Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #436
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,354
I have the Puig screen on mine, Ermax also make one. I like the Puig, and much more stable once I'd added the Wunderlich instrument / screen supports. Not to big but just enough to knock the blast off. I ran with the stock cockpit screen for a couple of months when I first had the bike, but it's not enough once your going 70+. The small Puig allows me to sit at 90 comfortably, with minimal blast and noise. It's 2 poisition adjustable, moves my about 20mm, mines in the lower position.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #437
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,389
I like those bags, pretty cool.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #438
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
I like those bags, pretty cool.
They are Italian, the tank bag is a FAMSA FA270 Mini - it fits onto their standard FA244 tank bag base, I use the small one for running around day to day, and the bigger one on trips. Had it on a few bikes now, just switch the base out.

The rear carrier bag is also from FAMSA and is just handy for those bits and bobs I carry on the bike.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #439
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Back on page 12 I was asking about what type of crash bars were being used in a video (last post on the page). They turned out to be SW Motech's so I ordered some up. After 2 months of waiting for them to be imported I was very unhappy to find that they will not fit a 2012 model F800R. Over all the bars them selves were high quality and very well made. They are thicker and heavier duty steel than the OEM crash bars with a better paint job. But since this year the fairings run down along the radiator they conflict with the bars. I had to remove the fairings to install the bars and can not reinstall the fairings with the bars in place. Now I have to pay to return these things out of my own pocket and they aren't light. These bars WILL fit any bike prior to 2012 but will NOT fit a 2012 thanks to those extended fairings.

Edited to add that A&S BMW Motorcycles in CA where I ordered them from is awesome! Not only did Josue (sp?) act as my single point of contact and left me messages with status updates while they were being imported and shipped but he's also going to provide me a shipping label so I don't have to pay for thier return which is probably not going to be that cheap. Great service should always be supported.

EmanP screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 03:43 PM
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #440
EmanP
Adventurer

I post some pictures in this thread of the interferance issues and a comparison between the SW Motech's and BMW crash bars. http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...189#post635189
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #441
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 835
Too bad, SW Motech is a good company. The Wunderlich's were a bitch to fit too but are nice bars. Haven't had to rely on them for protection so far though, knock on wood. A&S is trying to make a business on the net so you should be able to count on them for customer service. Good for them coming through for you.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #442
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 281
Eek Ktm??????????????

Is BMW trying to be a KTM ??????????????????
Ha ha ha ha ha lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
I have the Puig screen on mine, Ermax also make one. I like the Puig, and much more stable once I'd added the Wunderlich instrument / screen supports. Not to big but just enough to knock the blast off. I ran with the stock cockpit screen for a couple of months when I first had the bike, but it's not enough once your going 70+. The small Puig allows me to sit at 90 comfortably, with minimal blast and noise. It's 2 poisition adjustable, moves my about 20mm, mines in the lower position.

Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #443
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
Anywhu, I'd be VERY careful with buying an exhaust for a parallel twin, and the BMWs sound make them even more 'specific', so you might end up with a very bad investment (subjectively).

I had a Remus on an F650GS and it sounded great. We had the Akra's on a couple at work and they sounded really good too.
Seems like what works on the boxers works well on the F series too.
Akrapovic and Remus sound the best to me too.

Hard to find a good sounding exhaust for an F series if you like the way
SV650 sounds, though.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #444
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
Is BMW trying to be a KTM ??????????????????
Ha ha ha ha ha lol
Not really, the colour is similar, but other than that it's comfy, fuels really well, doesn't snatch around town, has proper Brembo brakes with 4 pistons in each caliper, doesn't need a step ladder to get on, is economical and goes more than 130 miles on a tank of gas.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #445
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
Not really, the colour is similar, but other than that it's comfy, fuels really well, doesn't snatch around town, has proper Brembo brakes with 4 pistons in each caliper, doesn't need a step ladder to get on, is economical and goes more than 130 miles on a tank of gas.
And it doesnt need maintenance every 12 minutes.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #446
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
rear tyre replacement; trip planned

So, I think I used up 2 of my lives with the double flat tyre on my '11 f800r rear. The second, suspect patch, is no longer holding and I'm now looking to buy a new rear tyre (2600 miles on it).

I thought the factory tyres were ok, fairly sticky, no rear tyre chicken strips left, some on front. The front did get a bit squirrely a couple of times (suspension suspect?).

What is the general recommendation out there for a replacement rear tyre?

I am tempted to go with the Michelin PR2, which I have on my other (running) bike.

Incidentally, I'm planning a trip to Cloudcroft NM soon (when, which route, etc. ??) from the SF Bay area. So far I've only ventured into the PNW, and some CA Sierra wonderful rides - nothing in the S/W. Suggestions for that also welcome - I was thinking one week, but now think I should allow for more time.

Enjoy,
Ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #447
EmanP
Adventurer

Karhnage and I just did a instructional track day this last Wednesday and had our suspension adjusted by the suspension guy there. Hey cranked them way more than what BMW recommended. We had them turned to the recommended values and on his he cranked at least an extra 9+ and on mine it was at least an extra 6+ measureing the sag with and without us. Worked much much better. The suspension on these things is pretty bad, way too soft. I had the bike go squirrly under me a few times both in accelerating and in braking so I think it's the suspension more than anything.

What were your facotry tires? Our Pilot Powers are holding pretty good and they did great on the track. I was leaned over as far as you could lean that thing over without going down. I've been thinking about getting a set of PR3's in the winter because the amount of water on the roads we get out here but I'd imagine they'd wear out quick in any other season.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #448
gadgetguy1288
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
My F8R, before I installed the Wunderlich radiator guard and instrument panel reinforcers.

Also on the list of future mods:
-Slip-on Exhaust (haven't decided which yet)
-BoosterPlug
-Eliminate the tail on the back(should be done by the end of the week, I'm custom fabricating an aluminum bracket.)
-Ermax windscreen
-Engine Spoiler
-LED indicators and Taillight
-Red Shorty Pazzo's
-Solo Seat cowl
-Rear hugger

When I get the hugger, spoiler and seat cowl, I'm going to repaint everything to Black or dark silver more than likely

gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #449
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

So how many turns back, counterclockwise, from full on did he turn it?@
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #450
EmanP
Adventurer

Clockwise and I think the BMW recommendation was 11 and 12 for our height and weight if I remember correctly so what I wrote earlier was added to that.