Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #91
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs211 View Post
The weather you're having is the typical welcome to Oregon!! Question, where did you get the stickers of the states on your top box? Did they come as a set or individually? Looking forward to more of your RR!!!
The state stickers were purchased from an inmatem DeBandi. You can buy them individually or as a 50 state set. Here is the link to him in Vendors. Linky
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #92
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!

This photo shows what my day was like today. I left Lakeview, OR and it was cold! I rode up 395 to a little town called Riley. I stopped to get a coffee and warm up. The next gas was 27 mile away in Hines. I rode there and the front end started to feel a little like an airhead with loose steering head bearings. I pulled in to get gas and the attendant (in Oregon you have to have someone operate the pump for you) told me that my front tire was low. I checked it out and it was flat! I examined the tire and found a nail. I asked the attendant if he had an air compressor and, of course, he didn't. The closest motorcycle shop, according to the attendant, was 150 miles away with nothing in between. I had no choice but to plug the tire with a worm and ride on hoping for the best. Luckily I had my "CyclePump" from BestRest Products with me. I plugged the tire, pumped it up and rode 185 miles to Big Twin BMW in Boise, ID. I arrived at 4:30 and by 5:15 my GS was sporting a new front Tourance! I can't say enough about the service I received at Big Twin BMW! Thanks guys!

I found a cheap motel ($35) in a Mexican section of Caldwell, ID and even had to revert to speaking Spanish again at the restaurant next to the motel!

Tomorrow I will be heading for Washington State.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 08:31 PM
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #93
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Ha ! I thought you were going to say you ran over a screwdriver

Alls well that ends well. You probably needed that new tire anyway.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #94
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
You probably needed that new tire anyway.
Nope! The tire only had 4000 miles on it. If it had been the rear I would have just plugged it and rode it. Front tires are different!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #95
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I left Caldwell, ID and just rode, rode and rode. The most interesting part of the day happened when I rode through Umatilla National Forest. SNOW!

I rode on to Walla Walla, WA where I spent the night. I was kinda down. Six weeks on the road alone is kinda getting to me. Especially riding though such desolate landscapes such as the desert southwest and the Oregon Outback. I decided to head for Portland, OR and pick up the US 101.

I rode to Portland and stumbled on a replica of Stonehenge in Maryhill, WA. If I am not mistaken this was also mentioned in Neil Peart's book Ghost Rider.

The ride was nice. The road I was on followed the Columbia River.

I also got to ride by Mount Hood, OR on the way to Portland.

I made it to Portland where I will stay in a "flophouse" for the next two nights. I have a non-smoking room, but I think the previous occupant smoked like a chimney in it. Oh well, it's cheap!

As many of you know I am from Asheville, NC. Asheville took the title of "Beer City, USA" from Portland two years ago. Well, I had to try Portland beer while I was here.

I miss Asheville!!!!

Then on to 101 and the Oregon and California coast!

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 08:18 PM
Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #96
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,873
Wow, you are having a great adventure. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #97
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Portland, OR

I decided not to ride today and just give my butt a rest. I took a bus into downtown Portland just to check out the city. The city where I live, Asheville, NC, is often compared to Portland so I wanted to check it out. Once I got downtown I realized this was the farthest I had been away from my bike in over six weeks! Maybe I should change my Facebook Status to "in a relationship with a BMW".

The downtown area of Portland was nice. It was clean and had pleasant architecture. I thought it would remind me of Asheville, but it reminded me more of Hamburg, Germany. A lot of red brick and water features.

It even has street cars just like European cities.

Of course, I had to eat lunch at one of the ethnic food carts that are located throughout the city.

The city seems to have a large Asian population. Chinatown was quite large.

From what some of the locals told me I experiences typical Portland weather, on and off rain and sun all day.

Well the butt is rested and tomorrow I will head down US 101 towards California. My next "goal" is to visit Salinas, CA to visit the Steinbek house and National Center. I have been a fan of Steinbek since I was "forced" to read him in college.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #98
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post

Does anyone know where I go the idea for this photo?

Neil Peart's Ghost Rider

What do I win?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #99
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
You should check out Healdsburg in Sonoma County CA. Ride down along the Russian river. Pretty nice country.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #100
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Neil Peart's Ghost Rider

What do I win?
Winner! You get a free beer next time you are in Asheville!!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #101
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
You should check out Healdsburg in Sonoma County CA. Ride down along the Russian river. Pretty nice country.
Yeah, I've been to Sonoma before, just not on a bike. I'm getting ready to leave Portland in hopes of finding some warmer weather along the way. It's COLD for this southern boy!!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #102
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Oregon Coast

I left Portland in the cold and the rain and headed for Tillamook to pick up US 101 and ride down the coast. It was cold, grey and wet. From what the locals told me this is nothing unusual for this time of year.

I made it as far as Reedsport where I got a cheap motel with no Wi-Fi. It didn't matter, there was a Big Bang Theory marathon on TV and I have come to love that show. I had never seen it until I was introduced to it by my brother-in-law back on my visit to Texas six weeks ago. Finally a sitcom with some intelligence!

I got up early the next morning and headed for California. It was still cold, but dry. I rode through the Redwood forest and while they were impressive, I still think the Sequoias were more grandiose.

I'm going to hang out in this one horse town for another day and then start riding towards Salinas to visit the National Steinbeck Center. Maybe I should download Travels With Charley on my Kindle.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 08:17 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #103
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Garberville, CA

Well, it looks like I picked a good day to rest and write. In downtown Garberville it is rainy and cold. The heat is on in the motel room and the bike is getting its first real shower in six weeks.

This town must be on some kind of trail or something. Something like Hot Springs, NC and the Appalachian Trail hikers. There are a lot of backpackers walking around in the town. Some of them look like they have been hiking for months.

The Weather Channel says the next few days will be dry and warmer.

I know the bike is looking forward to its visit to San Diego after the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ. She is going to get fresh oil/filter, new gear/neutral indicator sending unit, rear tire, valves and throttle body sync checked, and I'm going to ask if having a rubber ring floating around in the gas tank hurts it or not. It seems that these monster pump handles in California pushed the rubber grommet on the gas filler opening into my tank. At least, I think that is what happened. It was there when I filled up in Oregon and after my first fill up in California it's gone.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #104
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,818
Kurt, great trip and great report!

I'll miss seeing you in Cruso next week, but, wow, what a time you're havin'.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #105
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Salinas, CA

I left Garberville and rode to Salinas where I will spend the next four days. I had my GPS set to avoid toll roads so it took me through Oakland instead of over the Golden Gate Bridge. I was not able to take any good pictures but I did take these crappy ones from across the bay of downtown San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Please don't tell any of my fellow photographers that I took these!

I made it to Salinas just in time for my favorite lunch while in the western states.

I'm really traveling slow now because I have to be in Flagstaff on May 17 and then ride to San Diego after the Overland Expo. I am trying to save my rear tire and oil until then. The bike is going to get a well deserved servicing in San Diego.