User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Spencer54 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
New riding gear needed KLIM/Rukka/???

My kit is all worn out and leaking - I do mega mileage and basically live in the stuff three hours+ a day.

It's not really adventure spec required, but bombproof gear is required, as it needs to survive ultra commuting.

I looked at various stuff and the Hein Gericke gear left me unimpressed.
The Lindstrans, looked good but got leaky reviews.

I would love to be in the position to go and lay out 2000, but I'm not.

But I'll pay the dollar if thats the only choice I have, the Klim stuff looks the nuts and seems to fit the bill.
Its just painful its half the price in the US compared to GB.

What do you think, I'm getting tired of crutch puddle.
Spencer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
cjb4u
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have had good luck with firstgear. My kilimanjaro jacket is now 10+ years old and is now starting to leak but has held up great. I have never once applied any more water guard. Which is what I will do this and see how much more I can get out of it.
cjb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,236
Rukka. Buy it in Germany. $1,700 for jacket and pants. Total protection and waterproof without liners. $$$ and worth it.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Spencer54 OP
Adventurer

Question

Seen Rev'It gear locally is that any good.

Rukka is the obvious choice, but getting it from Germany is a great idea.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Rukka makes Rev'it look like Fieldsheer. Once you go there, there's no going back. However, I'd only say that about the ProShell stuff. The rest is well made, but grossly overpriced, and not worth it.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer54 View Post
But I'll pay the dollar if thats the only choice I have, the Klim stuff looks the nuts and seems to fit the bill.

So, buy it from a US retailer. I'd recommend Atomic Moto. They are a vendor on this site and very good to deal with.

That's what I do - Klim costs 20% more in Canada, even though the US and Canadian dollars are the same. I'd pay a bit more to support a local seller but when a Badlands jacket is $899 US or $1100 Cdn, my fingers do the walking....

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
If you're spending that much on a suit, have a look at the spidi ergo 365 expedition pro or the clover road wp, for a whole suit, both cost around 1100-1300 euro, but they are also CE level 2 certified
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
Spencer54 OP
Adventurer

The Spidi looks nice - but I've not heard too much about it quality wise.
A friend who owns a KTM said that the Klim stuff is on his want list and it must be pretty good as the KTM shop has been robbed three times and it was the Klim that went - so someone knows something.

I would love to get it from the US and save myself a massive wedge - but I need a friendly dealer who'll send it as a gift which is a bit suspect, but 500 saving is no joke - its literally double in the UK.

Either that or I wait until I'm in the US next April, but I have serious crotch puddles as its rained non stop for six weeks here. Not bad for a country thats officially in a drought.

So Spidi/Klim/Rukka - just need to stump up the cash I guess
Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
I've been mulling over what the hell to get to replace my leather jacket and i've considered Klim, Aerostitch, Halvarssons, Clover, Spidi, BMG, Firstgear, Olympia, Rev'it, Motoport and probably a few others i can't think about, and i decided the Spidi was for me (but one downside is that hardly anyone stocks it, but I was going to europe later this year so i decided i'd visit their HQ and get one there - also gives me a chance to save some money)
The reason i was attracted to the Spidi rather than the Klim was that the Klim is made of gore-tex, which lasts .7 or so seconds on the CE testing machine (in comparison to the minimum 2.5sec the Spidi CE level 2 material lasted). IMHO I'd rather something that'd last longer in a crash not only for safety's sake but that it would have a better chance of not getting damaged and ruining a nice suit - or at least less damaged than Gore-tex.

I found specific information about the expidition pro hard to find, but i did find this thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643528
which answered my question of why does this jacket have a liner and not just 100% outside waterproofing - the answer to which being that spidi guarantee the outer shell for 2hrs waterproofness, but after that some water (enough not to be waterproof) slowly seeps through the seams and zippers etc which is not good enough, hence the liner.

And this post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=38 shows the test results for abrasion, impact and cut resistance
(According to spidi the CE level 2 armour has similar shock absorbing capability in comparison to their previous airbag jacket)

Lastly I also found this thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=spidi+ergo
It showed the venting system to me better than their website did. I think this style venting would be tops here where it gets quite hot and humid.

One other thing i liked about the ergo expedition pro is the removable pockets from the front (I don't know why but i just love the look of the massive pockets on the front of jackets)

Lots of people love the Klim gear, and that's fine - personal preference yada yada yada, doesn't matter what you get, as long as you're happy with it ( i just like the Spidi better)

Food for thought.
Max
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
sheikyabooty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer54 View Post
My kit is all worn out and leaking - I do mega mileage and basically live in the stuff three hours+ a day.

It's not really adventure spec required, but bombproof gear is required, as it needs to survive ultra commuting.

I looked at various stuff and the Hein Gericke gear left me unimpressed.
The Lindstrans, looked good but got leaky reviews.

I would love to be in the position to go and lay out 2000, but I'm not.

What do you think, I'm getting tired of crutch puddle.
Hey Spencer, Funny thing is not too long ago myself and my girlfriend were in the same dilemma stuck between RUKKA and Klim, we eventually went with RUKKA for a couple of reasons, one was that the RUKKA gear was tried and tested and we knew we would get something really waterproof, also the cost of Klim in the UK, they didn't do a womans version, and what really clinched the deal was that RUKKA has a 5yr warranty which they are really good with. If it helps myself and 'Pheebs' have made a few vids on the suits if that helps :) Forgive my lack of screen presence, it was running into the 3rd hour of trying to get the filming right! heres it is...

Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
If the price in the UK is double , use a freight forwarding company like shipto.com , they give you a US shipping address and then forward to where you are.
explodingmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Also Klim has a fantastic reputation for warranty return , I wouldnt be surprised if they surpassed Rukkas 5 years.
explodingmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 360
Stadler

If you're going to spend the coin, Proshell is the only way to go. Rukka is one choice, but somewhat lower down the price ladder is the new Everest from Rev-it with is also proshell and gets really good reviews.

Alternatively, I would look at Stadler from Germany. It's in the same ballpark pricewise as Rukka, and is really, really well made. I was humming long and hard about what to get (wet crotch was the motivating factor for me too) and the choices were Rukka Armas, Klim Rally, or Stadler Concept.

I ended up with Klim because I wanted something dual sport oriented, but if on road mileage is your focus, the Stadler Airgate Pro or Ace Pro might be worth a look (both Goretex Proshell). On some pieces Stadler offers 10 year warranty (yup, 10!!!), and they recently upgraded the internet site so its definitely worth a look. Being an EU supplier, you won't get hosed on duties and the like, which is small consolation.

Terence FFM screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 06:37 AM Reason: wanted to add some relevant info
Terence FFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
Spencer54 OP
Adventurer

Rukka I had when I was a despatch rider so I know it can take it although we never spent 1000 on a jacket back then and they never leaked. I did hear that Rukka's have repaired under warrenty a jacket that was 7 years old and also one that was crash damaged for a very small fee. Thats customer service and goes a long way.

Again today it p*ssed down and I arrived in ball soup - so I either raise the money or buy something temporary until I decide.

I've bought the Klim gloves and they're on there way - so I'll see what the attention to detail is with Klim.

I wil check all options as "bargain" is my middle name