Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #121
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
[QUOTE=NJ-Brett;18538523]While 95% of guys on Harleys are not to be seen on the road when its nasty out, the only other bikes I see on the road when its nasty out are usually on Harleys.
It might just be that 95% of the bikes on the road around me are big twins, but there are plenty of hard core Harley riders.

I have a one piece cold weather suit, so its no big deal for me to be out when others are not, and most of the time, the other bikes I see on the road are on big twins.

And speaking of New Hope, I was once at Frans pub sipping a cold one on my way up to the Pocono's when up rolls a couple on two clean new BMW adventure bikes, wearing every piece of new gear on a 95F 90% humidity day.
Everything was spotlessly clean and they looked a little inept at bike handling when parking, but had the bikes all set up for a ride on the road of bones, or with the gear they were wearing, maybe some nasty single track.

And I was there, posing as a hopeless newb with my polo shirt, jeans and sneakers, on the mighty TU250.

Just like the people that need to dress like Lance Armstrong any time they get on a bicycle, we all have our uniform.

+1
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #122
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Hey, if you actually like coffee (drip coffee, black, no sugar), Starbucks is 9/10 the best choice on the road. I don't go in for anything else they make, except maybe a sammich if it is early.

Where I live, I've sorted the independent houses that suck from the ones that don't, but I don't have time for middle aged folks who think they can start a coffee shop because someone told them their folgers was nice one time. They never clean the pots and the coffee has a really good chance of tasting like bitter ass. I'd much rather suck it up and slurp some acceptable corporate coffee and get back on the road.

If you can't taste the difference, I wouldn't bother. I only can because I worked at a local shop for a year or so off and on.

I only wish their espresso was as reliable - most places can't pull decent shots for shit and have to cover them up with chocolate and sugar and crap.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #123
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 109
Talking

more assless-chaps for the curious

dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #124
zrxmoto
don't wanna be a n00b

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
Not in my case...

I did lots of research before I bought my KLX250S. There were basically 4 options to pick from... Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha. I picked the one that was best-suited for my application, and I bought it. Never even did a test ride, never went to *any* dealerships (except for the Kawi dealer... the day I bought mine). Pure, cold analysis...

Me thinks that dual-sport bikes need to be the exception to your rule...
I think it is great that you can make a motorcycle purchase decision using a methodology similar to buying toothpaste. That might of prevented some of the decisions about motorcycles I've made in the past.

But, I just can't do things that way, emotion always comes into play. I need to go to a dealer and look at the bikes.

I'm just shallow enough to admit that emotion, style, etc. all factor into my decisions about motorcycling. Logic is often chucked out the window.

Even if people say "they dont' care about style", in my opinion they've still made a decision about style.

I once wore my Olympia jacket into REI and a sales guys came up to me and said, "man you look like you're from the future!" I don't really want to look like a spaceman, so style does influence my decisions. I don't care how functional or protective some of these motorcycle suits/jackets/pants are, some are just plain ass gaudy.

Motorcycles aren't just "tools" to me. My belt sander is a tool. Motorcycles mean something very different to me.
2010 KLX250S

zrxmoto screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 07:27 AM
zrxmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #125
alexp206
Libraryator

Oddometer: 48
I live over the bridge in Lambertville and we avoid New Hope like the plague on the weekends. There's some decent roads in Bucks County, but between the traffic and the frequent potholes that will swallow your bike interspersed with the random patches of gravel in turns, I try to stay on my side of the Delaware when I go riding :)

That being said there are some nice bars in town where you can avoid the clubbing/tanning/Jersey Shore wannabe asshats and the HD Biker wanna be assclowns.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #126
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Now the posers have more than clothes to be posers with.
Fake kick starter for Hardlys...

http://www.alloutcycles.com/Bikers-C...ductId=7797550
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #127
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,323
$450.00 for a fake kick starter....
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #128
Tucos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
What's poser about that? My thumb gets tired from the frequent restarts so I can rev the shit out of it in the parking lot, now I can extend my throttle jockey ways with the use of my foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post

Tucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #129
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
We have a motorcycle clubhouse near here. Mostly wannabe Harley guys, not that it matters. This place has been there for several years now and I pass it on a regular basis. So I would say I have been past 1000 times or so.

Only once have I seen a motorcycle there. Ever. It is actually kind of a joke around here that they don't actually own bikes. Sadly, I really think they don't.

I tell my wife if we were to ride down there they would probably elect me President by virtue of being the only one that has a motorcycle. I am sure seeing my wife riding her own motorcycle would be more than they could take. Literally two bikes in the lot at once...inconceivable!
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #130
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,434
Trailering your jacket to bike night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-GS View Post
This is pretty funny...I live near New Hope, PA. The town is popular with motorcyclists, all kinds but especially weekend pirates (no criticism, just saying). So I'm walking down the street and this dude in jeans, S-kicker boots, bandana and Harley T-shirt pulls a leather riding jacket out of the trunk of his Toyota Camry, puts it on and heads down the block to Fran's Pub, where the other weekend biker-types hang out. This is better than trailering a bike to bike week!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #131
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:

Well this is gonna get the skinny jeans bobber crowd's mousse'd up hair all in a tizzy.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #132
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

That's a joke isn't it? A fake kick start on a "real" bike?

I think someone is trying to jerk our chain.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #133
mrduck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
You guys assed fer this.....

J Garcia
mrduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #134
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduck View Post
You guys assed fer this.....

That would be "NO!" Nobody asked for that. You seeking it out and posting it speaks volumes about you however. :ymca
Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #135
mrduck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That would be "NO!" Nobody asked for that. You seeking it out and posting it speaks volumes about you however. :ymca
Don't you know nuthin'?

Infamous record album art from a Van Halen album from "back in the day".....

damn kids nowadays....

now get offa my lawn

J Garcia
mrduck is offline   Reply With Quote