bar that will be used but have to wait a few weeks for my buddy to weld it. Thas fine since my hyper pro shock needs a rebuild now any ways.

So You must have the yz forks and a scotts or BRP sub mount( that means you cant use the stock yz top clamp, it must have removable risers. . Then you need the Lower sub mount stem kit off a 2010 yz 250F. The mounts over the stem and uses a new lower stem nut. The mount has a bearing in it.

Here the the mount. dont mine the crap under it. That was just for mocking up.

Here is a 1 inch by 1/4 piece of steel that will be welded. You must leave room on the sides for the little black cover. BTW you have to trim the front and center of it cause the tab on the mount goes through it at the very end.

You also have the trim the body work a bit. The last part is to grind a little bit down on the stabilizer arm. it hits the body work as well.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #3100
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

I wanted a street set up as well. I have an 18 and 21 for diet. I have my old stock 17 rear and a YZ flatck track rim that is 19 x 2.15 for the front. Thats going to be a great set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarchef View Post
A new look, and ride.
Last year I went through three sets of D606's. This year in going to be travelling more miles on pavement so I decided to dig out a set of 17's with avon roadmasters I picked up a few years ago but never mounted. Found some rotors on ebay and mounted them on the bike yesterday. The 17/21 combo gets new skins and will be used for d/s rides. As someone else once said, "the bike handles like it is on hockey skates". I'm still getting used to the way it corners, even at low speeds. Its strange not hearing the lugs on pavement now and I really have to watch my speed as the bike just feels like it wants to go faster.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #3101
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Does anyone know the stock rear spring rate on the Dakar? I don't think my hyperpro has a stiff enough rear spring.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #3102
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Hawk Engineering Conversion Kit

I've decided that I am not really going to be doing any single track anytime soon, or any other hardcore riding for that matter. I have a conversion kit for sale, never installed. $500 shipped.

slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #3103
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Hyper pro rear shock.

Here is some interesting info about the rear shock.

I had to send mine back cause the preload adjuster started to leak.

My bike cycles 10 inches in the rear with the longer shock. Thats full droop to the tire hitting the under plastic ( it rubs a little bottomed out due to the 18 inch rear wheel with the mich dez tire). With no shock on the swing arm can drop another 1.25 inches. You could get an extra inch in there but I think the shock will be hitting the swing arm by then. On the up travel you could maybe get another inch if you used a shorter wheel tire combo and you made your own plastic that does not hang down so low. TT made a longer swing arm the first few years this bike was out and I'm sure they could get closer to 11.5 or 12 inches.

BTW what Spring rates are you guys running on the rear? Mine has been wayyy off since I got my shock and I'm getting a new one. I weight 210 with no gear and my bike is pretty light in the rear. With no extra pre load I was getting 2 inches of static sag and 4.5 inches of rider sag. I had to pre load the hell out of the spring to get 3.5 inches. I want to be closer to 3.25 inches with only 10 inches of travel.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #3104
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Here is some interesting info about the rear shock.

I had to send mine back cause the preload adjuster started to leak.

My bike cycles 10 inches in the rear with the longer shock. Thats full droop to the tire hitting the under plastic ( it rubs a little bottomed out due to the 18 inch rear wheel with the mich dez tire). With no shock on the swing arm can drop another 1.25 inches. You could get an extra inch in there but I think the shock will be hitting the swing arm by then. On the up travel you could maybe get another inch if you used a shorter wheel tire combo and you made your own plastic that does not hang down so low. TT made a longer swing arm the first few years this bike was out and I'm sure they could get closer to 11.5 or 12 inches.

BTW what Spring rates are you guys running on the rear? Mine has been wayyy off since I got my shock and I'm getting a new one. I weight 210 with no gear and my bike is pretty light in the rear. With no extra pre load I was getting 2 inches of static sag and 4.5 inches of rider sag. I had to pre load the hell out of the spring to get 3.5 inches. I want to be closer to 3.25 inches with only 10 inches of travel.

Touratechs alloy swingarm offered 280mm, but they destroyed roundabout 4 dozens of those after the issues at the Dakar Rally.
Very few of those are in the wild, I only know 1 person who actually has one of those.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #3105
jkphoto
Sometime Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Anyone who replaced their stock Dakar rear suspension want to get rid of their OEM un

I was in the process of getting the parts together to swap in a set of 2002 YZ250F forks onto my 2002 Dakar when I came into a deal on a 2006 F650GS that had been wrecked that that I couldn't pass up. It has about 20,000 less miles on it, so therefore the YZ forks will now go onto the 2006. However it is a low non-Dakar model so now I am in need of a Stock Dakar rear shock. Anyone got one lying around that you want to get rid of? I'm also open to swaps for my low setup if someone is wanting to lower a bike.
jkphoto is online now   Reply With Quote