Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,638
New BC helmet laws June 1st.

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2012/0...ycle-laws.html

Not super happy with the new "no standing on pegs, bike will be impounded" aspect of this. Helmet laws will make sense though. I'll have to check my helmets to see which are Snell 2005 or 2010.

Steve
Steve G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,707
Quote from the linked article

"Motorcycle operators and passengers must be seated with their feet on foot pegs or the floorboards at all times (even when the motorcycle is stopped at an intersection)."

My balance MOJO is not that good, so much for the BC vacation.

Did not see a reference to the standing thing.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
TorontoDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
how do you stop at an intersection with both feet on the pegs or floorboards ?
TorontoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDude View Post
how do you stop at an intersection with both feet on the pegs or floorboards ?
Great question...
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
maybe they should quote the actual regulation properly...
Quote:
The operator of a motorcycle must be seated astride the driver’s seat. Passengers must be seated behind the operator astride the passenger’s seat with their feet on foot pegs or the floorboards at all times (even when the motorcycle is stopped - e.g., at an intersection), or be properly seated in a side
both feet on the pegs while stopped at a light does not apply to the driver...
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,988
Good on the new helmet laws.

I'm having a little trouble with the 'no standing' issue. Maybe it's my early riding 'trials' skills that I still use but I will on occasion get up on the pegs to lower my centre of gravity to cross over angled railway tracks or other uneven road surfaces. It also protects my lower back from the jarring one of these irregularities can give. I guess I'll be looking out for the cops before I stand up but I'm sure I'll still be doing it.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
- Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see where it says no standing. It just seems to make reference to the fact that when the driver is sitting, they must be seated in the driver's seat (as opposed to the gas tank or handlebars).

- Feet on footpegs at all times makes reference to the passenger. While riding, there's a big difference between stretching a leg that's fallen asleep, dropping an inside foot to stop from falling over on a turn and riding with your feet over the handlebars.

I'll probably enjoy reading some of the comments on Times Colonist and Vancouver Sun website tonight.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Good on the new helmet laws.

I'm having a little trouble with the 'no standing' issue. Maybe it's my early riding 'trials' skills that I still use but I will on occasion get up on the pegs to lower my centre of gravity to cross over angled railway tracks or other uneven road surfaces. It also protects my lower back from the jarring one of these irregularities can give. I guess I'll be looking out for the cops before I stand up but I'm sure I'll still be doing it.
Yes that....the GS rode so well for many Kms standing on the pegs on bad roads, much better control.

Not fun if they start applying that on forestry roads/gravel Hwys and they do patrol some of them once in a while. I also feel safer standing just so I can see the ruts or potholes better and possibly avoid them. And turning one of the mirrors so I can see behind standing up....them offloaded logging trucks on the Island may just be wanting to go faster than you, I like a warning that they may be on my tail.

Don't know about the new regulations but there has always been one in the books, 194(1) Operate motorcycle-not on seat, $121.00 and 2 demerits. Sure is open to interpretation that.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I got into this with the Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles (OSMV) over twitter a bit, standing is illegal. That the cops don't enforce it on unpaved roads is a courtesy, which means it could be revoked to control dual sport access without a change of the law. I was upset enough to do a little writing on the subject.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Neil, well written as always. Thank you for your special mix of science, sarcasm and sincerity.

Please, we all need to speak our mind NOW ! You can reach Attorney General Shirley Bond at: AG.Minister@gov.bc.ca
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post
Neil, well written as always. Thank you for your special mix of science, sarcasm and sincerity.

Please, we all need to speak our mind NOW ! You can reach Attorney General Shirley Bond at: AG.Minister@gov.bc.ca
I sent them an email and received confirmation. The correct email address is :
JAG.Minister@gov.bc.ca
Old 05-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post

Offworlder,
Thanks man, and here I thought I'd dialled down the sarcasm ;) Also thanks to E-town, I updated the e-mail addy in the piece. Good catch.
Cheers,
Neil
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
How's that nanny state working out ?

No standing ?

There's nothing like an absurdly broad law such as this to convince me that there are idiots at work
writing the laws.

I bet the busy-bodies who wrote the law don't even RIDE.

I'm not Canadian, but if I was I'd get enough riders together to see that this law was struck down. Don't
you guys have something analogous to the AMA in the US ?

One thing is certain, as long as people sit there passively, governments everywhere will hand out abuse until the sun
dies. They key is to make enough noise that it becomes easier for the lawmakers to change the law than to maintain
it.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 10:35 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,450
Yeah....had to stand up a couple times yesterday to adjust my raingear and clear up the water puddling under my butts. Nothing better than a little windstream action at XXX Km/hr for that.Also had to stand up for better control the whole 2 kms of gravel road home, it was very slippery from all the mud, I really had to see the ruts/potholes from a longer way. Idiots....!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I for one, am very happy with the changes. It is obvious that trying to educate has not worked. We keep seeing and hearing about some "biker" that was involved in a mishap and squashed his head because he was not using a proper helmet. Then you see a picture of what the "biker" was using. Some little beany type thing that would not protect a bocci ball. So the government finally realizes that educating did not work, so they legislate. This will hopefully help to cut down on some of the health care costs associated with head injuries as well as lower the death toll.

I was visiting a friend last night and the helmet law came up in conversation. This friend is of the cruiser and Harley type, but has always worn a proper helmet. He said that he was in the local bike shop yesterday and that helemts were flying off the shelves. Lots of "bikers" were buying just about anything that is DOT approved. The bike shops must be very happy with the sudden increase in sales.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote