ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
I'm afraid that may backfire on him...He'll probably want both! I know I do...

So do I..But if I could choose only one? I'd take the SE cos it makes me smile more.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #32
Farmerboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
The SE guys will tell you they rule! The ADV guys will say they rule! I say it depends on what you want, a streebike that does dirt incredibly well, or a dirtbike that does street well. I have a 08 ADV S and it is very impresive on dirt, the harder you ride it the more it shines. I was riding my favorite gravel/blacktop road last week and the county was out tearing it up and had left two piles of dirt in the middle of the road about 10 to 15 ft apart and so I just doubled it, on my V strom I wouldnt have had that option, its great! Every time I ride it I cant stop smiling!
Farmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #33
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerboy
The SE guys will tell you they rule! The ADV guys will say they rule! I say it depends on what you want, a streebike that does dirt incredibly well, or a dirtbike that does street well. I have a 08 ADV S and it is very impresive on dirt, the harder you ride it the more it shines. I was riding my favorite gravel/blacktop road last week and the county was out tearing it up and had left two piles of dirt in the middle of the road about 10 to 15 ft apart and so I just doubled it, on my V strom I wouldnt have had that option, its great! Every time I ride it I cant stop smiling!
+1

Dont be bitchy
Smile.
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #34
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
So I got a question why is the SMR a 990 but the SE a 950? I mean is that 1 mm bore and 2.4 stroke really a game breaker off road? Isnt the motor in the SE the same motor in the 990s? Is there a big bore kit or anything out there? I'm just saying it's stupid that the SE is the only big ktm bike with 950cc. Any opinions?
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #35
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungStunt
...I'm just saying it's stupid that the SE is the only big ktm bike with 950cc. Any opinions?
When the SE was still being produced, it wasn't the only 950. You must remember that (to the best of my knowledge) the SE is no longer a production bike...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #36
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
For such small difference on paper, you wouldnt imagine the 2 bikes ride as differently as they do.

The SE is much nicer to ride offroad - the lighter front end is really noticeable.
In some respects, the SE is nicer on the road too - clean air & no buffetting.

Its worthwhile noting, that you can make an SE adv-like (more fuel range, more luggage carrying capacity, more wind protection) but you cant really make the adv SE-like - you wont get close.

That said, flip a coin. If it was the only bike you could own, either bike would be great. The only thing that really makes one bike stand above the other is if you really want an offroad bike. The ADV is great offroad, but the SE will always be better.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #37
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
When the SE was still being produced, it wasn't the only 950. You must remember that (to the best of my knowledge) the SE is no longer a production bike...

The SE is still on the KTM website. That means it's still in production right? You think KTM will rework the SE or Adventure anytime soon?
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #38
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy
... I have slabbed 800 mile days on the SE with the stock seat and survived! ...
Me too . I like the stock seat .
Great Bike
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #39
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,231
I'm in the same place as you. I haven't ridden either bike but am going to try to this summer. My wife has been riding with me on the KLR and really likes it. I was planning on the SE until she started riding with me. I am leaning to the ADV now for the two-up riding.

I like the idea of a used ADV and used EXC. I would like a smaller (liter) bike for off road riding. I'm getting to old to be picking up a 400+lb bike. If I lived near the desert a SE would be cool. But around here there is no off road riding within 3-4 hours and then it is mostly single track, I'll take a smaller bike and put it on the trailer.

I think you need to factor in your location too.
Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #40
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
The SE is still on the KTM website. That means it's still in production right? You think KTM will rework the SE or Adventure anytime soon?
The SE is not in production. Hasnt been for a year or 2.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #41
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,096
Quote:
So I got a question why is the SMR a 990 but the SE a 950? I mean is that 1 mm bore and 2.4 stroke really a game breaker off road? Isnt the motor in the SE the same motor in the 990s? Is there a big bore kit or anything out there? I'm just saying it's stupid that the SE is the only big ktm bike with 950cc. Any opinions?
Pro log, I could be wrong about the dates here.

There is a rally in Austria called Erzberg, Its kind of the off road version of the Isle of Man TT. The rally got huge media coverage in 04/05 with the likes of the top US racers competing, i.e. guys like Travis Perstrana who exclaimed they would come over and win the race, he failed on the first two attempts and had to retire cos its too tuff, 500ish start 20 or so finish. You Americans.

Anyhow there is an event called the Pro Log which is a 12km race up the side of a mountain, BMW turned up with an 1100 FI bike, KTM response was a 950 carbed LC8 based on their Dakar machine bike in 04 (same motor as 990. LC8). This is all about the time of legislation in Europe that all new road vehicles must meet curtain emission regulations, hence FI; the KTM 990 has always been FI. KTM got a concession to sell the SE with carburettors in limited number in Europe when it was first released in 05/06.

In 06 the 990 Adv FI was about the same HP as the carbed 950, but if you road both bikes the carbed bike still felt a bit faster. I haven’t ridden the latest Adv but I’ve been told its feels a bit quicker, with 115hp.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #42
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
I'm afraid that may backfire on him...He'll probably want both! I know I do...

Yes, my solution was a 690e and a 990 Adv.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #43
BAB's
Controlled Chaos

Oddometer: 33
Bringing this thread back from the dead... What'd you end up going with? I'm torn just as your were...

'07 KTM 950 SE
'06 KTM 525 EXC
'12 KTM 300 EXC
BAB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #44
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB's View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead... What'd you end up going with? I'm torn just as your were...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=130731

He still lists the Aprilia as his current bike.......so maybe neither.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #45
kengray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Still reviving this thread. I think the Adventure is a great bike, but just don't like large gas tank and abundance of body work. is it possible to replace the tank with the smaller SE gas tank?
(4) Vertematis 3-Supermotos 1-MX
kengray is offline   Reply With Quote