Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #1501
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
That's kind of a crusty thing to say about a bike you cared enough to walk into his shop & ask about. I'd have responded with "That's O.K. you're not the only Honda shop around. I can always buy one from another dealer."

I realize this bike is brand new & 'Iffy" on how well it will sell but, a dealer rude enough to say that to your face is probably not someone you want to deal with long term. I've been known to drive a hundred miles or more to buy from a dealer/service department I feel cares about keeping me riding & not just selling me a bike.

I have a bad knee & before I buy a 700 X I'm going to have to sit on one to see how well it fits & if I feel I can add seat foam or lower the pegs without having to re-fabracte the shift & brake levers as well.
Due to this and some other reasons I made the decision not to deal with this dealer some time ago. I go in there every now and then to see something I might like to buy from another dealer.

That said, the more I think on it I may put a deposit down on one to make sure I get it. I am about sold on it, but I need to kick it around a little more. I called another dealer that is about a little over an hour away to ask about it. He told me that he would be getting some in, but couldn't tell me if they would be the manual or DCT versions. So I'm not taking a chance on a deposit with that dealer if he is going to try and stick me with a DCT.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #1502
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
You can specify which you want in the deposit agreement. Usually even the color.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #1503
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
And by 'parts-bin' he must mean 'new chassis using industry-first platform sharing'.

It has its strengths and weaknesses, but from an engineering and manufacturing perspective it could prove to be the way forward.
Platform sharing by definition is using something you already have, ie, in the parts bin. It also means they are cutting costs and using generic design, ie 'sharing'. When striving for generic or sharing it is hardly the way forward in design, it is a compromise. It's a CRV in motorcycle form, not a true 4x4, It doesn't excel at anything but does most things OK, but it is profitable, designed by accountants

limeymike screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 03:05 PM
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #1504
mattness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
dealer told me july
mattness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #1505
richnyc
Vagabond on a bike

Oddometer: 37
The NC700X test from the Ride magazine

If you guys are interested, I have uploaded the review from the Ride UK mag, I think May '12 issue. Just took snaps with my iPhone, but it should be fairly readable. Right-click and download full rez files... Enjoy it;)

Honda_NC700X_test-1-2.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/2197369...X_test-1-2.jpg

Honda_NC700X_test-3-4.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/1622996...X_test-3-4.jpg

Honda_NC700X_test-5-6.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/2569640...X_test-5-6.jpg

Honda_NC700X_test-7-8.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/1334567...X_test-7-8.jpg

Honda_NC700X_test-9-10.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/1007449..._test-9-10.jpg

richnyc screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 07:17 PM Reason: Added thumbs;)
richnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #1506
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Platform sharing by definition is using something you already have, ie, in the parts bin. It also means they are cutting costs and using generic design, ie 'sharing'. When striving for generic or sharing it is hardly the way forward in design, it is a compromise. It's a CRV in motorcycle form, not a true 4x4, It doesn't excel at anything but does most things OK, but it is profitable, designed by accountants
They made a damn scooter on the same platform, with slightly different bits. Of course it is a compromise.

Sharing tooling cost across three models (in Europe anyway; we just get one) allows them to offer it at a lower cost. You may not like it for some functional reason (have you ridden one?) but the manufacturing process makes a lot of sense for an industry that has really struggled to move volume.

Every mfgr does this to some extent. This is the first time it has been done with such divergent outcomes, and I give them for that.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #1507
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
A dullville with new plastic...?
With maybe the exception of the Honda logo, the Deauville (NT700) and NC share zero components.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #1508
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
10 second 0-60? 16.7 second quarter mile? I know it's not supposed to be that kind of bike but ouch. From what I can find even the G650GS can rank a 13.7 in the 1/4 mile.
Edit: A KLR650 runs a 14.5!
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #1509
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
10 second 0-60? 16.7 second quarter mile? I know it's not supposed to be that kind but bike but ouch. From what I can find even the G650GS can rank a 13.7 in the 1/4 mile.
I am going to watch a few vieo's but that sounds awfully wierd to be.

I am sure that I saw one go from 60 - 190Km/h in WAY less than that.

Did they get one tonne Bob to do the acceleration tests or something?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #1510
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I am going to watch a few vieo's but that sounds awfully wierd to be.

I am sure that I saw one go from 60 - 190Km/h in WAY less than that.

Did they get one tonne Bob to do the acceleration tests or something?
I have to concur - the vids make it look quite a bit faster. Guess we'll have to see what the other mags say.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #1511
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
He told me that he would be getting some in, but couldn't tell me if they would be the manual or DCT versions. So I'm not taking a chance on a deposit with that dealer if he is going to try and stick me with a DCT.
I think there is very little danger of you 'getting stuck' with DCT because DCT versions are nowhere to be seen so far - except for Integra which doesn't have that option at all, the other two come only with standard manuals at this point. It looks like DCT will come along later... much later.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #1512
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
10 second 0-60? 16.7 second quarter mile? I know it's not supposed to be that kind of bike but ouch. From what I can find even the G650GS can rank a 13.7 in the 1/4 mile.
Edit: A KLR650 runs a 14.5!
So it's as fast as a poorly running Honda Rebel?
Who wouldn't want that kind of performance.

And the G650GS will get better gas mileage and go off road.

I don't get it.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #1513
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

0-115Km/h in about 7sec
0-150 in about 14 secs
0-160km/h in about 21

Cheers
Graham

So it depends on whether you have One Tonne Bob or a normal sized person riding it I suppose.

So either the speedo is way out or someone can't change gears.

About the same as a 2008 Ford mustang Convertable.

2008 Ford Mustang Convertible 0-60 mph 7.2 Quarter mile 15.5

I don't know how people would cope.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #1514
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It is to adventure riding what the Mustang II 4 cylinder was to muscle cars. Honda should bow their corporate heads in shame, this is the best you can do?
I don't think it's the best they can do at all.

I think they could come out with an absolutely brilliant $100,000.00 bike that weighs almost nothing, makes 300HP and no-one will buy, because you know, it would then be deemed to be a rip off.

Or they could try a really expensive Hi tech, Boxer (They have done them for years) and be accused of ripping off BMW.

Either way when you are not flavor of the month it really doesn't matter what you do.

Where was the cries of shame when BMW introduced the F650,m You know that gutless thing that only made a few HP but got great fuel economy and cost way too much?

At least the Honda doesn't cost too much.

And parts bin specials?

Like the BMW R series bikes The F series bikes? Many KTM's, Cars. Triumphs. Ducati's

You should take a good look at how many shared components are on bikes out there before knocking someone for that.

I take it you don't like it then.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #1515
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamd View Post
i don't think it's the best they can do at all.

I think they could come out with an absolutely brilliant $100,000.00 bike that weighs almost nothing, makes 300hp and no-one will buy, because you know, it would then be deemed to be a rip off.

Or they could try a really expensive hi tech, boxer (they have done them for years) and be accused of ripping off bmw.

Either way when you are not flavor of the month it really doesn't matter what you do.

Where was the cries of shame when bmw introduced the f650,m you know that gutless thing that only made a few hp but got great fuel economy and cost way too much?

At least the honda doesn't cost too much.

And parts bin specials?

Like the bmw r series bikes the f series bikes? Many ktm's, cars. Triumphs. Ducati's

you should take a good look at how many shared components are on bikes out there before knocking someone for that.

I take it you don't like it then.

+1
I would prefer a bike that some parts work on other platforms. 20 years later when you might need a certain part, You will have more of an opportunity to get said part at a reasonable price. Not to mention finding it at all.
Simple as this, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

turbodieseli4i6 screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 07:48 AM
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote