Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to have a smartphone! A phone is a phone, you spin the dial and talk to people period.
You couldn't pay me enough to talk to people on my SmartPhone! If it's that important, let them Message me!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #17
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to talk to people on my SmartPhone! If it's that important, let them Message me!
+1 I usually don't bother answering my phone when it rings. My manager will send me an email if a client urgently needs to get hold of me, then I'll call the client back grudgingly.

My smartphone isn't a phone... it's a pocket sized computer that happens to be capable of phone calls. I'm *almost* tempted to have a smartphone and something more basic, but the smartphone is good enough as a phone not to bother carrying two devices.

As a GPS though... I'll take the smartphone every time. It's got a nicer screen, it's got more memory, and it's got better software. A good mount it's far stronger and more durable than my KTM (I've had to repair my bike many times, never had to repair my phone. By the way, almost anything on an iPhone can be repaired if broken - and fairly cheaply). There's no comparison, I'll never buy a standalone GPS.

I do carry an old school cheap and rock solid phone with ~1 week of battery life safely packed away on adv rides, just a sim card swap away from use. I've never used it yet... except once when I lost my smartphone, which could have happened no matter what type I had. I also have a paper map with me as a backup.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 01:11 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote