Nope, New Jersey Motorsports Park - VIP Garage
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #183
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Nope, New Jersey Motorsports Park - VIP Garage
I knew I recogized them. Yeah. VIP as long as you pay for them.

NJMP on the SV1K:

Misplaced picture for now.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #184
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze View Post
i love my sv1k and don't plan to sell it but the re-sale value really sucks on these things. It has to be one of the most underrated bikes out there. By the way, my bike has a zx6 shock (correctly sprung for me) racetech springs, buell pegs and heli-bars and it's an unbelievably capable and comfortable machine. Oh, and the I love the renthal kevlar grips too.

nother pic..
Wow! that looks great. I agree with what you said as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #185
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,228
Have a set of stock SV1000 cans for sale, make me an offer. See ad here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sv1000

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #186
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
If anyone is less than happy with clipons, convert to bars! I did yesterday and it is awesome. I can now ride more than 200 miles without my balls getting mashed and my back aching, and the bike is much lighter and maneuverable around town with the extra leverage.

I did it for about 150 dollars in the end, sv1000n triples, dl1000 clutch hose, sv650n brake hose
some brake fluid, grease, t40 security torx and 8 inch phillips screwdriver got it done

about 5 hours of work, some of it is a little tedious but not all too difficult

skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #187
pista
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirecs View Post

I did it for about 150 dollars in the end, sv1000n triples, dl1000 clutch hose, sv650n brake hose
some brake fluid, grease, t40 security torx and 8 inch phillips screwdriver got it done

about 5 hours of work, some of it is a little tedious but not all too difficult
I have a complete conversion kit in my garage ready to go. Actually started taking it apart only to find I can't undo the phillips screw in the bar ends. In any case I'm hesitant to swap it out because I've heard that the throttle cable replacement can be nearly impossible to swap out on the throttle body side. Did you find that to be the case?
pista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #188
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by pista View Post
I have a complete conversion kit in my garage ready to go. Actually started taking it apart only to find I can't undo the phillips screw in the bar ends. In any case I'm hesitant to swap it out because I've heard that the throttle cable replacement can be nearly impossible to swap out on the throttle body side. Did you find that to be the case?
I had to cut one of my clip ons because my bar end would not come off for it's life! We tried everything, even made a BIG groove with a dremel on the bar end and the thing with all the force in the world would not spin. Good luck with that. This was during my GSXR conversion (I had new ready to install woodcraft clipons anyway).
Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #189
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
i tried everything to get the bar end screws out, in the end I took an angle grider to them until the heads were gone and the bar end could slide over the shank

ruined the ends but whatever

I re routed the throttle cables from the throttle tube side after seeing the throttle bodies, it would be a tremendous pain in the ass to remove

so much so that I would try with the stock cables even if I had extended ones available
skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #190
DougZ73
Fading off.........

You can also turn the throttle tube set up so the cables come to the bottom instead of the top. That sometimes give you that extra 1/2 - 1" you need, to avoid getting longer cables from a place like Motion Pro.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #191
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
You can also turn the throttle tube set up so the cables come to the bottom instead of the top. That sometimes give you that extra 1/2 - 1" you need, to avoid getting longer cables from a place like Motion Pro.
I did this and it worked like a charm.

But I just ordered the motionpro quick throttle kit for the hell of it anyway.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #192
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 436
Quote:

I had to take a pair of vice grips and clamp the beast out of the bar end and break the screw loose with a screw driver while using the vice grips to unscrew the whole bar end. It went from stuck to off in no time with little effort.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #193
DougZ73
Fading off.........

I too had an issue with the bar ends weights( Busa ones) that I had installed on my SV1K clip ons. I ended up drilling straight through and inserting a screw drive to get it off, and it was still a bear.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #194
DougZ73
Fading off.........

If anyone knows where there is a clutch side cover, in good condition, please let me know. I have a good bit of corrosion on mine, and I need to take it off and repaint or PC it. I'd like to have another to either replace it with, or use in the interim.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #195
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,228
For those in NY: I had a custom license plate, "SV 1K".

Just a heads up that I didn't renew it, so this plate is back in circulation.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote