ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #106
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
I'm not 100% due to job requirements (on standby waiting to head to an out of state job site) but it looks like I'll be in NC until early next week. Assuming that's the case I'll be trailering over early Fri am, riding Fri, then trailering home sometime Fri nite. Since I'll be out of town for most of May I'll probably spend Sat/Sun with the wife/kids.

Bill - you should join us on Fri. Joe's told me an overview of his planned route and I've run some of the rougher bits on my KLR. If I can bounce through it then anyone can.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #107
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
.. well then ..

.. lol .. since we're going to Graham and all .. lol .. I'll bounce along with you guys .. I'll get with Dan (ThrottleDan) and we'll firm up our travel plans .. I know he would like to go on the Friday ride (and he has some dirt experience that I lack) ..

.. I have a 14t front I can swap out fairly quickly and I'm waiting to see if the postal-dude shows up in time with another one for Dan .. he's stock, but has some off-road skillz I ain't gots (yet) .. lol ..

.. I can also drop my side cases in less than 10 min and stash them somewhere ..

.. see y'all Friday ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #108
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
ok im in

i'll be there thursday ride friday and saturday may run over and ride wyahutta ohv sunday morning

Don't tell me the skies the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Have you seen my marbles?
you can't be lost if you still have half a tank
save 5$ on smugmug.com coupon #----(DE9oGz4LoiNZA )
lostmarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #109
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,294
Thumb Lonewolf97

I'm trailering up from the Raleigh zoo Thursday with my fire capt. friend and his dad ( us old geezers bring older geezers) Should be there mid-afternoon, Pm or e-mail me instructions for the house and directions. We will unload the bikes and take the trailer back up to WCU for the girls to put their dorm stuff in. Any one for wings at O'Malleys Thursday nite are welcome to come with us. One more will be trailering up Fri. that gives us 3 riders for fri. 1 will find us somewhere fri afternoon. 4 riders Sat. I may 2up my daughter Sat. also. Can't wait to be back in the hills.
lonewolf97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #110
handlebar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey Joe !....... I I'll be commuting from Andrews to the cabins on Friday morning for the dirt ride. I've got to get back to andrews after the ride but may be in for Saturday if my bike and I are not too beat up...
handlebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #111
JoeWannaB OP
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
Hey Joe !....... I I'll be commuting from Andrews to the cabins on Friday morning for the dirt ride. I've got to get back to andrews after the ride but may be in for Saturday if my bike and I are not too beat up...
handlebar
We can meet you in Andrews since that's really where the fun part of our ride begins. That way you don't have to ride the same route through the gorge twice. We can meet you at the McDonalds in Andrews. That's where we'll be airing down our tires. PM me your cell phone number and I can text you when we leave the cabins so you don't have to wait around.

Everyone,

Plan on bringing plenty of water and food since it will be highly unlikely we'll be stopping for lunch at a restaurant. It just takes too much time from our rides. I will be planning on one gas stop Friday at Thunder Mountain on Hwy 143. Mark sells drinks and sandwiches so there will be an opportunity to buy food then.

A word about the open grill...

This will be a very loose pot-luck type deal. I'll have the big grill on the deck of the Nantahala House fired up with plenty of cooking space for a small army. Plan on bringing something to grill. If you bring brats, burgers or dogs, bring buns too. Bring enough for yourself and maybe a little extra to share. We can have sides like baked beans, potato salad etc. since we'll have the kitchen of the house at our disposal. Chips are always an easy choice. For drinks, it is BYOB and again, please bring a little extry to share. And lets not forget desert.

I'll try to have a pot of coffee on for Saturday morning. We'll gather at the bottom of the hill by the entrance sign. Kickstands up no later than 9:30 both mornings with a final meeting at the gas station on the corner for last minute fill ups.

For folks who want to meet mid day on Friday, PM me your cell number and I'll text you when we're getting close to Thunder Mountain. That is the best place to meet midway through our ride. You can get the address here.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #112
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Looks like I'm in town for another week at least. See you all early Fri am
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #113
JoeWannaB OP
Usually a nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Looks like I'm in town for another week at least. See you all early Fri am
That's awesome! I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #114
Whitebread117
I do what I want

ooohhhhh yeeeaaahhhhhh Can't wait. On the off chance that someone in the south Asheville area wants a ride over early Friday, I've got plenty of space on the trailer.

I will point out that the last time the Cabins Crew headed up Squally, the two KLRs bringing up the rear were the only ones to cross the log obstacle rather than using the bypass (the fact that we didn't see the bypass because we were so far behind the rest of you is irrelevant ). This time around I expect other hooligans to show off as well.....
Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #115
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

wheres this log at the dr would like some of that action

Quote:
show off as well.....

Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #116
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

sooo looking fowerd to this weekend see every one friday

Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #117
Whitebread117
I do what I want

half mile or so up Squally, during one of the (numerous) rocky sections while you're running parallel to Squally Creek, there's a stream that intersects at a 90 degree angle. It's bordered by a 14" or so diameter log on either side of this 18" or so wide stream resulting in a significant obstacle. If one were traveling up said rocky section of Squally in a post-rain fog with fogged visor making anything beyond 10' away invisible, one would arrive at said logs with little time to react other than consider hitting the brakes and bailing (with considerable pain involved), or gunning it and hoping for the best. Utilizing the massive torque of my 14T KLR I chose the latter and bounced up/over the first log with enough force to carry the gap on one wheel and set the front down on the far log, leading to a moment of unwitnessed glory as my overweight woods pig went where lighter faster bikes had bypassed. My companion from Kansas following me on his comparably heavy KLR, with no one nearby to show him the bypass I had missed, chose to follow me up/over with reckless abandon and thus his woods pig earned equal glory by going where others dared tread....

At least that's the much-glorified story I choose to recount. Since no one else witnessed the spectacle it counts as truth for now........ Y'all can watch me screw it up Friday and provide you a first-hand example of how not to do it - doubt I can pull off that stunt twice......
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #118
JoeWannaB OP
Usually a nice guy

Quote:
half mile or so up Squally, during one of the (numerous) rocky sections while you're running parallel to Squally Creek, there's a stream that intersects at a 90 degree angle. It's bordered by a 14" or so diameter log on either side of this 18" or so wide stream resulting in a significant obstacle. If one were traveling up said rocky section of Squally in a post-rain fog with fogged visor making anything beyond 10' away invisible, one would arrive at said logs with little time to react other than consider hitting the brakes and bailing (with considerable pain involved), or gunning it and hoping for the best. Utilizing the massive torque of my 14T KLR I chose the latter and bounced up/over the first log with enough force to carry the gap on one wheel and set the front down on the far log, leading to a moment of unwitnessed glory as my overweight woods pig went where lighter faster bikes had bypassed. My companion from Kansas following me on his comparably heavy KLR, with no one nearby to show him the bypass I had missed, chose to follow me up/over with reckless abandon and thus his woods pig earned equal glory by going where others dared tread....

At least that's the much-glorified story I choose to recount. Since no one else witnessed the spectacle it counts as truth for now........ Y'all can watch me screw it up Friday and provide you a first-hand example of how not to do it - doubt I can pull off that stunt twice......
I remember the log. I stopped and looked around for another way. It was wet and mossy IIRC and looked like a dumping for sure and I was on the lighter, more nimble 350. That was vary close to where we turned around. This time, we're going all the way baby!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #119
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,138
Cry Out

Sorry guys, I'm not going to make it. Was trying to squeeze in Saturday an it's just not working out. Hate to miss this, y'all take lots of pics.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #120
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
Sorry guys, I'm not going to make it. Was trying to squeeze in Saturday an it's just not working out. Hate to miss this, y'all take lots of pics.
You will be missed .. I'm not gonna pry, just hope everything is okay .. See you in the fall ..

Sent from RevBill's iPhone using Tapatalk .. Ride Blessed y'all ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote