ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #271
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 812
Drowned Bikes, whoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seavoyage View Post
... Rode up yesterday tracing SFMCjohn's proposed route from SF through Knoxville OHV, Cache Creek to Rd-41, Leesville R. to Stonyford, M5, Bartlett Springs rd. to Upper Lake ... A couple of low sides, and 2 drowned bikes around slowed us down.
Hey Seavoyage,

Let's hear more about the water crossing ... sounds dramatic!

If you guys did the water crossing I'm thinking of, it has caused some of my riding buddies a lot of grief in the past ... short, steep climb out of the water to Bartlett Springs Road?

I'm really looking forward to some camping! Here's some pics to help motivate me to get up and out of bed, and on the road early ... fire-towers!


The lookout near Deer Valley/Sky Rock/Windy Ridge ...


Pine Mountain ... you can rent this one, so I only go up to it if no one is there, so I don't disturb folks who have reserved it ...

I think there is some sort of tower to the north west of Lake Pillsbury that you can see from Hull Mountain ... but maybe I'm confused ... Signal Peak?

I want to try to get up to the Anthony Peak fire-tower, up by Mendocino Pass, and there are a couple further north at Eagle Peak and Tomhead Saddle that I've never seen ...

See you all around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
A Small Wedding ADVenture; My BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #272
stuntcrazy
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Los Altos
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
heading up friday morning, planning on riding Hull mountain then I think take trail 60 back, anyone is welcome, I wait at intersections.

is it Charlies ride? we should do that one :)
stuntcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #273
Eggroll
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
"anyone is welcome, I wait at intersections"
.
These words are music to my ears......

Eggroll
Eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #274
stuntcrazy
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Los Altos
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
These words are music to my ears......

Eggroll
mine too... but am super noob who just wants to do everything technical! he might have to wait couple of minutes more than usual :( right Captain?
stuntcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #275
r3r3r
Wildebeast
 
r3r3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntcrazy View Post
mine too... but am super noob who just wants to do everything technical! he might have to wait couple of minutes more than usual :( right Captain?
If you're a n00b, then I am just slow...

Either way, I try to keep up.

I'm getting excited as this gets closer. Only a couple of days now!

I am headed up on Thursday and am open to riding pretty much anything a 650 can handle on Friday and Saturday. If conditions are good, and we can get a group together, I would like to ride around Snow Mountain Wilderness on one of the two days.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #276
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Capt.saveaho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntcrazy View Post
mine too... but am super noob who just wants to do everything technical! he might have to wait couple of minutes more than usual :( right Captain?
G you're good, if it takes over a minute I'll turn around and rescue ya. I ain't leaving you to the pot farmers.
__________________
2007 525exc
2011 990 Adventure with 08 S suspension!!!
13hp road race 50
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #277
stuntcrazy
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Los Altos
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
If you're a n00b, then I am just slow...

Either way, I try to keep up.

I'm getting excited as this gets closer. Only a couple of days now!

I am headed up on Thursday and am open to riding pretty much anything a 650 can handle on Friday and Saturday. If conditions are good, and we can get a group together, I would like to ride around Snow Mountain Wilderness on one of the two days.
Randall - am looking forward to ride with you. :) .. we can go on capt. ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
G you're good, if it takes over a minute I'll turn around and rescue ya. I ain't leaving you to the pot farmers.
Erik .. i need to learn a lot buddy! :)
stuntcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #278
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Capt.saveaho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntcrazy View Post
Randall - am looking forward to ride with you. :) .. we can go on capt. ride



Erik .. i need to learn a lot buddy! :)
In time. I've ridden a lot and have gotten hurt a lot. I missed this trip last year because of it. That being said lets all ride safe and not faster or harder then needed. Please make sure I am reminded of that too.
__________________
2007 525exc
2011 990 Adventure with 08 S suspension!!!
13hp road race 50
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #279
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BogeyMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sac-o'-tomatoes, CA
Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
If you're a n00b, then I am just slow...

Either way, I try to keep up.

I'm getting excited as this gets closer. Only a couple of days now!
And if you're slow... well, I'll just try and keep up too.

Looking forward to a [dis]organized ride Friday. Even a couple of hours Thursday a'noon would be fine. Saturday's wide open. I'll have to spend some time with the missus & daughter, but an hours or three excursion would be good.

If all goes according to plan (yeah, right ) - I shall arrive early to mid afternoon Thursday...
__________________
'06 BMW R1200GS - '11 Husaberg FE570S - http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #280
r3r3r
Wildebeast
 
r3r3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntcrazy View Post
Randall - am looking forward to ride with you. :) .. we can go on capt. ride
Sounds like a plan, G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
In time. I've ridden a lot and have gotten hurt a lot. I missed this trip last year because of it. That being said lets all ride safe and not faster or harder then needed. Please make sure I am reminded of that too.
I hear you on that as well. I can usually keep a good pace. I'm not familiar with the territory, so I am glad to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
And if you're slow... well, I'll just try and keep up too.

Looking forward to a [dis]organized ride Friday. Even a couple of hours Thursday a'noon would be fine. Saturday's wide open. I'll have to spend some time with the missus & daughter, but an hours or three excursion would be good.

If all goes according to plan (yeah, right ) - I shall arrive early to mid afternoon Thursday...
I'm sure we'll be able to get a good group together and have a blast riding around.

I'm hoping that the moisture predicted to sweep through Thursday is minimal so it is not a mud-fest for Friday.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #281
SanGJan
Janet
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: San Geronimo
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Throwing this out there one more time since no-one responded earlier...

Are there any dirt newbies or anyone riding non-plated bikes? My wife and daughter are coming along and I'll be spending some of the time with them, looking for easy dirt stuff...
Hey Bogeyman,

Looking forward to seeing you in a few days. Like Dean said, we are all still on board, me, hub and 9 year old kid with his 70cc. It will be nice to have some more families up there. See you soon!

--Janet
SanGJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #282
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BogeyMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sac-o'-tomatoes, CA
Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanGJan View Post
Hey Bogeyman,

Looking forward to seeing you in a few days. Like Dean said, we are all still on board, me, hub and 9 year old kid with his 70cc. It will be nice to have some more families up there. See you soon!
Likewise - I'll be arriving Thursday with the bikes & supplies for the family. Wife & daughter should be arriving Friday evening. Assuming they don't get lost . I have made great effort to outfit them with detailed directions... .

Keep an eye out for us - grey F250, RV/Toy-Hauler with the "Ass Family" sticker(s) on the window (you all know the Ass family - Wise, Smart, Kiss...).
__________________
'06 BMW R1200GS - '11 Husaberg FE570S - http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #283
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BogeyMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sac-o'-tomatoes, CA
Oddometer: 428
Question Site amenities?

Quick question for anyone more familiar with the campsite than me - I assume there's potable water on-site? Don't want to haul the RV in with full tanks. If I can fill the tanks on-site, that'd be great.

AFAIK, there's no showers, just the basics. Correct?
__________________
'06 BMW R1200GS - '11 Husaberg FE570S - http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #284
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Quick question for anyone more familiar with the campsite than me - I assume there's potable water on-site? Don't want to haul the RV in with full tanks. If I can fill the tanks on-site, that'd be great.

AFAIK, there's no showers, just the basics. Correct?
Water at both the ADV group tent site and fuller grove rv sites

No showers but a very big cold lake

We will be at the RV side too we bring a solar bag shower it's much more comfortable than jumping in and out of the lake soap on soap off

Basic hole/pit out houses
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #285
Titus58
Adventurer
 
Titus58's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 20
Hey all – a barfer here who has fallen in love with adventure riding and dirt…looks like I need to be spending more time on ADV rider and less on barf lol. Looking forward to meeting folks @ Mendo

I’m riding up Thursday early if anyone is looking for a riding partner – I should be @ San Rafael about 11:30am and am taking the shortest/easiest route in, with plans to make camp early, unload, and then go exploring, weather permitting

I’m a beginner/intermediate dirt noob who loves a challenge (within reason ) .
Hit me up if you’re up there early and want to ride!


T
__________________
__________________
2002 Vstrom DL1000
Titus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014