Perfect! Thanks for that
Muddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #14117
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
This is payback Rob for previous digs at me , What does it say above "no big jumps" , now what about a camel.

Ha ha! I think a certain Lexpo may be your partner in crime here.
Good work
Muddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #14118
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,322
DRZ 400 "E" Model Racks now a reality!

I met with inmate Jackpiner57 on Friday. He's been working on a set of luggage racks for my "E" model, and has completed the welding and fabrication. I'm impressed with his design skills and craftsmanship. The racks are now awaiting paint, and will go for their field trials soon.

Unlike other solutions out there, these racks will mount a variety of luggage. He designed this set to mount my Wolfman expedition dry bags, but the mounting points will work with a variety of other throw-over systems. The top rack includes a mounting point for the Rotopax fuel can mount.

Perhaps their best feature is that they use stock mounting points. Beyond enlarging one hole in the left plastics, no modification to the bike is necessary. This means far less hassle than searching up an "S" subframe, modifying the airbox, and the lot.

Since the system works with the stock "E" subframe, it will be lighter in weight than the "S" subframe and racks.

An added advantage is with the addition of two strap clamps, the rack will keep the rear fender from flopping around, thus ending tail-light breakage.

Pics to follow as soon as the racks leave the paint shop.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #14119
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
You mean like this?

What rear rack do you have on there right now? I've been looking for a decent one for the E model, and that looks pretty burly.

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #14120
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpointsixtwo View Post
What rear rack do you have on there right now? I've been looking for a decent one for the E model, and that looks pretty burly.
That's a Nomadic rack, which is available through Seat Concepts here: http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...roduct=8231410

It's not bad for day trips, is light weight, and mounts easily. It is fairly small for anything larger than rain gear and a water bottle. I find it difficult to strap anything to it securely. Although they claim a 9" x 11" platform area, it's actually 9" x 7" useful. I don't want to shit on my brothers, it's a nicely finished piece and a good value.

The TATrack platform is quite a lot larger (16.5" wide x 14.25 deep,) offers a Rotopax mount, and will protect the rear turn signals. I wish I had it yesterday in the woods. I had to order new turn signals last night. . . It does not add appreciably to the width of the bike. It just clears the muffler and the battery case when mounted.

Overall weight on the TATrack is going to be greater, but I don't think the difference will be huge.

Tom is jigged up and ready to produce these. His vendor thread here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667912

And for those whom it makes a difference to, Tom is an experienced welder/fabricator working here in the US to feed his family. The powder coating on his racks is done by a local firm. This is a hand-made, USA product.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 07:08 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #14121
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
I met with inmate Jackpiner57 on Friday. He's been working on a set of luggage racks for my "E" model, and has completed the welding and fabrication. I'm impressed with his design skills and craftsmanship. The racks are now awaiting paint, and will go for their field trials soon.

Unlike other solutions out there, these racks will mount a variety of luggage. He designed this set to mount my Wolfman expedition dry bags, but the mounting points will work with a variety of other throw-over systems. The top rack includes a mounting point for the Rotopax fuel can mount.

Perhaps their best feature is that they use stock mounting points. Beyond enlarging one hole in the left plastics, no modification to the bike is necessary. This means far less hassle than searching up an "S" subframe, modifying the airbox, and the lot.

Since the system works with the stock "E" subframe, it will be lighter in weight than the "S" subframe and racks.

An added advantage is with the addition of two strap clamps, the rack will keep the rear fender from flopping around, thus ending tail-light breakage.

Pics to follow as soon as the racks leave the paint shop.
Hey Canuman, I have an E model and had the Nomadic Rack, Justin is local to San Diego. It worked well. I eventually swapped to an S subframe because I bent my E badly in a crash haha. The S only required me to cut my rear fender and build a maybe a 1.5-2" bracket to bolt the pipe onto the frame. I didn't mod the airbox in any way.

But, best of luck with the E racks, I'm quite interested to see how they turn out. Post some action pics when you're done.
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #14122
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
This is payback Rob for previous digs at me , What does it say above "no big jumps" , now what about a camel.

DRZ jump pics are sweet! Good work.
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #14123
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 784
A lot of work for a rookie

I just wanted to show off what I've been working on the last two weeks. I've never done any machining but a machinist at work gave me some advice but didn't want to stay after hours to help me. I'm quit proud of the results after going on a 150 mile ride today. The ride started out with some Harley riders, but I soon got bored and after lunch an emergency happened at home and I had to leave.

toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #14124
GlennR
Bikini Waxer

Oddometer: 1,683
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
I just wanted to show off what I've been working on the last two weeks. I've never done any machining but a machinist at work gave me some advice but didn't want to stay after hours to help me. I'm quit proud of the results after going on a 150 mile ride today. The ride started out with some Harley riders, but I soon got bored and after lunch an emergency happened at home and I had to leave.

Sweet! What wheels did you use? Where you able to keep the cush drive on the rear? I'm just now starting on a set of SV650 wheels for my WR450. I've ordered the wheels, cush hub, & rotors. Still working on figuring out the bearings & spacers. Did you have any issues getting the bearings to fit the axle? On mine the rear axle is 22mm and the bearings don't come in that ID, seems like reducing sleeves would be available, but I haven't found any yet. I'll call the bearing suppliers tomorrow and see what to do.

Wish I had free access to a lathe...

Do you have any other shots of the machining and maybe of how you chucked up the wheels?

thanks,

free/online Motorcycle Repair Course-
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #14125
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
Give us some details , thanks .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #14126
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
He used honda wheels. He has a thread going on TT. Search Hooligan you'll find a couple.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #14127
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Thanks for the info! The TATrack system looks great, will there be an E version available as well? I'm from VT originally and will be up there quite a bit this summer- maybe I can even save on shipping as well!

Quote:
That's a Nomadic rack, which is available through Seat Concepts here: http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...roduct=8231410

It's not bad for day trips, is light weight, and mounts easily. It is fairly small for anything larger than rain gear and a water bottle. I find it difficult to strap anything to it securely. Although they claim a 9" x 11" platform area, it's actually 9" x 7" useful. I don't want to shit on my brothers, it's a nicely finished piece and a good value.

The TATrack platform is quite a lot larger (16.5" wide x 14.25 deep,) offers a Rotopax mount, and will protect the rear turn signals. I wish I had it yesterday in the woods. I had to order new turn signals last night. . . It does not add appreciably to the width of the bike. It just clears the muffler and the battery case when mounted.

Overall weight on the TATrack is going to be greater, but I don't think the difference will be huge.

Tom is jigged up and ready to produce these. His vendor thread here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667912

And for those whom it makes a difference to, Tom is an experienced welder/fabricator working here in the US to feed his family. The powder coating on his racks is done by a local firm. This is a hand-made, USA product.

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #14128
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,050
Oil Filter - O - ring.... O ! Ring ? or ????

So its only my second oil change on the DRZ and after doing so, I remembered that I forgot to research the fact that my 04 "S" model has no "O-ring" behind the filter.... the one that the service manual says should be changed whenever you change the filter.. Im not sure if the original owner pulled it and never replaced it ?? or maybe it was attached to the original filter and came out with it ???

In either case, it appears that it isnt needed ?

Is it typical to run without it ? or am I in dire need of getting one yesterday and installing it ???

Does anyone know where to get the proper size ??

thanks,
-Brian

The Toad screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 08:26 AM
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #14129
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
So its only my second oil change on the DRZ and after doing so, I remembered that I forgot to research the fact that my 04 "S" model has no "O-ring" behind the filter.... the one that the service manual says should be changed whenever you change the filter.. Im not sure if the original owner pulled it and never replaced it ?? or maybe it was attached to the original filter and came out with it ???

Is it typical to run without it ? or am I in dire need of getting one yesterday and installing it ???

thanks,
-Brian
there is a small oring that goes over the shaft that the filter goes onto. It's not the end of the world if you go an oil change without it but it's recommended to replace it when you change the oil next

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #14130
ZukiNoomin
The Dude abides

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post

thanks,
-Brian
If you have a Harbor Freight Tools or similar near you, they sell
an assortment of o-rings in a small plastic box. I keep one in the garage, it has saved me many trips to the hardware store.

ZukiNoomin is offline   Reply With Quote