ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #6616
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Had they fixed it at first, no worries. Fighting them for warranty work is BS.
So a fixed bike I'd trust. But too little too late now.
Oh sure...even fixed...no worries abt a motor BMW won't stand behind?...no worries about cheap chinese crap??? I don't think so...

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #6617
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Tales of BMW woe! I bought a 2004 K1200GT in early 2005. Put about 10k on it the first year and loved (still miss that bike). Then it started with the clutch, riding one day, suddenly have no clutch, pumped it for a while and it came back enough to get it to the dealer. John took it in the back and came back shortly saying it just needed bleeding, while knowing this was kind of BS I took the bike only to have them come to my house two days later to get it and replace the slave cylinder. Then I started having an ABS concern, coming down to a stop the light would start flashing and I would have no power assist to the brakes ( pretty big change on one of those bikes and kind of scary). I had to get BMW corporate involved to finally get it fixed, then like a week later I got on the brakes hard which engaged ABS momentarily. The ABS light came on and the fluid in the rear reservoir was low. I took it back to the dealer, they filled the reservoir, then when I asked them what happened (knowing that without a proper ABS bleed air can be trapped inside the ABS unit), John said and I quote "how do we know you did not tip the bike over". As the bike was flawless, as in literally not a scratch, I would have to say no not tipped over! That was the end of my BMW experience, sold the bike and bought weestrom.:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I suppose I could be a BMW hater after the serious lack of support they throw behind their product but I'm not really. I'm actually over it and on to the next bike (which will not be another BMW unless it's a pre 2005 model)

And as an advertisement for what might become my next big money bike...google the new KTM Adventure R 1090...KTM actually has several bikes in the works that will make BMWs "adventure" line up look like the Chinese scooters that they really are including the really cool looking 2013 model year 1290 super duke and 2014 model year Adventure 1290.

But in all seriousness I love the DR for what it is...simplicity and reliability. I was just thinking about that a few minutes ago as I was preparing the DR for a 300 mile ride tonight to grab the VA TOR. I did something with the DR that I was never able to do with any heavy-weight BMW I've ever owned...lean the bike over on the kick stand and spin the rear tire by hand while lubing the chain.

While I won't make it my mission to piss all over BMWs current low quality line up of bikes, they certainly did not do themselves a favor by pissing all over my warranty and telling me that a broken engine case isn't a covered item.

I would actually consider the DR650 to be of higher quality than anything BMW produces right now...but hey...I'm jaded...and they have flat out told me their engines won't last through the 36K miles they offer the warranty for.

What they really did say to me (and this blew my gasket) was that "it was a tough break and they felt for the expense of the repair". And I was like...um...aren't you forgetting that you warranteed this bike to be free of defects for 36K miles. But nope...warranty or not...I was told that a broken engine case was not a covered item by BMW and it was too bad that my F800GS ENGINE died at 28,7XX miles but they were not going to do anything about it.

....that's BMW Technical telling me they won't stand behind their own products, even during the warranty period...

...so much for the longevity of BMWs "UNSTOPPABLE" F800GS. Mine was stopped at just under 29,000 miles (the least amount of miles I've gotten out of ANY bike I've ever owned...even my Harley lasted longer).

...What a joke BMW has become

...it's laughable that they treat customers who spent almost 20K on a bike like they do...I should sue them to make them honor their own warranty.

HEY BMW -> Guess What -> This post will end up on the front page of Google Searches for the F800GS because everything that goes on ADV Rider is immediately caught by the web crawlers...

Oh and the weekend that I sold my F800 off for parts, I found 3 more engines up for scrap with the same exact crack in the same exact spot...hmm...hard to claim it's not a manufacturers defect now...or rather should we just call it what it is...cheap Chinese crap!

DRZ400E Tagged
KTM200XC-W

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #6618
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Unfortunately I don't have any tales of BMW woe, I haven't ever owned one. Wanted a few though (mostly older, a few mid 1990's were nifty too).

recently, they can also cause medical conditions...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1465033.html
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #6619
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

how does one go about proving they had a 2 year erection?...this sounds like something you'd find only in Calif.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #6620
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
how does one go about proving they had a 2 year erection?...this sounds like something you'd find only in Calif.
Well, you could start by looking at his bedpost.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #6621
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Friendly reminder, don't go tagging without gas, and without a wallet.

Damn it. Apparently the Sheetz on Capital won't sell me gas based on my charming personality. I probably had enough gas with what was in the tank and the change in my bag to grab it and head back to home to get my wallet, but walking SUCKS. So back home I came. :(
Maybe this afternoon if it's still standing.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #6622
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Doh.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #6623
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,726
Had to drive to work this morning, but getting ready to head home for lunch and grab the bike. That puts me about half way to the tag.

Just sayin' for anyone that might have forgotten their wallet earlier...

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #6624
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
To late. Already halfway there.. O that's right I'm not allowed to put the baby on the bike! Dangit!!

Sent from Chad's iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #6625
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Performance award...dangit

Got me a performance award coming home this a.m. and its gonna be a biggie...crap...dont NC drivers get a one time exemption from a moving violation? Pls advise folks...
Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #6626
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
depends on the citation. There is the Prayer for Judgement continuation.... http://everettlawfirm.biz/CM/Custom/PJC.asp

I have only had a few violations (well, 2). So I figure just getting a lawyer to represent me is easiest. has kept all points off the license, and off of insurance. That costs A LOT more than the laywer / court fees.

Had good luck with Sparrow Law Firm in raleigh.

Or, get rugby to represent you
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #6627
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
And never comment on anything, not to the police anyway. Don't deny anything. Don't admit to anything. Best policy is to say absolutely nothing at all --->any comment you make is ALWAYS on the record. Self incrimination is why most contested "performance awards" end up being upheld.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #6628
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Grab

Yeah, but my halfway is less than your half way.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #6629
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Tag 704

Too hot here. Let's head north.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #6630
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
Got me a performance award coming home this a.m. and its gonna be a biggie...crap...dont NC drivers get a one time exemption from a moving violation? Pls advise folks...

Like mentioned above, look into the Prayer for Judgement.

How big is the award?

Also, I do a lot of work with a lot of attorneys in Raleigh. If you're going to have to go that route, I can give you a very good recommendation.