Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #63556
fbga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
If you have a stock petcock, the float bowl is empty, put it on prime to flow gas without engine vacuum.

Congrats on the new baby!! A DRZ400??
The baby is a beautiful little girl and if she behaves well she might get a beemer as a little sister...
I'm not sure how the stock petcock looks like. I have an IMS tank with the petcock you see on the picture below. Positions are OFF, ON and RESERVE. After cleaning the carb I only added enough fuel for reserve. I'll add more fuel to try and prime it on the "on" position...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #63557
fbga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
I let a bike sit for four months with the petcock on and bad fuel and it gumed up the carb would not start.
When you get it started run some seafoam in the tank.
The lady from Autozone also mentioned Seafoam today. I had never heard of it but now that someone from this thread is suggesting, I might give it a try...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #63558
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Stp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbga View Post
The lady from Autozone also mentioned Seafoam today. I had never heard of it but now that someone from this thread is suggesting, I might give it a try...
STP is making a seafoam version it is buy one get one free at autozone, I just picked up 4 as I have 5 sets of wheels and one driver.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #63559
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I'd guess you're rich on 0-to-mid throttle opening, while lean WOT.

It sounds like you could possibly turn the idle-mix screw in 3/4 of a turn...maybe more. You should need a bit of choke to cold start. Try moving the clip up again too, until it gives you issues. Mikuni 140 main is probably too lean, BTW. A 145-150 main is about right at sea-level with the snorkel removed and running a non-stock exhaust.

An 18" rear rim isn't necessarily going to affect mileage. An 18" tire would. If the OVERALL diameter of your tire is the same as stock, your mileage shouldn't be affected much. 15/48 gearing is pretty darn short compared to stock 15/42 though. That could definitely affect your mileage. You could try 16/45 or 46 for pavement, and swap on a 14 front for dirt. 15/45 or similar would give you a compromise.
Thanks Kommando for your reply. My plugs, while fairly new, are white, which would confirm your idea that there is a lean condition somewhere-- I would have expected some surging at interstate speeds if too lean but what do I know. I've been working my way down through jet sizes thinking if it wasn't surging or otherwise misbehaving, but running well, I could maybe lean it out more for mileage. I'll try a larger jet. This [carb] tuning business challenges my linear non-mechanical brain; I enjoy learning though. Many thanks for the help. Cheers
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #63560
kerosene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Troubles starting after running of of fuel.

Not sure how well you guys can help in this vague thing.
Bike: DR650, The bike is new to me (few weeks or a month now), well kept and runs like champ. Has big tank and after market petcock (non-vacuum line and has off position). Stock carb. (same petcock as in the picture just posted - yellow tank one).

Few weeks ago bike the bike ran out of fuel while the petcock was set to "ON", I pulled over switched to "res" and cranked. No life, waited and cranked. Tried this over and over with no help. I pushed the bike to station. Filled it, waited and cursed my luck. And when I tried again I got instant life. Rest of that trip I kept it full enough to not touch reserves.

Yesterday I wanted to purposefully try it again, run tank out of main capacity, switch to reserve and run that dry (spare in pannier). Bike stuttered when it ran out of main, switched to Res, all good. Then it ran out of reserve, full death, no stuttering.. I poured my 3 pint spare in the tank. No life. At all. Waited and waited, trying to crank every now and then. One point got to idle for a few sec but wouldn't run. choke made no difference.

Eventually braining from the past incident I figured that the added pressure of full fill-up solved the issue. So I blew into the gas tank - tried and instant fire. Running all good like nothing happened.

Sticky float needle? Would seem that it would rather stick open than close? Amy ideas? I removed the hose from the fuel tap and that was running freely.

Has big tank and after market petcock (non-vacuum).

Positives from the weekend - intimidators made a BIG improvement in handling. New 14/46 gearing is much much better on dirt and can still cruise 65mph and even 70+ without too crazy rpm. Despite being jetted to low altitude and after market exhaust, hi comp piston etc. it ran great all the way past 9500ft (the highest I hit).
Suzuki SV650 '03
Honda XR650L '97

past

Suzuki PV50 '87
Suzuki RM250 '86
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #63561
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbga View Post
The baby is a beautiful little girl and if she behaves well she might get a beemer as a little sister...
I'm not sure how the stock petcock looks like. I have an IMS tank with the petcock you see on the picture below. Positions are OFF, ON and RESERVE. After cleaning the carb I only added enough fuel for reserve. I'll add more fuel to try and prime it on the "on" position...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
Bike: DR650, The bike is new to me (few weeks or a month now), well kept and runs like champ. Has big tank and after market petcock (non-vacuum line and has off position). Stock carb. (same petcock as in the picture just posted - yellow tank one).

Few weeks ago bike the bike ran out of fuel while the petcock was set to "ON", I pulled over switched to "res" and cranked. No life, waited and cranked. Tried this over and over with no help. I pushed the bike to station. Filled it, waited and cursed my luck. And when I tried again I got instant life. Rest of that trip I kept it full enough to not touch reserves.

Yesterday I wanted to purposefully try it again, run tank out of main capacity, switch to reserve and run that dry (spare in pannier). Bike stuttered when it ran out of main, switched to Res, all good. Then it ran out of reserve, full death, no stuttering.. I poured my 3 pint spare in the tank. No life. At all. Waited and waited, trying to crank every now and then. One point got to idle for a few sec but wouldn't run. choke made no difference.

Eventually braining from the past incident I figured that the added pressure of full fill-up solved the issue. So I blew into the gas tank - tried and instant fire. Running all good like nothing happened.

Sticky float needle? Would seem that it would rather stick open than close? Amy ideas? I removed the hose from the fuel tap and that was running freely.

Positives from the weekend - intimidators made a BIG improvement in handling. New 14/46 gearing is much much better on dirt and can still cruise 65mph and even 70+ without too crazy rpm. Despite being jetted to low altitude and after market exhaust, hi comp piston etc. it ran great all the way past 9500ft (the highest I hit).
There are some IMS tanks that have trouble with fuel flow when the fuel gets lower. The uphill loop from the petcock to the carb will get an air bubble and vapor lock. A fuller tank has enough fuel pressure to push fuel through. Other guys with the IMS have no problems with this loop.

You're trying to get this loop as low (flat) as possible.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #63562
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,983
Thanks, all, for the discussion of the DR and weight distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Mambo .... having ridden lots of Sugar sand in FLA when I was working there, I would most definitely go with the Husky 450 or 510. Both are awesome in sand. I've ridden all kinds of bikes in sand (Including modern KTM's) and the Husky's to me are some of the best through sand. Only the Husabergs match them in deep sand. They just go straight through it ... like a built in steering damper. Very very stable.

The DR is in a different league. For it's weight, it's not bad in deep sand. But since that's all you've got in FLA, (and some mud bogs!) I'd buy Husky and never look back.
The Brand is now very well established and BMW now own the company. Parts and dealers will be around, plus on line support will be good too.

Will the Husky last as long as a DR650? No way. But it's not that pricey to rebuild every 10,000 miles or so. Really really good off road bikes ... and not bad on the street either!
Off Road in deep sand you will struggle on a DR ... on a Husky you will actually have fun!
Neither of the areas outlined in red endear me to the Husky, lol. I use my bikes for commuting, and easily rack up 10k miles in just under 7 months... so rebuilding twice a year would seem excessive ... especially with as dear as BMW feels their parts are. BMW, to me, wants to keep their parts - this can be seen in their pricing of them. I feel that if BMW wants those parts so bad, then they should keep 'em.

Moreover, for the premium costs of BMW's, I'm not inspired by their engineering ability, either, compared to the Jap bikes. This would have been my fear with Husky even if BMW didn't own them... but it's actually doubled the concern, now, instead of halved.

Do I still want one? hell yes... but i have to be real about riding the sands once every few weeks vs. riding at 84 MPH on the highways (about 35 miles of highways, plus side streets, each way). In reality the DR platform with a twin cylinder ~800cc would be what I was after - and yes, that would be way heavier on the front end, but I could deal with that trade off for the power and speed the motor could handle.

My questions here, which you guys answered very well, were more inquisitive to see if i could have it all if I were to accept having a single-cylinder. It doesn't seem like I can though, but maybe the DR650 is still the bike to try (since the option of a big bore kit is available). I'm torn between a budget that can't afford a 990cc KTM, and trying to get something even close to an Africa Twin... but without the headache of an older bike or support structure of a rare-for-the-USA bike.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 10:05 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #63563
kerosene
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
There are some IMS tanks that have trouble with fuel flow when the fuel gets lower. The uphill loop from the petcock to the carb will get an air bubble and vapor lock. A fuller tank has enough fuel pressure to push fuel through. Other guys with the IMS have no problems with this loop.

Thanks I definitely have more "uphill" on mine. Will check it this week.
Suzuki SV650 '03
Honda XR650L '97

past

Suzuki PV50 '87
Suzuki RM250 '86
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #63564
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Welcome!

Quote:
Thanks I definitely have more "uphill" on mine. Will check it this week.
this is a good place to hang out on.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #63565
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

Neither of the areas outlined in red endear me to the Husky, lol. I use my bikes for commuting, and easily rack up 10k miles in just under 7 months... so rebuilding twice a year would seem excessive ... especially with as dear as BMW feels their parts are. BMW, to me, wants to keep their parts - this can be seen in their pricing of them. I feel that if BMW wants those parts so bad, then they should keep 'em.

Moreover, for the premium costs of BMW's, I'm not inspired by their engineering ability, either, compared to the Jap bikes. This would have been my fear with Husky even if BMW didn't own them... but it's actually doubled the concern, now, instead of halved.

Do I still want one? hell yes... but i have to be real about riding the sands once every few weeks vs. riding at 84 MPH on the highways (about 35 miles of highways, plus side streets, each way). In reality the DR platform with a twin cylinder ~800cc would be what I was after - and yes, that would be way heavier on the front end, but I could deal with that trade off for the power and speed the motor could handle.

My questions here, which you guys answered very well, were more inquisitive to see if i could have it all if I were to accept having a single-cylinder. It doesn't seem like I can though, but maybe the DR650 is still the bike to try (since the option of a big bore kit is available). I'm torn between a budget that can't afford a 990cc KTM, and trying to get something even close to an Africa Twin... but without the headache of an older bike or support structure of a rare-for-the-USA bike.
if you can handle the weight once every few weeks, you will love the dr650. to me, it's a featherweight, but that's cuz my other bikes are a '95 buell s2 and a '78 ducati darmah! but, i can tell you my dr650, set up w/motard wheels/tires, improved suspension, upgraded intake exhaust (fcr39 carb/tsukigi-gsxr1000 muffler/kientech hi-flo midpipe/fmf hi-flo powerbomb header), is so much fun on the street, it's ridiculous. and, w/stock gearing, it has no problem cruising at 80, w/blasts higher, if you so desire... big bore kit is not really needed, imo; the bike is plenty fast as-is.

last week, i went riding w/my ex brother-in-law; he took my dr, and i took his dl1000. we went blasting down country roads and highways; he was amazed at the grunt of my bike. and, he's ~6'-3" and ~235lbs presently... if i were wanting to do a lot of off-roading, i'd simply get a set of dirt wheels/tires and call it a day... i'm 6'-0" and only ~155lbs, and i have picked up bikes >450lbs, so i don't see the dr being a problem...

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #63566
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

I tend to agree with your comments about BMW. I assumed you would buy a used Husky ... one made by Husky before the BMW take over. Maybe I mis-read your first post or missed some of it. But with BMW running things it's likely parts availability would be good ... but expensive. That's why I own a DR650 and not a BMW ... or Husky. (still, very nice machines)

I thought you were asking how the DR is in sand. Did you mention commuting 10K miles in 7 months? I thought you were looking for a dual sport bike with emphasis on dirt riding in sand? Guess I missed that part.

All that said ... the DR650 is a fantastic commuter. Fast, smooth and super reliable. (mine is at 45,000 miles) If set up right it's better than any twin or other big adventure bike in sand or anywhere off road. No brain-er ... it's 130 lbs. lighter weight than a 990 or F800GS. Now price a used DR650.
Best value today in motorcycling, IMHO.

If you can afford it ... I'd get any economical street bike for commuting .. and buy a dirt bike for dirt riding. 10,000 miles takes a long time to accumulate if riding only off road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #63567
kerosene
Gnarly Adventurer

my bike at 9400 or so ft. Seems to run fine from sea level l to here.

Suzuki SV650 '03
Honda XR650L '97

past

Suzuki PV50 '87
Suzuki RM250 '86
Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #63568
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
fuel flow

Quote:

My "uphill" with the new Acerbis tank for the DR is even way more severe than that. When I first installed it, it wouldnt flow any fuel at all, even with a full tank. I could NOT figure out how to get fuel to flow UPhill. So i disconnectd the fuel line from the carb and pointed it down and turned on the fuel for a second and it gushed. So now with fuel in the line I reattached to the carb and it runs great, no flow problems. Its all working on the siphon principle which says that liquid wants to rise to its own level, so as long as the fuel in the tank doesnt get lower than the high point on your "uphill", it will flow in all sorts of directions to get as high as the level in the tank. (all new to me, i was never a hooligan and siphoned gas as a youngster.) My question is what happens if I run out of the main, creating no fuel in the line, then I want to switch to reserve.....Will it again have flow issues? I ran the carb dry by accident the other day by running it dry with the petcock in the off position, and as it sputtered, I turned it to ON and it came to life, so there was no flow problem there, but I'm still worried about the flow when I hit reserve. The guys running Agualine Safari tanks must have some good answers on this. I even tried to bend over the fuel inlet tube to flat, but it would NOT budge. I've seen others do this, so maybe the carb has to come off and apart to accomplish this.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #63569
kerosene
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
My question is what happens if I run out of the main, creating no fuel in the line, then I want to switch to reserve.....Will it again have flow issues? I ran the carb dry by accident the other day by running it dry with the petcock in the off position, and as it sputtered, I turned it to ON and it came to life, so there was no flow problem there, but I'm still worried about the flow when I hit reserve. The guys running Agualine Safari tanks must have some good answers on this. I even tried to bend over the fuel inlet tube to flat, but it would NOT budge. I've seen others do this, so maybe the carb has to come off and apart to accomplish this.
Do as I did - blow in the tank. As you have your moth over the gas cap keeping pressure the fuel fumes will rise to your mouth. not so nice.

But that is exactly what happened to me on the 1st time I had trouble. Ran min dry and tried switching to res - no life.

If fuel pressure from gravity is lower than the buoyancy of the air bubble there will be no flow.
Suzuki SV650 '03
Honda XR650L '97

past

Suzuki PV50 '87
Suzuki RM250 '86
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #63570
Stopelizard
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:

I'm running an IMS/Pingel set up with a relatively horizontal clear fuel line. When I switch to reserve and there's no flow, I "flick" the line with my finger, the air bubble heads north & the fuel starts flowing.
Stopelizard is offline   Reply With Quote