Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #436
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,245
Hey Mike - I brought that 1150 up last summer.

The 72 hour thing is a USA requirement. Canada doesn't care and wont ask.

The proper procedure to be kosher with US customs is to contact the post that you are going to cross in advance as they each have slightly different requirements. The only US post that handles vehicle export in our area is Lewiston (NOT Buffalo) and they are only open bankers hours M-F. For the 1150, they just wanted the VIN 72 hours in advance, I didn't have to fax them anything.

The above was the case last summer at least. I suppose things could have changed.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #437
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
Sending the paper work to the USA customs is the proper procedure. They require this to properly export the item you are leaving with.

But I dont know if the Canada customs cares. The dont seem to ask for that. They only care about whats required to import the bike. I have been through twice with someone and they never asked for that paper work.

I'm not suggesting you try it.
Got it, thanks! The paperwork is for proper exportation, not importation.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #438
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill View Post
Hey Mike - I brought that 1150 up last summer.

The 72 hour thing is a USA requirement. Canada doesn't care and wont ask.

The proper procedure to be kosher with US customs is to contact the post that you are going to cross in advance as they each have slightly different requirements. The only US post that handles vehicle export in our area is Lewiston (NOT Buffalo) and they are only open bankers hours M-F. For the 1150, they just wanted the VIN 72 hours in advance, I didn't have to fax them anything.

The above was the case last summer at least. I suppose things could have changed.
Right. I got confused of the Canadian import requirements vs. the US export requirements. My mistake...

Thanks everybody for the clarification.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #439
blkhrt81
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
Sending the paper work to the USA customs is the proper procedure. They require this to properly export the item you are leaving with.

But I dont know if the Canada customs cares. The dont seem to ask for that. They only care about whats required to import the bike. I have been through twice with someone and they never asked for that paper work.

I'm not suggesting you try it.
They do check the title to make sure it has the export stamp from US Customs
blkhrt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #440
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhrt81 View Post
They may very well. I just know the two times i went they did not. It could be hit and miss like when they charge you taxes on everyday items when you cross.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #441
jimbop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I have brought two bikes across the Boarder (Pacific crossing) Once my export Docs were checked and once they were not. By sending the documents to the US side 72 hours in advance you are adding a secondary check as to whether or not there is a lean against the bike or perhaps it has been stolen.
jimbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #442
silverstone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
shipping

Inmates,

My be not the right place to ask ,but I have a buyer for a bike in Ireland. Does any body know what I have to do here on my side with registration and customs ?

Thanks.

my face is laying on the pavement, tasting something awful, i hate it when that happens...
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #443
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,304
A friend is importing a bike and I'm trying to help him out with this:

He's sent a copy of the bill of sale and title to US Customs and has heard back that he can import it, it's clear.

He's sent a copy of the recall letter to the RIV. The accepted it.

Now when he crosses, he will fill out the RIV Form 1 at Canada Customs at the border. Once he pays his RIV fee there, does he have to wait for something to come in the mail from RIV before he can take it to CDN Tire and the to the MTO, or can he take the Form 1 to CDN Tire right away?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #444
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Against The Wind View Post
Now when he crosses, he will fill out the RIV Form 1 at Canada Customs at the border. Once he pays his RIV fee there, does he have to wait for something to come in the mail from RIV before he can take it to CDN Tire and the to the MTO, or can he take the Form 1 to CDN Tire right away?
I just imported a bike about 3 weeks ago. I filled out the Form 1 at the border, they registered it with RIV. Later that day I paid the RIV fee and they made a Form 2 accessible to me via the website. Form 2 is what you take to Canadian Tire. They complete the inspection, then you take Form 1 and your MTO safety certification (plus insurance) to the MTO to have it plated.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #445
Elburrito
Donkey

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhrt81 View Post
I've imported before and never gone through american customs importing into canada, from what I understand you only need to do this if you are a licensed importer.
Elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #446
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elburrito View Post
I've imported before and never gone through american customs importing into canada, from what I understand you only need to do this if you are a licensed importer.
Nope, you ALWAYS are supposed to do this so that the unit is properly exported from the U.S. If you DON'T export it properly, good luck trying to send it back to the U.S. one day if necessary.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #447
Elburrito
Donkey

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Nope, you ALWAYS are supposed to do this so that the unit is properly exported from the U.S. If you DON'T export it properly, good luck trying to send it back to the U.S. one day if necessary.
It's not mandatory. Canada customs simply doesn't care.

Yes, if you plan on bringing it back into the US then of course export it properly from the US. I know I'll never do that so I skip the process.
Elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #448
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elburrito View Post
It's not mandatory. Canada customs simply doesn't care.

Yes, if you plan on bringing it back into the US then of course export it properly from the US. I know I'll never do that so I skip the process.
Correct - Canada customs might not check (but they might!). Why skip that simple, free step of stopping at US Customs on the way out? They ensure that your purchase is actually clear title (not stolen etc) and who knows now whether you or some subsequent owner might later want to sell back to an American? I recently sold a car back to the US - even though I originally planned to keep it forever.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #449
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
RIV Sticker

What have you guys done with the RIV sticker you get sent after the process is finished. I imported my bike over a year ago and have not put it on. Have you ever been asked by anyone when going back to the states to show it? What is the purpose of it?
I really dont want to put it on my bike but am in the process of moving to a boarder town so will be back and fourth a fair bit I think
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #450
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
RIV Sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
What have you guys done with the RIV sticker you get sent after the process is finished. I imported my bike over a year ago and have not put it on. Have you ever been asked by anyone when going back to the states to show it? What is the purpose of it?
I really dont want to put it on my bike but am in the process of moving to a boarder town so will be back and fourth a fair bit I think
I have never been asked by US Customs. However, I was asked once coming home (out of approximately 20 trips) by the Canadian Customs Officer where I bought the bike? After telling him it was imported from the States, he came out to look at the plates and the speedo. I then pointed to the RIV sticker; he waved me through.

I would just put it on...not worth the hassle.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote