User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Day 5 continued

While I was heading up into Yellowstone I saw a ton of signs. You know the signs that say "Deer crossing next two miles," Well I check my odometer and literally in two miles there was another sign that said the same thing. This was common. There were also a lot of those radar speed limit signs. I didn't show up on any if I was behind cars. I decided I would check my speedo but that meant passing the cars. when I got to the sign, it just flashed red and blue. One sign even had attitude, It read "Bears with cubs crossing next ten miles. So slow down Cowboy!" I didn't even see a squirrel in the next 24 miles of slow riding I did. Was that necessary? It was a fancy electronic sign on a trailer that probably cost more than $10k.
I think all of the radar exposure was making me irritable so I decided to Hell with Yellowstone and beat cleats Northwest; and you know what I got? Northwest weather.
This was entering Idaho from Jakson. There were quite a few lightning storms around but the rain was mild.
Idaho is cool because there are dirt roads everywhere and they all lead somewhere. After a few miles on this one I decided I was too ambitious and turned back for the main road. I headed towards American Falls. On the way there I saw a billboard that said "Yellowstone Drive Through Bear Park." I thought "that sounds lame" then I passed the park along the interstate and it looked way cool. I saw an albino reindeer, several moose and a few bears all while cooking along at 70 mph. I should have stopped.
It was dark by the time I got to American falls and I had no idea where to sleep. I found an rv park that was open and being used but I saw no information or anyone running it. I saw a sign for a self pay, but then no pay station. It was Willow Bay recreation area. I left a little confused and began down a dirt road nearby. I stopped and planned on setting camp there but while I was peeing I could see and hear several rodents running along the ground. This place was littered with little critters, I also heard two guys in the field speaking what might have been Italian but they were hard to hear. I started the bike and got out of there. I saw two guys running into a wooded pathway. I rode back to the rv park and slept on another picnic table. I chose the one furthest from the RV's and closest to the field.
I heard a coyote right along the edge of those bushes, also my air mattress developed a leak. It was slow enough that I could fall asleep before becoming uncomfortable.

"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 08:33 PM
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,319
excellent

"...Idaho has a ton of dirt roads, and they all lead somewhere"

Love the idea that you didn't just slab it home
Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Day 6

I rode out of American falls and towards Boise. I wanted to go on hwy 55 to hwy 95. I wish I could remember but I stopped early that morning at a conoco gas station and inside there was a woman who had cooked breakfast burritos and giant cinnamon rolls for $2. I got a burrito. It was good.
I got an apple and some hotdogs here and took a lunch break on some nicely watered grass next to a tree. I love just having the time to relax.

I got to hwy 55 and it was great, just what I needed. It went along side a river and had many high speed corners and not much traffic. I like rivers as scenery for some reason. I was feeling good and cruising, not a cop in sight. I came around a corner to see a fellow rider. I thought I was fast when I stuck out my hand to wave mid-turn but he had some serious reaction time and gave me the universal head tap (police).
I slowed down and put my hand on my thigh and enjoyed the scenery. Sure enough a mile later there was a cop waiting. He pulled out and headed away from me and I continued to try and wear the flat pattern from interstates out of my rear tire.
This was kind of a neat old Jeep truck so I took a pic.

I set up camp along this road.
This was called Rattlesnake camp. I saw a snake but it wasn't a rattler. I decide to call it early so I could take it easy and roast my hotdogs. I stopped at about 3:45 and got all set up. There were some clouds in the air so I thought about shelter but decided if it started to rain, I would just pack up and keep riding.
The last stretch home will come tomorrow.

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 08:36 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
excellent

"...Idaho has a ton of dirt roads, and they all lead somewhere"

Love the idea that you didn't just slab it home
Well I did, but I got bored often.
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Final day.

I hit the hay at 6:30 cause I was good and tired. At about 7:45 I felt one good drop of rain on my face. I jumped up started the bike. I packed furiously and rode on into the night. I should have gotten something for shelter but I decided to risk my last night. I rode through Grangeville and into Lewiston in the rain. In Lewiston I stopped for Mcdanalds cause they were one of the only places open. I filled up at a gas station and the woman working inside let me charge my phone while I repacked some of my gear. It was about 12:30. I left Lewiston and into Asotin. I was going to go to a campground but there was a detour that bypassed the road I wanted. I ended up camping at a boat launch that night. This was my last night on the road. I didn't make a jacket tent for my head and ended up with a few small bug bites on my forehead that were barely noticeable. The rain had stopped enough for me to sleep, and then started around 6:30.
The final ride home was crazy miserable.
I won't go into detail about the route I took, but it was the wrong one, and added a few hours to get home.
The wind and rain in in eastern Washington was relentless. I got as little as 35-45 mpg for a few fill ups because there was such strong headwinds. I stayed in full tuck the entire way home and followed many larger vehicles just to escape some wind. My rain gear was soaked clear through and I forgot to grab some bags to go over my socks. The strain of holding the helmet against the wind really made my head and neck sore. I went up a steep hill and then had to give it even more throttle to go down. At some points in the ride, I would turn so that the wind was behind me and all of a sudden everything went calm and quiet; all I could hear was the drone of the bike. I looked down and saw I was doing 70 mph and my jacket didn't even flicker. This only lasted a few hundred yards but it was kind of interesting and a really nice but short lived rest.

I didn't take many pictures because I didn't want to soak the camera, however, I pulled over in a big gravel driveway to add some of my reserve fuel and the thing that I was trying not to do the whole ride happened. Yup I dropped the bike. This poor bike is getting a warm welcome to it's long and sorry life ahead. There was nice gravel that I didn't notice transition into nice mud.

After a couple hours I began to lose some motor function in my hands and feet so I stopped at a rest area. There were a lot of people but none of them noticed the second bathroom. I stayed in there for at least 30 minutes and used the directional hand dryer to warm up. If you keep them running for a while they get nice and toasty. After a good morale boost I rode most of the way with only one minor inconvenience; I got pulled over for no license plate. Just a warning was issued after I explained the situation. It was a state patrol officer, a young guy, real nice. I got home at supper time and mom had stir fry ready to go. Mmmmm.....real food!

I started with 1400 miles on the bike and ended with 3776

That's all folks.
(pardon the grammar and punctuation)

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:31 PM
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #21
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
Great report! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your new bike.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
yea awsome! now youll know what to bring next time too ;)

nice flowing story with the pics too
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #23
GratefulKicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
great ride report and photos! Enjoy the WR250!!
GratefulKicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

The Bike

I should talk about the bike.
I came from an xr650r so I knew to lower my power expectations. I also knew that they weighed about the same. That being said I noticed a lot of things that Yamaha did right to make this a multipurpose long lasting bike. It's geometrically simple, the rear brake cylinder is tucked behind the frame well, the brake pads themselves look like they have more material on them than a normal bike, the shift lever is just a simple steel one that you can replace for less than half of what my xr one cost, the dash computer works well, is compact and convenient, It has electric start, a beafy triple clamp and frame, a large stator compared to a dirt bike, and I love 6 gears. It also had some things that seemed cheap, like the clutch and break perches. I wish it had a kick starter so I could start it like a BOSS. I miss my one big leg.
I'm hoping that this bike will be the economical choice yet still get the job done and be enjoyable because I can ride it rather than mess with it. As one adver put it: "The tortoise will catch the hair, eventually."
Thanks
Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:33 PM
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulKicks View Post
great ride report and photos! Enjoy the WR250!!
How do you like the g450x? I have just now started to see them around.
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,638
Nice report JM. Glad you made it back in once piece. Moab looks awesome!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #27
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I really enjoyed this. Good job! You will remember this ride for the rest of your life..... Good luck with the bike in your future!
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Thanks guys! It was a good riding experience.
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post
Thanks guys! It was a good riding experience.
Dammit Jesse, I would have gone with ya. We could have 2-up'd there and then rode back. Anyway's glad to hear about the new bike. Scott told me about this thread. Wish I had seen it earlier. Nice report buddy. Check your PM's.... John

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 582
Nice one Jesse and great ride report.

I think we are going to have to start a 'donate your old riding gear to Jungle Man' thread though . Them 'riding shoes' don't look like they offer great protection!

S1