ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #17581
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,726
XR oil farkles!

Check out what i found in my BRP oil tonight!

nice oil farkle heh?

bike runs great. I'm thinking that it's to hold the piston pin in place. looks about like that part. did the rings fall of 2010 and the bike doesn't burn oil, so i don't think the piston pin has slid out of place to eat the cylinder.

when the new rings went in it was not I that place the piston pin holder ring, but rather ninja mechanics so it may be something else, but that's the only part that comes to mind having done xr top ends only three times.

thotz? I'm thinking the big trip next weekend might be better to do on the xr400 (for sale, in theory) since i don't have an evening to tear the BRP down by then. The 650 runs like a champ, so i'd hate to leave it. Would the pin slip and eat the cylinder? Anyone have time to rebuild it before the weekend trading for organic farm eggs and the opportunity to walk my gorgeous german shephard???

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #17582
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Warp 9 is relacing front rims onto both my & Trailtwister's BADBs this week. Their price is VERY reasonable for the work involved.

Call'em!
Yep, the old crookedy rim is ready to have her laces undone.
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #17583
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,726
borrow a bike hauler hitch

Anyone have a bike hauler hitch i can borrow for fresh eggs? I'd need it for next weekend... 2" receiver i think.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #17584
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post

nice oil farkle heh?

bike runs great. I'm thinking that it's to hold the piston pin in place. looks about like that part. did the rings fall of 2010 and the bike doesn't burn oil, so i don't think the piston pin has slid out of place to eat the cylinder.

when the new rings went in it was not I that place the piston pin holder ring, but rather ninja mechanics so it may be something else, but that's the only part that comes to mind having done xr top ends only three times.

thotz? I'm thinking the big trip next weekend might be better to do on the xr400 (for sale, in theory) since i don't have an evening to tear the BRP down by then. The 650 runs like a champ, so i'd hate to leave it. Would the pin slip and eat the cylinder? Anyone have time to rebuild it before the weekend trading for organic farm eggs and the opportunity to walk my gorgeous german shephard???
Bummer dude. I wouldn't ride it till you find where it goes. What day are you done with your day job?? I can probably leave whenever and bomb it south. Yo. I better throw on the mondo tank for some mondo moto action.

BTW I'm using Utards to work out these details so some other bitches will get jealous and decide to come along. Can I still say bitches on Utards??? Anyway.........don't be a bitch........ride with Kev and Ry or you will be banned.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #17585
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:

nice oil farkle heh?

Certainly looks like a piston circlip. How would it get down the cylinder wall?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #17586
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Certainly looks like a piston circlip. How would it get down the cylinder wall?
Good point. Maybe it's the old one and got dropped during surgery and just finally found the magnet.

Wait........wouldn't it just drop????

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #17587
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Good point. Maybe it's the old one and got dropped during surgery and just finally found the magnet.
Like Kramer's Jr Mint...
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #17588
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Anyone have a bike hauler hitch i can borrow for fresh eggs? I'd need it for next weekend... 2" receiver i think.
If you mean a hitch hauler, the receiver hitch that is a single bike rail I have one
you're welcome to use.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #17589
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post

Wait........wouldn't it just drop????
Looking at that photo..... you're screwed. The pin now can slide over and start
making the cylinder unhappy. It certainly looks like a wristpin clip that has popped
out and dropped down. Bummer.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #17590
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
If you mean a hitch hauler, the receiver hitch that is a single bike rail I have one
you're welcome to use.
I have one you can use also... I'm in Draper.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #17591
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 887
Looks too small for a piston clip, especially on a BRP. Engines have all sorts of clips that keep gears from moving around, but typically there is a shouldered part that hooks the clip. I'd get out the microfiche and start looking. I bet you'll find another, smaller clip than the piston clip.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #17592
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:

nice oil farkle heh?

Who cares. You rode that bike 2,000 miles with the cam chain slapping against the side of the engine. It's like Pilo's KTM 950, rode the thing 200 miles with a bearing removed from the clutch. Plus, with the frequency that you change the oil, that thing has probably been sitting there for the past 1000+ miles;)

trackhead screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 07:43 AM
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #17593
QSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I'm with Pilo here... Looks too small to be a piston clip. I bet the piston clip is closer to 3/4 inch in diameter.
Good luck finding where it came from.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #17594
pluric
Banned

That must have been some ride if Ryman's nipple ring ended up in your sump.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #17595
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,880
Quote:
That must have been some ride if Ryman's nipple ring ended up in your sump.
Oh...the horror.......the horror........and pain........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote