Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #41941
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
The stock battery will last a long time, Chip. I bought my Shorai battery even though my stock battery was still good, and I'm glad I made the purchase.

Of course, the aftermarket side racks are designed for the stock bike, with the battery box installed. However, if one fabricates his own side racks, I don't doubt the XRR side cover will be easier to remove, and the load will be more centralized on the bike. However, one still needs to beef up the bike's subframe before he thinks about carrying significant loads back there.

Spud
Thanks Spud, as usual a gentleman and scholar. Twisted Throttle or Spud Supports would do the job of the subframe support? No desire here to fab new racks, just thinking that the flat XRR side panel would slide out from under the Cycle Racks/Wolfie Racks. (Both fantastic, btw.)
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #41942
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbl View Post
Thanks Spud, as usual a gentleman and scholar. Twisted Throttle or Spud Supports would do the job of the subframe support? No desire here to fab new racks, just thinking that the flat XRR side panel would slide out from under the Cycle Racks/Wolfie Racks. (Both fantastic, btw.)
You're welcome, Chip. Yes, the XRR side cover should be much easier to remove than the stock side cover with Cycle Racks/Wolfie Racks installed. The XRR side cover is also much easier to manipulate without any side racks installed.

The Spud Cigar struts should reinforce the subframe nicely, and will accommodate the FMF muffler, as well as the stock muffler.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #41943
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
You're welcome, Chip. Yes, the XRR side cover should be much easier to remove than the stock side cover with Cycle Racks/Wolfie Racks installed. The XRR side cover is also much easier to manipulate without any side racks installed.

The Spud Cigar struts should reinforce the subframe nicely, and will accommodate the FMF muffler, as well as the stock muffler.

Spud
No offense intended for the omission of "Cigar". His stand is great! Just lends itself to the fact that I'll probably never sell the L, how would I convince some noob that a, "Spud Cigar Stand" is a good thing??
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #41944
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbl View Post
No offense intended for the omission of "Cigar". His stand is great! Just lends itself to the fact that I'll probably never sell the L, how would I convince some noob that a, "Spud Cigar Stand" is a good thing??
Cigar Mike refined the original Spud Struts for attachment to the foot pegs, so I wanted to make sure he received due credit.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #41945
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Cigar Mike refined the original Spud Struts for attachment to the foot pegs, so I wanted to make sure he received due credit.

Spud
I don't need no stinking credit. The final design may not resemble either one of ours. I think we are here to just give Manracks (Mike) ideas of what will be the final product. He told me the light went on when he finally got the strut back. We will have to wait and see what he has up his sleeve.

Let's be sure to give Manracks the credit so that he can take the blame also.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #41946
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post

my 06 xrl before i sold it with 60,000 miles.
When are you getting another L Kubiak?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #41947
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I don't need no stinking credit. The final design may not resemble either one of ours. I think we are here to just give Manracks (Mike) ideas of what will be the final product. He told me the light went on when he finally got the strut back. We will have to wait and see what he has up his sleeve.

Let's be sure to give Manracks the credit so that he can take the blame also.

Cheers,

Mike

You're a wise man, Mike!

Spud
Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #41948
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
When are you getting another L Kubiak?
im not sure if i will in the future or not. right now i have the bmw 650gs and really like it too. i still love looking at the xrls thread though!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #41949
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
You need to build a CW powered L in Dakar trim. Heck, CW was even going to work on some low boy pipes.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #41950
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
You need to build a CW powered L in Dakar trim. Heck, CW was even going to work on some low boy pipes.
Oh Jesus... a CW powered, Kubiak styled XR650L?

CALL HONDA!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #41951
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 407
Question

Quote:
Needless to say, I am very happy to see winter recede, OnO.

Spud
Fellow Spud here. Hey, are you currently in Idaho Falls, because I think I see Taylor Mtn. there in the background? I grew up in IF, and I'll be back in town this summer, and looking to buy an XRL. I'd love to chat about the bike with you, particularly the used one at Bill's Cycle in IF.

By the way, this pic made me homesick. I miss the open country and endless dirt roads.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #41952
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Fellow Spud here. Hey, are you currently in Idaho Falls, because I think I see Taylor Mtn. there in the background? I grew up in IF, and I'll be back in town this summer, and looking to buy an XRL. I'd love to chat about the bike with you, particularly the used one at Bill's Cycle in IF.

By the way, this pic made me homesick. I miss the open country and endless dirt roads.
Welcome! I'm not in Idaho Falls, but I'm nearby. I'm not familiar with Bill's Cycle Shop in IF, but I'll be glad to chat with you when you return to Idaho. Send me a personal message when you get back.

Spud
Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #41953
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Spud,

After doing the battery relocate, which side cover did you end up using and how does it mount up to the frame?

Taco

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #41954
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Oh Jesus... a CW powered, Kubiak styled XR650L?

CALL HONDA!!!!!!!!
that would get me back on the honda! i was concerned about the cam and rocker wear on the xrs my friends and i owned, they seem to be the only thing that wears on the motor. im sure a cw motor would keep going for over 100,000 miles no problem!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #41955
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Spud,

After doing the battery relocate, which side cover did you end up using and how does it mount up to the frame?

Taco
I bought an OEM side cover for a year 2000, XR600R. It fits great! Instead of frustrating myself playing with the stock side cover, I never fiddle around more than ten seconds installing the XR600R side cover.

Spud