Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
Tupperware
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
Plus the camera will need to be extended out away from the house on some type of support rod??? to get good shots of traffic on the side walk.
I feel sorry for you. You are in a very tough situation. A camera extended on an arm such as you describe will probably become the new target for the rocks. Not sure why you think a "reaming" from the cops will have any effect on these kids. Presumably a decade, or more, of loving attention by their parents didn't instill any common decency in them, why do you think a 60 second lecture from a stranger would help?
Only way to get their attention is to cause the parents themselves actual grief. Make them reach into their wallets to repair damage, or miss work to stand up with their kids in court. Where are the rocks coming from? Any way to remove the source of ammo?
Around here, the school system would get their security folks involved as they are responsible for the kids from when they walk out the door in the morning to when they cross the threshold again after school.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #17
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,526
A 'sign' out front did wonders at our factory - stopped trash dumpers and was a lot cheaper that a camara!

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 06:04 PM
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,209
stay away from foscam. I bought three of them on Jan 1st of this year. In the first six months, I've had 4 failures. Each original unit has failed.

Turn around time for replacements is about 1.5 weeks. I normally get their confirmation that they've received my return 2-3 business days after UPS shows deliverying the camera.

The warranty is for 1 year, but after 90 days, you have to pay $7 for the replacement unit to be shipped.

My fourth unit is currently in their possession and they are estimating 30 days before they can send out a replacement, of any color.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,827
If they're school-age kids walking to/from school, take a morning/afternoon off and hang out with a decent camera and long-ish lens.
The headache of setting up a 24-hour system for something you know happens in a certain period of time seems like a waste of resources.

Game cams work well, but with their wide lenses you'll get better results installing them close to the location you want monitored.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
Here is what I do know and what I'd like for it to do. It will need to be in the AZ. sun. Hanging from the eave of the house. Possibly extended out a few feet so I can get a view of the sidewalk at the side of the house. It can be battery operated or I have household electricity near by as well. I will need the thing to record activity on demand or motion activated. Showing date and time. I don't need 23 hours or recorded non activity and 1/2 hour of activity.

Thanks
I use a program called Blue Iris that runs on my home computer and controls just about any type of network camera. It's only $40.

benefits for you:
1: you can set it to record when motion is triggered.
2: you can set a schedule, so that only that motion-triggered recording happens during certain times of the day.
3: if you install their smartphone app, it can send you text messages when motion is detected.
4: it can send you emails when motion is detected with a couple of still shots.
5: you can use a web browser to view your cameras anywhere, if you have a static ip or dynamic dns service(about $20/year).
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
facetjoint OP
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I use a program called Blue Iris that runs on my home computer and controls just about any type of network camera. It's only $40.

benefits for you:
1: you can set it to record when motion is triggered.
2: you can set a schedule, so that only that motion-triggered recording happens during certain times of the day.
3: if you install their smartphone app, it can send you text messages when motion is detected.
4: it can send you emails when motion is detected with a couple of still shots.
5: you can use a web browser to view your cameras anywhere, if you have a static ip or dynamic dns service(about $20/year).
I am going to look in to this!
Thank you
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,032
I have 7 foscams and blue iris and it works great. I have been running 3 of the foscams for 2 years now.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
facetjoint OP
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
I have 7 foscams and blue iris and it works great. I have been running 3 of the foscams for 2 years now.
Intense constant heat from the AZ. sun and the UV. factor is I am sure my worst enemy.
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote