Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #496
2upAussie990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark or Jack View Post
I sourced some pure methanol today, it is difficult to get small quantities here in Australia but luckily I have a neighbour who races sprint cars and has a supply

The stoves worked a treat, they definitely need a wind shield but are a good piece of kit.
If you're bike starts to run low mate just pour a bit in the tank, just watch you don't miss the next servo though if you roar past too quick on the meth.
2upAussie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #497
Mark or Jack
BMW F 800 GS

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upAussie990 View Post
If you're bike starts to run low mate just pour a bit in the tank, just watch you don't miss the next servo though if you roar past too quick on the meth.
It's always an option

Are you using these stoves in Australia?
What fuel do you use?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #498
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Oddometer: 79
wind shield....my solution

Free bump because I love this stove!

So, yes, wind is a problem with any stove. Everywhere I've read, people are using random things as their wind block. I thought I might try one of these:

PIcked one up at my local mom and pop camping store (I like supporting small local business when I can) for 7 dollars. It folds up just as slick as it says.

You can see, these are designed for burning those fuel canisters from the buffet line. Shoots a single flame straight up. Great....but Stever Stoves have the flames from all around. First time I tried...lots of heat inside and not a lot up to the pot on top. So I played around with it a bit, and with some modifications (tin snips and a bit of a soup can) I came up with this:

And there it is cooking my udon noodles for lunch:

So the hole I cut is big enough that I can put a smaller pot right on the Stever for quick boiling water and the like, but small enough that my 8 inch frying pan sits on the coughlan's, not the Stever, and the heat gets distributed all along the bottom of the pan. The hole i cut wound up being 5.25" diameter. The soup can is 1" tall.

Early experiments caused some flaking of the paint. YMMV. I think i might clean it and use some bbq paint on it. We'll see.

Folded up:

Ok. Just an idea for y'all. It will get its first testing next weekend when my daughter and I camp for her birthday. I'll snap a few pics and post back.

Be safe all.

Noisymilk screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 02:35 PM
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #499
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
my new Steverstove

works great!

Initially I used some alcohol based, no-name brand automotive alcohol-based gas-line treatment that has been in my garage for 10 years (unopened). Result was a fireball the size of a melon.

Went out and found the recommended yellow bottles of Heet, and the stove works great! 2 cups of water was madly boiling in 5 minutes.

I have an ultralight MSR cannister stove which simmers well, and will come along for camping involving any real cooking, but for making coffee or tea, or just-add-boiling-water backpacking meals, the Steverstove is amazing. Maybe as a trail-side hand-warmer too?

jon_l screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 04:42 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #500
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
Shady - you note that 1.5 ounces of Heet burns about ten minutes; since 2 cups of water boils in ~1/2 that time, I wondered about using less fuel. When I tried it with 1/2 the fuel (1 tablespoon) it didn't boil the water before it burned out. I haven't have time to experiment more yet.

Is there a minimum fuel level or volume for the Steverstove?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #501
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Shady - you note that 1.5 ounces of Heet burns about ten minutes; since 2 cups of water boils in ~1/2 that time, I wondered about using less fuel. When I tried it with 1/2 the fuel (1 tablespoon) it didn't boil the water before it burned out. I haven't have time to experiment more yet.

Is there a minimum fuel level or volume for the Steverstove?

I have noticed when trying to burn very small amounts of fuel that I end up with the stove out of fuel before I get much done. So I just typically run the 1.5 ounce minimum except if I'm doing something very light duty, like warming a cup of water for instant coffee or something. Also, temperature and air movement outside affects things enough to where there's no hard and fast rule for how much fuel to use for a certain task. But if you fill the stove up towards the bottom of the radius on the inner piece, that's 1.5 to 2 ounces, and you'll get enough BTU's to boil a couple cups of water, a little lower level for smaller jobs. At 1 ounce or less, it just doesn't get going enough to do too much.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #502
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Got it

Steve,

I just received the stove today. It is so small and light it is great to add to the gear.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #503
FL_biker
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
Got back from my latest deployment in Mid-March, and FINALLY had time to open the stove pkg that arrived while I was gone.

Figured I'd give it a try inside:

They're gonna make a nice addition to my camping gear (got the simmer and regular stoves)

Thanks again

Dave in Tampa
(Formerly Dave in Dusty Doha, Qatar)

Ned Suesse on Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar: "You would have had to have been a blind monkey to get lost anywhere today!!"
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #504
BarKnee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Just wanted to say thanks for for offering up such a handy bit of cooking gear. I finally got mine from a friend who ordered each of us one a couple of weeks ago.

Here's my version of a burner base and pot platform to offer up a little more stability while I'm staggering around camp.

The drilled laminate reduces the likelihood of me tipping the burner over, gets warm to the touch but shouldn't burst into flames.

Made the grill low enough to offer support for the cup but allows it to rest on top of the burner, breaks down for easy packing.
BarKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #505
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Wow, that's a pretty nice accessory for his stove. Looks like it works pretty good!
Tony
Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #506
award900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Nice.
award900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #507
VG44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Ordered two; payment sent by paypal.

PM Address
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #508
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
I made a similar stove when I was in Iraq, but out of an aluminum can. Yours looks a lot better than mine, though! I used denatured alcohol in mine (it's what I could find). it worked just fine, but boy, don't let someone walk by while you're cooking in the daylight and kick the burner! Holy crap, you can't see the flames that are burning you! You should've seen the dance and run I did.

I do believe I'll be ordering a couple of these in the near future.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #509
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
I made a similar stove when I was in Iraq, but out of an aluminum can. Yours looks a lot better than mine, though!

I've talked to several service guys who said they made these out of various things when they were in Iraq/Afghanistan---whatever it takes for a hot meal!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #510
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Just ordered one of each.

I love simple, reliable stuff. These should suit me perfectly.
2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote