User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #1486
HarveyM
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Irony

Canada looks to be getting the Manual box with ABS in both X and naked models.
Too bad the double clutch isn't listed and with my bad wrists I'd really like that for light touring.
HarveyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #1487
sprale
Tu ne cede malis...

Oddometer: 319
As nice as it is to see a new Honda come to the market, this one is just not for me. I'll stick with my Strom for a while longer. The storage thing is neat, but I still like being able to refuel without dismounting. I think I simply prefer a traditional layout. A nice luggage kit and I can carry a week's worth of groceries, or a couple cases of beer.

About the only new Honda that excites me today is the Dullville. I finally had a chance to fondle one at a local stealership and it was surprisingly comfortable, actually a nearly perfect fit for me. I'd have one of those as an urban commuter easily, maybe even as my next bike, keeping the Strom for the long stretches of gravel that coax me out of the city.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #1488
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
My local dealer said don't expect it until August. But he also said don't expect to see it in his shop without putting a deposit down.

I really liked that video. Considering it could pop a wheelie tells me it has more pop than my current sled, a Suzuki Boulevard C50. I think the bike will have reasonable performance but I just don't see it selling well in here in the states. This might be the bike for me. I almost pulled the trigger on a used Versys yesterday, but I am going to wait until I get to sling a leg over this bike.
That's kind of a crusty thing to say about a bike you cared enough to walk into his shop & ask about. I'd have responded with "That's O.K. you're not the only Honda shop around. I can always buy one from another dealer."

I realize this bike is brand new & 'Iffy" on how well it will sell but, a dealer rude enough to say that to your face is probably not someone you want to deal with long term. I've been known to drive a hundred miles or more to buy from a dealer/service department I feel cares about keeping me riding & not just selling me a bike.

I have a bad knee & before I buy a 700 X I'm going to have to sit on one to see how well it fits & if I feel I can add seat foam or lower the pegs without having to re-fabracte the shift & brake levers as well.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #1489
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
That's kind of a crusty thing to say about a bike you cared enough to walk into his shop & ask about. I'd have responded with "That's O.K. you're not the only Honda shop around. I can always buy one from another dealer."

I realize this bike is brand new & 'Iffy" on how well it will sell but, a dealer rude enough to say that to your face is probably not someone you want to deal with long term. I've been known to drive a hundred miles or more to buy from a dealer/service department I feel cares about keeping me riding & not just selling me a bike.

I have a bad knee & before I buy a 700 X I'm going to have to sit on one to see how well it fits & if I feel I can add seat foam or lower the pegs without having to re-fabracte the shift & brake levers as well.
If you want to guarantee a chance to sit on one, a deposit may be the only way you get it.
A lot of dealers are only going to get one or two and people are putting deposits on them already, myself included.
and I had to go 100 miles away for that guarantee.
After they get more, you will have a chance haggel, but I think they will be very scarce the first year.

turbodieseli4i6 screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 09:53 AM
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #1490
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDTDI View Post
If you want to guarantee a chance to sit on one, a deposit may be the only way you get it.
A lot of dealers are only going to get one or two and people are putting deposits on them already, myself included.
and I had to go 100 miles away for that guarantee.
After they get more, you will have a chance to hagle, but I think they will be very scarce the first year.
Yeah, the dealer I talked to (nice guy, straight shooter) said he couldn't get a straight answer from Honda, but that typically (for the last few years anyway) he gets new bikes in July and he only gets one.

He had some choice words for Honda putting out "new 2012" bikes 2/3 of the way through the riding season.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #1491
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Yeah, the dealer I talked to (nice guy, straight shooter) said he couldn't get a straight answer from Honda, but that typically (for the last few years anyway) he gets new bikes in July and he only gets one.

He had some choice words for Honda putting out "new 2012" bikes 2/3 of the way through the riding season.
My favorite Honda dealer isn't even getting a NC700 this year! This is the only bike that I have considered. I do understand Honda not flooding the market with them though.
If this bike is a flop, they could loose a lot of money.
So if they sell out fast and the dealers are screaming for more, then Honda will know they have a winner.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #1492
Dorsicano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Dude, the whole of the UK is only 893 miles .

If you do 500-miles in a european country, you end up in a different country. Maybe two.
You say! Many a Saturday morning I have gone riding in Luxembourg, and by the time I was back for lunch I had crossed into Belgium, Germany and France!
Dorsicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #1493
650rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Nc700x

I have one on order with my local dealer. They are telling me sometime in June. (good luck with that)

650rider
650rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #1494
Dorsicano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
storage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaawkDsFEYg

Here's one of the reasons why I bought the NC700X as a commuter bike. It's a frugal bike for the not-so-frugal rider.
Dorsicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #1495
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDTDI View Post
My favorite Honda dealer isn't even getting a NC700 this year! This is the only bike that I have considered. I do understand Honda not flooding the market with them though.
If this bike is a flop, they could loose a lot of money.
So if they sell out fast and the dealers are screaming for more, then Honda will know they have a winner.
There's a very fine line between cautious and costly. Too many bikes and they devalue. Too few bikes and they lose sales to the competition. Honda has a history of flooding the market. I think they are far more worried about lost sales than they are about having too many bikes in inventory, just like they always have been. The only reason this bike may be in short supply in the beginning is because a new bike is always in short supply as production ramps up. Unless it turns out to be the turd the DN-01 was, the price point will likely mean the first run will disappear quickly. After that supply should catch up and they should be fairly readily available. But that will be winter/spring of 2013.

For those who are waiting for a great deal, just how much do you think you'll reduce the purchase price of a $7000.00 motorcycle? $500? That wouldn't be enough to keep me waiting. If this were the bike I wanted and if it were available I'd buy it, discounts be damned.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #1496
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650rider View Post
I have one on order with my local dealer. They are telling me sometime in June. (good luck with that)

650rider
When you get it, let me know! I'll ride up from Alamogordo to check it out!
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1497
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Honda has a history of flooding the market...
+1

Remember the VTX1800 fiasco? Market flooded, Honda has a fire sale, early adopters got $$$ burned when they couldn't hardly give them away.

Don't ask me how I know.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #1498
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 554
A dullville with new plastic, still dull, parts bin design. The adventure motorcycle market is one of the fastest growing segments so Honda wants some of it. Unfortunately they are giving us a few new plastic pieces aimed to look like other adventure bikes, it is very disappointing. Over the past 10 years or so Honda more than any other japanese manufacturer has missed the boat with bike design for the US market. If you want to pose down the boulevard on a friday night on your pretend ADV plastic elephant then this is the motorcycle for you.
It is to adventure riding what the Mustang II 4 cylinder was to muscle cars. Honda should bow their corporate heads in shame, this is the best you can do?

limeymike screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 01:13 PM
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #1499
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
A dullville with new plastic, still dull, parts bin design.
I've been harsh on this bike, but it shares practically nothing with the deauville.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #1500
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
I've been harsh on this bike, but it shares practically nothing with the deauville.
And by 'parts-bin' he must mean 'new chassis using industry-first platform sharing'.

It has its strengths and weaknesses, but from an engineering and manufacturing perspective it could prove to be the way forward.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote