Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #31
Sidecardoug
Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer: 1,795
I shift my weight as well as using the throttle and brake. Hanging off has become second nature to me. The amount of hang off depends on the speed, the sharpness of the corner and if I have anything in the hack.

Sometimes it's just a shoulder shrug:

Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
Feedback Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I shift my weight a little but definitely don't hang off.

I find I can't control the throttle and front brakes if I'm too far over.

Also, I find that I need a lot of pressure on the bars. If my legs aren't squeezing the tank, I don't have enough leverage.

On a side note, my sidecar cg is extremely low as there is no tub. It is difficult to get it to fly unless extremely provoked because it is very wide. Often, I will be overcome by the force on the bars in a tight corner or feel drifting of the tires before the car comes up.
Feedback Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #33
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
Right on man.

Jeffygs - you're well on your way man. Took a friend for a very spirited ride tonight. Definitely so much easier to ride faster/harder with a passenger (monkey!) on board in the hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffygs View Post
Although I am a Noob I have done the reading, including the great yellow book, sidecar.com and have done lots of research on the issue of loading and driving tech and cg is something I understand well( cg vs stability vs maneuverability) . The handling of my rig is wonderful although I have nothing to compare it to(yes I did the realignment after I purchased it. It was all screwed up.) I only have a few thousand miles of diving a hack but try hard to get as much info as I can get I know now that it is experience that will matter most. What I was seeking is more information from knowledgeable people such as yourself and I know Claude is lurking also.
aQUOTE=GreatWhiteNorth;18584969]jeffygs - You really should read some info on-line to get a good understanding. The USCA site has free .pdf dowload of the Hal Kendall books. Very good reading - a "must read" for the novice IMO. USCA site is sidecar.com.

I try to keep extra ballast low and rearward in the car to help keep the C of G as low as possible. You gota be safe about what you use for ballast too. Lots of info here in this forum on that already... and on the USCA forums.
[/QUOTE]
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote