Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #4891
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
I recall somebody in Ile des Chenes does stators ... looking for his contact info.... just don't recall his name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
James
330-0652
Ile des Chênes, MB
A new stator for the Denso automotive alternator was about $41 off the shelf, so no problem there. It's back together and quiet now.

The issue with stator swap on the GL1200 (and the reason we use automotive conversions on them) is that the factory stator is on the rear of the engine, requiring engine removal to swap... 8-14 hours of hard unrelenting work. Then you still need a new regulator/rectifier, and after all that work and many $ you still only get about 28 amps.... now I have 55 amps and an alternator that can be removed in 10 minutes and fixed in any small town (even Winnipeg!)
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #4892
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothelake View Post
I have plenty of tools including torque wrench, impact guns, breaker bars and sockets. Backroader has generously offered a bike lift that I will pick up after work today. Just bring yourselves, required parts, appetites, sense of humour and we'll have a good time! Whether it be for an hour or all afternoon & evening you're welcome to come by.
Good stuff.
I also recommend having brake cleaner, paper towels, and a hubcap or three and or ice cream pails etc. to hold parts.
Unless you're doing the work with the bike on it's side, having engine oil is a good idea unless you're into reusing the oil.

A hard plastic scraper or some broken plexiglass type stuff can also come in handy if someone has a glued on gasket. The aluminium covers are easily damaged so steel scrapers are not recommended. But, in all likelihood the gaskets will be reuseable unless someone has previously reassembled the case covers with sealant.

A bit of grease on the gasket is far superior to sealant\glue in the case of the stator covers.
Did I mention brake cleaner?
PiffleMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #4893
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 805
Tech Day

I'm still in as well.
Should be there a bit after 2pm.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #4894
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
...now I have 55 amps and an alternator that can be removed in 10 minutes and fixed in any small town (even Winnipeg!)
You're going to love the extra juice. How ya gonna use it?
Kleig lights? Portable arc welder? Power a small city?
PiffleMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #4895
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,551
There is nothing like a tech day to get the riders out.
Looking forward to the "less technical photos" afterward.
See ya tomorrow!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #4896
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 839
Gaah... wish I could make it to the tech day - I want to swap the doo spring soon.

As rugbyrtcwka says - "stupid work".
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #4897
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
Had my first real ride in the rain today. Was heading home, the wind came up, and I just saw a solid wall of water in front of me. I'm still not entirely certain how much of the moisture on my clothes after I got home was rain that got through my suit as opposed to the results of a butt-clenchingly cold sweat.

Certainly would not have bothered me if not for that utterly vicious gusty cross wind.

More thrills than an amusement park
The first time I rode in a heavy rain I thought that was it - I was a goner... but traction was a lot better than I expected it to be. I don't mind it now, as long as I've got rain gear on (I've got Frogg Toggs too, they work well for me).

Pifflemaster showed me a useful trick last summer - put a little bit of lemon Pledge on your visor and wipe it off, the rain just beads up and rolls off. Really nice, especially on the highway - the wind keeps rolling the rain out of of your view.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #4898
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
A tiny caution for hwy 307 thru Whiteshell - brought my GL1200 back from Pinawa on Sunday and took the scenic route (307/44). Quite a lot of gravel on some corners on 307 yet.
Seconded - was out at Barrier Bay and Rainbow Falls this past weekend and the 307 gets sandier the further east you go...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #4899
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
tech day

I will be leaving work around 4pm and should be there by 4:30 if traffic is good.
I have doo need to be done and if everything goes smooth, might do my front sprocket as well.
see you all tomorrow.
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #4900
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
The first time I rode in a heavy rain I thought that was it - I was a goner... but traction was a lot better than I expected it to be. I don't mind it now, as long as I've got rain gear on (I've got Frogg Toggs too, they work well for me).

Pifflemaster showed me a useful trick last summer - put a little bit of lemon Pledge on your visor and wipe it off, the rain just beads up and rolls off. Really nice, especially on the highway - the wind keeps rolling the rain out of of your view.

My suit has a waterproof layer inside, but I've been leaving it out since it just becomes a sauna suit with it in. Might need those bits today though! For some reason on the day before I had the thought that I should stick my registration in a ziplock baggy. Bit of prescience perhaps.

I'm guessing things were not nearly as bad as I had feared, else I probably WOULD have been in the ditch. At least now light rain won't bother me, so long as I have a bit of sense.

Pledge? That's a new one on me. It must act like an auto wax would, save for not ruining the shield.

Now if only there was something to make the bugs bounce off! I'm not sure how many I collected last Saturday, but it was messy.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #4901
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothelake View Post
I have plenty of tools including torque wrench, impact guns, breaker bars and sockets. Backroader has generously offered a bike lift that I will pick up after work today. Just bring yourselves, required parts, appetites, sense of humour and we'll have a good time! Whether it be for an hour or all afternoon & evening you're welcome to come by.

All right - I'll toss in a roll of shop towels, then. I don't like coming to parties empty-handed
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #4902
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,551
On any given ride, I put all electonics, wallet and papers in a zip lock or dry sac.
After a 10 or 12 hour ride in the rain it's nice to dry gear, especially your clothes and sleeping bag.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #4903
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 628
tech day

Looking forward to seeing everyone...should be there by around 2
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #4904
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

I grabbed some brake cleaner while I was getting oil, since Pifflemaster stressed that point a few times

Just getting my junk together now.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #4905
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,179
Frigging rain

Sorry gang was really looking forward to a meet and greet today. At 1 pm the sun was shining and I only had anther half an hours worth of work. Then the skies opened up and it stayed crappy for 3 hours. Really disappointed with that all. Please post some pictures of what I missed!
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote